My problem with Original Sin

by leftbelow 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sparky1
    sparky1

Doug Mason,

Not wanting to be confusing about this subject, I was merely quoting the scripture that most 'so-called' Christians use to 'prove' the doctrine of original sin. Since I consider myself 'boderline agnostic' I don't look to the Bible as a final authority on the human condition or the future of humanity. I never looked to see which Psalmist wrote this and so I don't really know. Some Jewish scholars do indeed teach that there is no such thing as original sin and that the Hebrew scriptures contain no such doctrine. However, there is no hard and fast agreement that St. Augustine coined the phrase or created the doctrine of original sin. Perhaps this website will be of interest to you. I don't know how reliable it is but it adds to the discussion. http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/2011/10/st-augustine-did-not-invent-original.html

Sparky

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

It's funny Terry and Isle of Lewis. I read the book and then got the typical JW statement that "I know it's the truth and I'm too smart to abandon the truth" I responded with a line from the book "there are no contradictions so if you find two believes in contradiction one of your primisise are wrong."

I don't accept everything from any source but that book was an eye opener for me as far as my history with the Witnesses is concerned

• darth frosty
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

QUESTION for anyone reading this:

Even if you believe that the Original Sin occurred, and that our illnesses and suffering are a result of that bad decision made by Adam and Eve..

Why would a just and loving God let animals suffer, who do not sin and never have sinned?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/222352/1/Theists-why-does-God-allow-suffering

Watching a beloved pet deteriorate and die of cancer finally helped me realise that a loving and just God does not exist.

Original Sin of mankind could not justify animals having to suffer..ever.

The thread I've linked to was where everything fell into place for me.

• Isle of Lewis
    Isle of Lewis

Original Sin is just another concept of spirituality that teaches humans are evil.

You're easier to control if you reject your own mind and if you consider your own humanity a sin.

• kaik
    kaik

Jews do not believe in Original sin, and it is a teaching that is not in Judaism. It was fully formulated by St. Augustine in 4th century. Jewish beliefs uphold idea that human's life is created sinless and perfect, and human start to sin due inability to uphold G-d's laws. Therefore, orginal sin is a foreigner concept in Judaism and was proposed by Christians to ensure salvation through Jesus, while making Jewish beliefs obsolete.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Imagine how much better the world would be if the converse was taught as truth rather than the current lie: namely, that we all have worth beyond measure and have only to embrace and use it?

Amen to that ADCMS

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit