At what point in embryonic development does the soul develop?

by cantleave 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

I was reading about some amazing developments in our understanding and manipulation of pluripotent stem cells, for those interested I will post the link below.

Whilst I was reading it a question came to me - do believers think that these cells contain a "soul"? When does the soul enter the the biological entity? Is it at the time of gamete production? Or at conception? Maybe when consciousness arises?

I would love to hear opinions - in the meantime delight in the awesomeness of biological science........

http://www.the-scientist.com//?articles.view/articleNo/41643/title/New-Stem-Cell-State/

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS and some Christian groups believe that life begins at conception, when the sperm and egg unite. Thus the soul begins at that point.

• cantleave
    cantleave

That would be correct in WTS theology since they say the biological entity is the "living soul". What those that believe the soul is separable from the biology?

• cliff
    cliff

Which of course gives rise to all sorts of dilemmas and nonsense about abortion (what happens to the created souls when the foetus auto-aborts, for example?), "limbo" etc.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Doesn't a soul need a brain? According to the Mayo Clinic, the brain, spinal cord, and heart start forming in week 5.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit