One thing that's good about being a witnessi

by dothemath 27 Replies latest jw friends

• dothemath
    dothemath

I went to the mall recently .....omg! Glad I don't have to go through all the craziness over christmas shopping.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I just get all my christmas shopping done on JW.ORG....great gifts with eternal benefits!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I agree.

I read the loss that many who post here have felt due to "missing out" on Christmas through the years. Frankly, we have discussed it and we just don't share that feeling of loss. We still think it is a grossly materialized excuse for overspending and "keeping up with the Joneses". We've always been big on celebrating weddings and anniversaries as important occasions and we now "acknowledge" birthdays, sometimes even with gifts. But I never forsee us getting bigtime into the "Christmas Spirit".

Doc

• baltar447
    baltar447

In my not so humble opinion if you don't like it you are just a scrooge lol. The lights, the festivity. Sure it feels alien but IMO all of you guys need to shake the cult peogramming more fully.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Leaving

• finally awake
    finally awake

I don't like the craziness of the shopping frenzy, but I simply adjust my shopping habits to avoid the crowds. I get it done early and relax, and I don't overspend

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm not overly fond of Xmas (and I find Xmas shopping kind of a pain in the ass), but my family really enjoys it, so...

• blondie
    blondie

You don't have to be a jw to dislike xmas shopping; I find many men hate it and wait till the last minute.

You are free of rules to live your life, don't pick up a new set.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I hated and still hate that poor excuse used by the JWs to show how being in the truth spare them from the agravation of Christmas shopping and overspending on gifts. Not one of them considers that most people find pleasure in giving during the holidays...and when they say that they don't have to wait for a holiday to make a gift, how often do they actually do it? Never. Another thing that annoyed me was how they criticize how people support charities more during the holidays, when they should do it all year long...well JWs, when do you ever support food banks or toy drives? Never.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I am a Christmas freak! I have three trees in my house that I put up before Thanksgiving and my shopping is 95% done, within budget.

Never once have I felt that holiday decorating and gift giving were a burden. I absolutely love shopping for my nieces and nephews and even my son, though he is 13 and is hard to buy for.

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day see us getting together with family, some whom we rarely see other than holidays. It truly is a holiday of love and joy for my family and me.

Edited to add: When you suffer from Seasonal Depression, the joy of Christmas is the one thing that really helps me survive the cold, dark winter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit