Help with Magazine Article Regarding 1975 and Jesus

by Tenacious 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Hello to all.

I need help finding a quote written in an article not sure if it was Awake or Watchtower.

It may have been the years 68' or 69 but I remember distinctly that it mentioned 1975 was approaching very quickly and that it was not time to be fooling around with Jesus' words about no one knowing the date or the hour.

Thanks!

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Never mind guys, I actually found it. It's the 1968 August 15 Watchtower under the heading "1975!...And Far Beyond!

Here's the actual quote:

"One thing is absolutely certain, Bible chronology reinforced with fulfilled Bible prophecy shows that six thousand years of man’s existence will soon be up, yes, within this generation! (Matt. 24:34) This is, therefore, no time to be indifferent and complacent. This is not the time to be toying with the words of Jesus that “concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Matt. 24:36) To the contrary, it is a time when one should be keenly aware that the end of this system of things is rapidly coming to its violent end. Make no mistake, it is sufficient that the Father himself knows both the “day and hour”!"

The highlighted part is the perhaps the most incredible words I have ever seen come out of Brooklyn. There's actually no words to describe this.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I just posted that on another thread earlier today :-) What's extra funny about that quote is to contrast it with this material from 1976:

*** w76 7/15 pp. 433-434 par. 8 Keeping a Balanced View of Time ***
    So, when Jehovah God makes known a certain time for the outworking of some feature of his divine purpose, his faithful servants can rely implicitly on the exactness of the published schedule. But when he has not made such announcement, then it remains beyond their ability and power to determine the time of the realization of that purpose. That is the case with the timing of the outbreak of the “great tribulation” that God’s Son foretold, a time of divine judgment that opens the way for the start of the thousand-year Kingdom rule, which will bring untold blessings for this earth and its inhabitants.—Matt. 24:21, 22; Rev. 7:14-17.

*** w76 7/15 p. 440 par. 11, 15-17 A Solid Basis for Confidence ***
    11 It may be that some who have been serving God have planned their lives according to a mistaken view of just what was to happen on a certain date or in a certain year. They may have, for this reason, put off or neglected things that they otherwise would have cared for. But they have missed the point of the Bible’s warnings concerning the end of this system of things, thinking that Bible chronology reveals the specific date.

15 But it is not advisable for us to set our sights on a certain date, neglecting everyday things we would ordinarily care for as Christians, such as things that we and our families really need. We may be forgetting that, when the “day” comes, it will not change the principle that Christians must at all times take care of all their responsibilities. If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.

16 However, say that you are one who counted heavily on a date, and, commendably, set your attention more strictly on the urgency of the times and the need of the people to hear. And say you now, temporarily, feel somewhat disappointed; are you really the loser? Are you really hurt? We believe you can say that you have gained and profited by taking this conscientious course. Also, you have been enabled to get a really mature, more reasonable viewpoint.—Eph. 5:1-17.

17 The Scriptures repeatedly tell us that the end will come as a complete surprise upon the world. The apostle spoke of this, saying: “You yourselves know quite well that Jehovah’s day [for judgment] is coming exactly as a thief in the night.” (1 Thess. 5:2) So that true Christians would not be ‘overtaken as thieves,’ Jesus said even to his disciples back there, and to us today: “Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.” Thereafter he said: “Prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.” (Matt. 24:42-44) These clear statements of Jesus indicate that God’s servants will never be given the date of Christ’s “coming” for judgment until it actually takes place. In fact, it will come at what appears to them an ‘unlikely’ time.—Luke 12:39, 40.

-----------------------

These study articles appear to have been part of a sort of "Post-1975 Blame Game" issue of the Watchtower.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Too bad the WTS leaders didn't take notice of Jesus's own condemnation of man setting a time on god's sacred time,

making any specific set time or date/ year unscriptural. ......1874 , 1914, 1925 ,1975 etc.

Oh well I guess they were too busy trying to sell and proliferate their publications to read and be respectful to what Jesus Christ had to say.

Most JWs living today don't even realize that the Watchtower Corporation had previously used the 6000 dating scheme back (early 1900's) when he was the head

editorial writer for the WTS.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

wow! now thats the second truly BRAZEN thing ive read this week from them!

just ignore the bible why dont they!

• smiddy
    smiddy

If i`ve said it once I`ve said it a thousand times ( slight exageration ) jehovahs witnesses speak with a forked tongue / they speak out of both sides of their mouth .

smiddy

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

So if you didn't get married have kids or take out a pension that would be...........................your own fault???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit