Looking to Move in a few years?

by Still Totally ADD 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

My wife and I are thinking about moving to central TN somewhere between Crossville and Cookeville. Maybe even as far west to Lebanon or as far east to Hariman. Things have changes so much for us in the last 6 months we would like to live were it is a little warmer with lots of wild herbs for my wife who is a herbalist and for me so I can garden more. I don't want to live to close to Cleveland TN that is where my elder borther lives. Thats all I need is to have him visit me and try to tell me how wrong I am. We both lived in Knoxville back in the early 80's for 2 years so we know a little about the State. Thinking about doing this close to the time we retire. Thanks for all your help on this matter. Still Totally ADD

• Honesty
    Honesty

Crossville and Cookeville are both pretty but they are on top of the Cumberland plateau.

They get more snow than the towns down in the Tennessee Valley. A lot of snow sometimes.

Harriman is nice but it gets a lot of snow, too.

If you don't mind living a little more to the east, Oak Ridge is nice but you will be close to the nuclear facility.

North Knoxville is pretty nice and not as much traffic as west Knoxville.

Maryville is really great.

Walland and Townsend are too but expect snow.

Seymour is nice and small. It is about 15 miles south of the center of Knoxville.

Do you need to work?

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Thank you Honesty for your help on this. Last year here in NW PA we got 100 inches of snow and 24 days below zero. We lived in E Knoxville for 2 years in the early 80's and we know Maryville for I use to work down there. I don't know if I want to live near Knoxville or not. Hopefully we will be getting SS money but we will have to work a small part time job to get by. Whatever we buy it will have to be a fixer-upper. I was in construction for 40 years and this is what I am good at. Both my wife and I work as personal care givers in peoples homes. It's pretty easy work for me. So we would most likely do the same thing down there but less of it. I remember Seymour but it is to close to my brother. Still Totally ADD

• Mum
    Mum

Hi, STADD. Tennessee is an excellent choice, with some of the most beautiful scenery and kindest people anywhere. I am originally from Claiborne County, Tennessee, on the Kentucky (Bell County) and Virginia (Lee County) border. It is one of the most beautiful places in the U.S. There are several small towns there - Speedwell (my favorite for scenic beauty), Cumberland Gap (a village of fewer than 300 people), Harrogate (home of Lincoln Memorial University), Tazewell, and New Tazewell. The roads used to have lots of hairpin turns, but modern engineering makes driving easy these days. Cumberland Gap National Historical Park is there, too.

If you could visit the area and take a look around, you might fall in love with it!

Best wishes in your search!

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

my son lives in the nashville tn outskirts, he says its pretty nice, Iwent down to see him and he took me to a cute little town called franklin, just outsde of nashville, that franklin reminds me a little of the franklin in pa. cute walking around town sort of town.

we also went to the opreyland hotel, to see the inside gardens, really cool.

the tax in tn is 10 percent on everything, but they have no income tax, nashville is only a few hrs from louisville. stuff is fairly similar in price as in pa.

there are many new jobs availiable in and around nashville, so its worth a look.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Franklin, TN sounds like an excellent choice. Go there for a look-see. It's convenient to be NEAR a larger city but not IN one.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I remember Seymour but it is to close to my brother. Still Totally ADD

Seymour is south of Knoxville and east of Maryville. It is farther from Cleveland than either of them and housing is cheap there.

It is only about 2 miles from my home to the outskirts of Seymour. Lots of farms and pasture land with some subdivisions, mobile homes and brick or frame ranchers.

You can find plenty of nice 3 BR houses on an acre lot in the area for under $100,000.

• Raton
    Raton

I live in Kingston. It's nice and not a far ride to Knoxville.

• just fine
    just fine

We are planning a move to TN as well - this is great information. Anyone know much about Tullahoma? We have visited the Nashville area and really liked Franklin too. We have also visited the Bristol area and Knoxville. Next up is the Chattanooga area.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Hey just fine I was on the internet looking at homes in Tullahoma just last night. Very nice area. We both would like to live out in the country close but not to close to a city. Cooksville looks nice also. Raton Kingston is real nice also. Been there that was back in 1982. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit