Has Anyone See The Giver, and If so, Do you Relate It to the Watch Tower?

by jamiebowers 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I just watched it on DVD, and Holy Cow, I can see so many similarities to the Watch Tower! I don't want to give anythng away for those who would like to see it, but I really wish the way it ended was a possibility in Watch Tower world.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Haven't seen it but I heard it was a good movie.

I've watched Maze Runner and the similarities to the WT is eerie to say the least.

• hoser
    hoser

I watched it with mrs hoser. It is worth watching. A lot of jw isms

• cult classic
    cult classic

just put it in my netflix queue, will check it out.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Just finished reading the book. It was definitely easy to see the similarities but also those with our current world in general.

• Mum
    Mum

All high control groups operate the same way. I watched a movie (the title of which I do not recall) about the Mafia and saw lots of similarities to the borg.

• ivanatahan
    ivanatahan

I agree with Mum, any high control groups suh as Big Brother, the Giver society, Mazerunner (in a way, but I feel it isn't really high control in the same way), and others simulate the Watchtower Society with striking accuracy.

• WideAwake7
    WideAwake7

I saw that movie last weekend with my family ...when the word "ELDERS" came out .We all looked at each other with that same look. it was funny we have faded away now for a few years and when some of these words come out it still makes you uncomfortable . The movie was helpful to relate on this bothersome mind control that to this day makes me still angry .... So Blind , So foolish . I am glad it's over with.

• RobertT18
    RobertT18

Read the book when I was at high school and yes there are a lot of similarities

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I saw it a couple days ago, and it's funny; in retrospect, the "elder" thing didn't even register.

x

I dunno, movies about authoritarian or opressive regimes don't seem to trigger WT-related anxiety in me.

Maybe it's because I've always been such a movie geek (*much to the chagrin of every JW loyalist I've ever known, LOL) that it's served as a kind of psychological immunization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit