UBER-WITNESS: THE ELITE FORCE . . . a study in how a fanatic is created

by Terry 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

UBER-WITNESSES

At what point in the average person's life does he/she reach a crossroads between purposeful pursuit of a life's goal and mad fanaticism?

How can they recover?

How can they help others to recover?

We have all known these automatons; these uber-witnesses.

We might even have BEEN ONE ourselves!

The Uber-Witness can make an excuse for any Watchtower mistake at the crack of a whip!

The Uber-Witness manufactures automatic trust for the GB wherever they go. They invented "Wait on Jehovah."

You know how the NAVY SEALS attract the best of the best?

They get rid of every applicant except the ones who can endure the most misery.

They eliminate every man except the guy who will take orders, eat shit, ignore pain, and march into hell without question.

Where do these people come from? Are they born or made? Were you one? Do you know any?

First off, we need to do something called DISAMBIGUATION.

Disambiguation refers to the removal of ambiguity by making something clear. Disambiguation narrows down the meaning of words and it's a good thing. This word makes sense if you break it down. Dis means "not," ambiguous means"unclear," and the ending -tion makes it a noun.

Let's begin with the difference and distinction between a person who is STUBBORN rather than TENACIOUS.

STUBBORN: having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.

TENACIOUS: not readily abandoning a principled course of action

Historical Example:

When William Miller, a Baptist lay preacher and war hero, used his amateur research to produce Bible-supported predictions for the

2nd Advent of Jesus Christ, thousands of church-going, god-fearing Christians listened and prepared themselves for the event.

The Great Disappointment caused MOST of those people to shrug and go back to their church and cross Miller off as an eccentric.

Oh--but wait!

Those who were STUBBORN and those who were TENACIOUS were about to be DISAMBIGUATED from each other!

Another secondary prediction was made and it too utterly FAILED.

At this point, those who were TENACIOUS were guided by principle (false prophecy=false prophet) returned to their church and said, "Good riddance."

The STUBBORN folks would not back down and admit they were wrong.

STEP ONE: STUBBORN folks formed the foundation of a new religion and subsequent splinter groups.

Out of the 2nd Adventist movement there were branches. Each group made predictions, made excuses.

Can you see what was happening?

Instead of a survival of the fittest--this was a survival of the most stubborn.

Good, decent, honorable, kind and loving people are not immune to stubbornness!

Why?

Basic confusion about the Bible and the role of Interpretation.

Let me inject a bit of humor.

There is a famous joke about a child who wakes up on Christmas morning and is surprised to find a heap of horse manure under the tree instead of a collection of presents. Yet, the child is not discouraged because he has an extraordinarily optimistic outlook on life. His parents discover him enthusiastically shoveling the manure as he exclaims, “With all this manure, there must be a pony somewhere!”

The above illustrates a foolish optimism.

2nd Adventists were clinging to a false idea with foolish optimism. They would not stop shoveling shit to get to the 'pony' which

was the FIRM DATE of Jesus 2nd coming.

By the time Charles Taze Russell arrives on the scene the piles and piles of manure were stacked everywhere!

All he had to do was pick and choose which horse turds he wanted in his special pile!

All the hard manual labor had been done already!

The Gentile Times, the invisible 2nd coming, and the dispensation patterns of history were a done deal by Adventists and other offshoot groups.

Russell had enough money to make his own pile of shit last a long, long time.

Russell was the first UBER-WITNESS (although the term 'Jehovah's witness' appeared in his writings only as referring to the Great Pyramid.)

Why can I call Pastor Russell the first UBER-WITNESS and not William Miller?

Miller admitted his mistake publicly, apologized, and retired as a public purveyor of horse shit.

Russell refused to back down. He was tenacious at first and later disambiguated himself as a STUBBORN man to the core.

Russell knew merchandising techniques and the need for NOVELTY.

He also knew how to use his family fortune to create a high-profile publishing empire. He hired a sales force.

He had newspaper columns, performed large venue sermons, created the Photo Drama of Creation and toured the world.

Russell was the first UBER-WITNESS because he used every trick in the book for PUBLICITY around his novel ideas.

Novel ideas? Yes, he combined the public fascination with PYRAMIDOLOGY with Religous flim-flam to produce FALSE DATES

and assure his readers of their certainty.

Do you see what is going to happen?

The next generation of UBER-WITNESS is primed and ready to be disambiguated by testing failures.

The tenacious will split off from the stubborn again and again.

STEP TWO: PUBLICITY and SPECTACLE

Judge Rutherford was the 2nd UBER-WITNESS.

He parlayed what remained of Watchtower finances, assets, staff and goodwill into a SPECTACLE of horseshit.

Each new crazy idea of Rutherford eliminated more and more Adventists, Bible students, home missionary people, etc.

Who was left? Why, the STUBBORN, bull-headed, illogical, pony-believers who shoveled the Judges shit year by year.

Judge Rutherford demanded more and more for the stubborn members. He was creating the Navy Seals and he wanted

people willing to die for the cause. His reinterpretation of Romans 13:1,2 sent thousands to jail, Nazi camps, courtrooms and

cost many lives. Rutherford wanted UBER-WITNESSES for a special PUBLICITY SPECTACLE= MARTYRS.

Rutherfords 'Jehovah's Witnesses' would make those merely tenacious Bible Students, Russellites, Christadelphians, 7th Day Adventists

look like sissies, or so he imagined.

Rutherford put swagger and defiance into his theology. He was accompanied by the "cane-boys" as a bodyguard armed with hickory walking

sticks to be used to beat back the unruly!

The Judge was a heavy drinker who sent the Bethel boys to Canada on a moonshine run in defiance of Federal Law.

Rutherford gave vicious public sermons condemning almost everybody: preachers, priests, businessmen, politicians, Catholics--venomously.

He and Olin Moyle and Hayden C. Covington battled the Supreme Court arguing for freedom to practice the most outlandish belief.

Simultaneously, the 40,000 members were governed by an iron fist which denied the emergent JW's access to their own conscience!

STEP THREE: MISSIONARY ZEAL and HOMESPUN AMATEUR THEOLOGIANS

Turning ragtag books salesmen into ministers was the idea of the 3rd Watchtower president, Nathan Knorr accompanied by his henchman, Fred Franz.

FREDDY FRANZ is the 3rd UBER-WITNESS.

Why?

Franz had a photographic memory, a wild imagination, 100% confidence in his authority to divine the mind of Jehovah.

Franz single-handedly invented the tons and tons of enigmatic rules, regulations and invidious teachings of Pharisee-like laws to burden

the sifted fanatics left over after all the shake-ups, flops, fizzles and failures.

Once the Disfellowship rules piled high enough to regulate every breath, every thought, every movement of Jehovah's Witnesses world wide,

the Navy Seal program was finished and ready to commence manufacturing UBER-WITNESSES by the truckload.

From Rutherford's 40,000 to today's 7,000,000+ members, the tenacious are separated from the STUBBORN with machine-like precision.

STEP FOUR: PUBLIC FAILURE=PERFECT BLIND BELIEF

The history of failed Watchtower predictions means little or nothing to modern day Jehovah's Witnesses. Ex-members can recite

the dates with ease, but JW's shrug it off easily. Why?

First of all, cognitive dissonance works best when contradictions come before the consciousness to frighten the true-believer into

a full retreat inside his belief system. Remember: STUBBORN not tenacious!

No righteous principles are involved when you have black and white disproof before you.

The choice is emotional.

Today's JW can be squished into shape easily by their ORGANIZATION.

This latter day mafia of GB whim and whimsy is changing everything daily while members salivate and cheer them on.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

In addition to cognitive dissonance, total FEAR of losing one's family and only 'friends' is too much to risk losing.

The average JW fears being disgraced, shunned and excluded by disfellowship MORE than the fear of Armageddon.

How so? Armageddon is an illusion, but shunning is real.

_____________________-

FEAR controls everything inside the Kingdom Hall.

Fear is joined by an exhausting demand for more and more 'service.'

Statistics, money, total loyalty and unquestioning obedience is the order of the day every day.

Today's UBER-WITNESS is the evolutionary survivor of generations of crucible-tested stubborn fanatics who refused to admit

they were wrong.

Today's UBER-WITNESS can excuse any failure by the Governing Body.

Today's UBER-WITNESS may know inside their heart of hearts there is 'something not quite right' but they are too fearful

to discuss it with anybody. They will lose everything.

_____________________-

Were you ever the UBER-WITNESS?

I was.

I went to Federal Prison for a so-called fake neutrality issue which didn't exist anywhere but in the mind of Freddy Franz.

I was a Pioneer wasting 100 hours each month as an evangelist shit-shoveler piling manure on people's doorsteps.

I would argue, debate, pontificate, and never listen to anything an opponent had to say because I was only preparing my

next conditioned rebuttal.

When I 'woke up' it was because of PTSD after a period of depression following my assault in prison.

Something was tearing me apart and I had to deal with it.

I moved away from my local Kingdom Hall and my family and threw myself into a career.

My new friends were simply 'Christian' and they demanded nothing from me but friendship.

I experienced what a real friend meant.

By trying to fade (I was later DF'd) I got enough fresh air and sunshine in my life I could clearly deal with

my cognitive dissonance.

It took me at least 10 years after leaving the Kingdom Hall to be able to begin removing the UBER-WITNESS

mindset.

Now here it is, 36 years post shunning and I look back on that fantastic loss of youth, time and

lost opportunities, and I see as though standing on a mountain top. I was too damned prideful and stubborn.

I was fearful. I was a cog in a machine; unloved and used.

At what point in the average person's life does he/she reach a crossroads between purposeful pursuit of a life's goal and mad fanaticism?

The answer is clear to me now.

I became a Jehovah's Witness because I didn't fit in.

I was an only child without a father.

Being a JW offered me"brothers and sisters" and a heavenly"father."

I needed purpose and direction in life.

Jehovah's Witnesses told me I could do a life-saving work for Almighty God.

JW's offered to train me as a minister. I learned to be a public speaker although I was very shy.

I learned to meet strangers and convince them of extraordinary things.

I was able to go from being a momma's boy to a federal prisoner among hardened criminals.

Why? I believed I was being protected by Jehovah God.

Well, the day I was grabbed from behind and I asked for Jehovah's help--there was a deafening silence.

____________________-

Do you know when your MOMENT came where you made the wrong turn?

Do you know why you were susceptible?

If you do, please share it.

Let's help others to throw down their shovel so they can give up on the missing pony.

Let's offer them the opportunity to create a new life of FREEDOM.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Terry - "His parents discover him enthusiastically shoveling the manure as he exclaims, 'With all this manure, there must be a pony somewhere!'"

Conveniently forgetting to ask himself, "why would I want a pony covered in shit?"

Terry - "The average JW fears being disgraced, shunned and excluded by disfellowship MORE than the fear of Armageddon."

I'd almost forgotten that, but it's very true.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Do you know why you were susceptible?

That is the $64,000 question that has been bouncing around in my head for quite some time. From an outsider's POV, at the age of 18 (back in 1975), I had it made. Full scholarship to UVA (University of Virginia), star athlete in track, all the girls... I lacked nothing, or so I thought. I wasn't raised a witness. How could I end up wasting over 30 years of my life in a cult? I'll try to write out how I 'think' it happened over the weekend (offline) and post it later. And the really sad thing is that I was never 'all-in'.

Always enjoy your thought-provoking posts. Not sure most of the time how to reply...

• Terry
    Terry

In my local congregation w-a-a-a-a-ay back when, there was a brother who was certainly an Uber-Witness.

Brother H. T. Jones, as I recall.

He was built like a cast iron furnace. When he shook hands, your own hand disappeared into his hairy paw

and a sickening crunch soon followed.

His specialty was cornering members and subjecting them to an intense conversation about some aspect of

their service with a view to creating discomfort, no doubt. At least, few came away with joy in their heart but him.

These sudden appearances were blitzkrieg. Before you could shout inwardly,"OH SHIT!" Brother Jones had you

withering under his steely dolls eyes like Spielberg's shark. There was no wiggle room, only inevitable surrender.

One day I was walking down the street minding my own damn business when a large truck slowed, made a U-turn and

puttered up beside me as I strolled. My policy--to ignore such predations, of course.

There was a minute of me walking and the truck ominously creeping beside me along the edge of the street.

Presently, the truck sped up just enough to cut over in front of me!

The window rolled down and the monstrous head of Brother Jones appeared like a storm cloud full of thunder and bolts of

crackling electrical malevolence.

He glowered silently. I paused with the no doubt, classic deer-in-the-headlights realization I was doomed.

I waited for a greeting. I could have waited till the sun went down. Nonesuch occurred.

His clipped monotone was abrupt and imperious, "Get in, Brother Walstrom"

"Oh, thanks for the offer, Brother Jones. You see, I'm out getting some refreshing exercise and. . . "

"GET IN."

And I did. (You would have as well!)

It felt to me like how a victim might well feel if their soon-to-be murderer tossed them a shovel and

ordered them to dig a hole. . . and make it deep!

Once inside the cab of his truck, he turned only his head on a neck the thickness of a tree trunk.

The impression was like that of an enormous owl.

"Have you made out a daily schedule?" His voice was flat, without a trace of human feeling.

My mind's computer sorted, collated and presented me with context; which was more than Jones had done.

At the previous Service Meeting, a talk was given telling all JW's to create a personal schedule to manage their

every waking moment. The purpose, it was now suddenly clear to me, was to prevent idiots such as myself from

wasting time walking down the street instead of knocking on doors.

I had to decide in a flash of an instant whether or not to play this game with Brother Jones. Some part of me

bristled. I got angry instead of defensive!

"Sure. In fact, I'm scheduled to be about a block from here at this very moment--had you not stopped me." I grinned.

No trace of emotion on his side of the truck!

"When you sit down to make your schedule do you know how you are supposed to start it?"

This was pure condescension. Now I was getting steamed and my better judgment was about to take a hike. I don't

like people whose intention is intimidation!

"Of course. First things first. Second things second. Third things third--well, I think you can see where this is headed."

His eyes narrowed only by a millimeter or so. He had no sense of humor or sarcasm or--well, he had nothing personable to offer.

"You put the things you HAVE TO DO first. Our service to Jehovah is what goes to the top of the list. Everything else goes second."

Parsing this flash of infinite wisdom in my head, I pursed my lips thoughtfully.

"Hmm, where do FOOD, SHELTER, CLOTHING go? All number two? Does it matter which order? What about bathroom breaks?"

I guarantee you, this man did not detect for an instant of time that I was anything but serious . . . and clueless!

He sat there. He. . . just. . . sat there.

I just sat there. I. . . just. . . sat there. That is, until I couldn't take the torture any longer.

"Well, thanks Brother Jones for this little chat!" I grabbed the door handle and swung my escape route wide. Inches away

was sunlight, fresh air, and FREEDOM. . . if only I could make it out alive!

Jones' hairy mitt--I was soon horrified to notice--was now on my elbow. He had SOMETHING ELSE to say!

His voice changed. Perceptibly. I can't say how exactly.

"I have an hour sermon this Sunday at the congregation in Denton. I have to go out of town. I need for you to give it in my place.

The outline is in the glove box."

The expression, "What the fuck" was not in my vocabulary. At least, not at that time. If it were, I could scarce restrain it from my lips

at that moment! I did manage to compose myself long enough to utter the word, "Huh?"

So, that is why he stopped me. The pretext of counsel on how to make a schedule was just bullshit. It was a Friday and the

sermon was two days away. Lucky for him he saw me.

I delivered the talk in Denton. The title was, as I recall--"HOW PRACTICAL IS THE SEARCH FOR WEALTH."

Now I ask you, who was the REAL uber-witness in that situation?

(edited to add: After the hour talk that Sunday in Denton, I was approached by several JW's who praised the presentation

and I particularly recall one brother saying, "How long did it take you to work up that talk, a couple of months?"

I deflected a direct reply. If I told him the accurate answer I'd be accused of showing off. I think I said something

like,"I just followed the outline.")

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

What an excellent post Terry. I always enjoy your writing but this particular article got my attention big time.

Though I was an elder and PO, I never considered myself uber only because I knew that often times I was shoveling shit of some sort or other. (Just wouldn't admit it)

Ive been recently asked why I kept doing it. I'm not really sure if it was peer pressure, stubbornness or sheer stupidity. It took some time even after the blinders were removed to fully admit to myself and others that it was all a pile of shit and even after being out for 7 years my spirituallity has and is still tainted. I have a hard time believing in anything.

• Terry
    Terry

Ldrnomo: Ive been recently asked why I kept doing it. I'm not really sure if it was peer pressure, stubbornness or sheer stupidity. It took some time even after the blinders were removed to fully admit to myself and others that it was all a pile of shit and even after being out for 7 years my spirituallity has and is still tainted. I have a hard time believing in anything.

I think of the birds in the Fort Worth Zoo's 'Rainforest" exhibit.

There is no glass to prevent those birds from flying out of the enclosure. There is only darkness.

The actual habitat has just enough lighting, dripping water, trees and flora to be comfortable enough.

THE FEAR OF OUTER DARKNESS keeps those birds within an invisible boundary.

I often think about that fear.

• LogCon
    LogCon

m

• Terry
    Terry

FadeToBlack: How could I end up wasting over 30 years of my life in a cult?

Males can aspire to be a BIG fish in the small pond of the Kingdom Hall with noblesse oblige the order of the day.

I can't really imagine how most Brothers would fare if they suddenly had to face a non-compliant

'wordly' wife instead of the subjection-martyr Sisterhood of witnessdom. You know how it goes, "In the country

of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

"Honey, what did you do today?"

"Just out savin' the world."

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Well Terry to answer your question " Do you know when you made the MOMENT when you made the wrong turn.?"

Well Terry that " moment" was today.

But i made the mistake of shopping clothes at a charity shop. I am now dressed in fawn troucers and a pola neck jumper. ( Buying my Armani Jeans and trendy clothes cost less in the sales)

Anyway i also bought a few electrical appliances which will probably burn the house down, and if i had a record player i could put a few L.P.s on. ( Abba, Yes. Nolan Sisters) uggggg what was i thinking? At least i didn't buy " The Waltons" D.V.D.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

@Terry:

Males can aspire to be a BIG fish in the small pond of the Kingdom Hall with noblesse oblige the order of the day.

That wasn't my desire at all. Even though I was much more qualified than 99% of the elders I ever met, I had no desire to be in their shoes. I was perfectly happy to help out with the more mundane things. I think I just needed some structure in my life. Probably would have been better to be in the military.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit