Mass Slaughter of Animals in Hindu Festival

by cofty 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

All the animal sacrifice accounts in the Bible have always made me uncomfortable. I do not think I ever bought into the idea that this was instructed by God. I kind of always knew this was just screwed up humans doing screwed up things in the name of God as has always been done.

Seeing the Hindu slaughter is sickening. Not so much because all those animals died (as was mentioned, hundreds of millions/billions of animals are slaughtered every year around the world for meat consumption), but because of the brutality of it and the lack of compassion for a humane slaughter. The wastefulness. The bloodlust.

Industrial animal farming is also very brutal. They treat animals as protein blobs and their lives are miserable. It does not have to be this way. There are ways to raise and slaughter animals that are very humane. I am very familiar with these types of humane practices.

Back to the OP, yes, the similarities between the animal sacrifices of the OT and the brutal Hindu carnage cannot be ignored. It is reprehensible.

Let us not forget, we are all *supposed to be* worshipping a God that instructed Abraham to sacrifice his son, which he was willing to do. I, for one, never ever believed that story in the Bible. I think it is bullshit and no loving God would ever test "His friend" like that. Just another wacked out story in the Bible.

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

I think it is bullshit and no loving God would ever test "His friend" like that. Just another wacked out story in the Bible.

He sacrificed his own son... Man creating God in his image?

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

Yea, Richard Haley, that is a hard one for me to get my head around too. I am not sure what to think on that. I guess that is where some sort of faith is supposed to kick in and I let that one go. Just wait and see what proves to be. ;-) But I sure as hell am not going to be marching around preaching to others things that I could not possibly understand and *act* like we know what we are talking about. I am sure you feel the same.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

cofty: Thousands of animals have been slaughtered at a religious ceremony in Nepal. The Gadhimai festival takes place every 5 years. Apparently some imaginary deity can be bribed by the sight of blood.

Before getting too judgemental does it remind you of anybody?

One of my lecturer's described a busy day (during a festival) at the second Jewish Temple in the time of Jesus. Possible thousands of animals were sacrificed there also, and you can imagine the noise of the animals, the piles of animal sh*t, the piles of animal guts, the smell of all that plus the BBQed meat. All supposed by the brainless worshippers to have some meaning in their relationship with their imaginery God, and that all the bad smells were a 'sweet odor' to Yahweh.

Keep that mental image of a busy festival day at the Temple, and now see how idiotic is the description given in an early (circa 155 CE) Christian document entitled, The Martyrdom of Polycarp, which describes the arrest, trial and execution by burning*** of Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna. (ch.14)

" ... bound, like a splendid ram chosen from a great flock for a sacrifice, a burnt offering prepared and acceptable to God, "

*** And if anyone needs proof that Christians live in an imaginery world, consider what the author writes in Ch. 15:

And as a mighty flame blazed up,

"we saw a miracle (we that is, to whom it was given to see)."

And goes on to describe how (miraculously) the fire arched around the body of Polycarp, and there in the middle of the arch of flame, they could see and smell the burning Polycarp ...

"... not like flesh burning but like bread baking ... For we also perceived a fragrant odour, as it it were the scent of incense..."

But human or animal - its all the same to Yahweh and Jesus, and whatever Hindu divinity, to whom the Nepali sacrifices were offered.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Apparently some imaginary deity can be bribed by the sight of blood.

Almost scary to think that it was this same type of barbaric and backwards civilization that wrote the bible and and other "holy" books. And we now mold our lives according to the inventions they wrote.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Thats just 500 buffalo! Can you picture the billions in Armaggedon? But Jehovah is a god of love. Yeah Right!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit