VISIBILITY

by LostGeneration 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Breakfast of Champions mentioned this on the elder appointment thread and it struck a chord with me.

Is this term big in Bethel? Obviously nothing in my bible says a thing about being 'seen' in serve-us or in other JW activities, but a long time bethelite went off on a VISIBILITY tirade that I remember distinctly during special servants/elders meeting when I was in. I remember at the time thinking that the big J-Dog in the heavens sees everything, so why the big fuss over the rank and file seeing us do stuff for the big J-dog?

Anyway, any else have any 'you must be visible' experiences?

• happy@last
    happy@last

Countless times I remember COs in pioneer meetings telling the pioneers to be out at weekends also to be visible, as if it wasn't enough that you gave all your time through the week.

• likeabird
    likeabird

It's all about appearances.

All show and no substance.

• tunnistaja.ee
    tunnistaja.ee

Dunno if I get the question correct but still, what's this post about? Don't we all know that corporations like the watchtower manipulate with scritures (which is very easy, because they are vague) to suit their business needs? Other cults do it too. Or do you want to say that Mormon, Moonie, Sci-fi etc teachings make perfect sense to you?

If it smells like shit, looks like shit and sticks like shit, then highly likely it is a shit. Same goes for religious looney ballooney.

• hoser
    hoser

I know a pioneer sister that was given the ultimatum about being visible in the ministry.

She did weekday service and often worked alone. The circuit overseer told her she had to be more visible in the ministry or else lose her "priviliges". She chose the latter, quit pioneering and moved out west somewhere.

• Honesty
    Honesty

likeabird says:

It's all about appearances.

All show and no substance.

You just nailed the religion for what it is.

• suavojr
    suavojr

The major problem with the JW religion is that you are rewarded with “privileges” when you put on a good show. They never consider if the person shows genuine love, empathy, forgiveness, etc. if you have a clean cut appearance and you are a “YES” man, you will move up.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

tunnistaja.ee - Its about use of the phrase "being visible" which isn't mentioned (as far as I know) in their literature. Its a buzzword/catch phrase used by certain elders to encourage behavioural control. Its not enough to just report 10-15 hours of field service, you have to be seen to be considered a spiritual man. And of course Jesus advice was to actually not be visible in your spiritual activity! Ironic much?

What I'm asking is if this phrase is used frequently at Bethel, and if other JWs have heard it a lot in other congos.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Among the Spanish congos they se the term "give support with your presence" and the result is the same.

• tunnistaja.ee
    tunnistaja.ee

LostGeneration: Got it. Let me explain. I'm half way around the globe but the same thing in basically direct translation was hammered on every CO meeting with elders and MSs year after year. The way I viewed this, it was just a way of saying

"Ok we know you fuckers make up over half the time you report and, well, it's even ok with us. We need you, the yes-men, and we need the batshit crazy 100-hour pioneer sisters and we acknowledge that we can't get the both in one person most of the time. But for fuck sake, please understand this: those same batshit crazy sisters need to think that you are spiritual men. So it becomes that you must show your friggin face at least on weekends. If you can't go to preaching, just attend the field service meeting. If you can't stay out even for an hour, just make a few return visits. All in all, goddamnit, do something! Otherwize the sis's will eventually figure out that this is just a corporation with a pyramide scheme in it's core!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit