Went to a non-Witness memorial service

by CaptainSchmideo 9 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

This was a service at a Southern Baptist church for the father of a teacher at my son's school. We had developed a friendship with her over the past few years, and I had met her father, knew about his terminal illness, and I wanted to pay my respects.

I have to tell you, it was a better show than the average JW "ceremony".

First, lots of personal tributes about the man they were memorializing. Uplifting stories, funny stories, serious stories, describing a real life individual that many in that room knew and were going to dearly miss.

Lots of singing! Both from the audience, and from the men's chorus that he belonged to.

Since he had a sideline as a clown (a preaching clown, no less) named "Floppo", red noses were distributed to those gathered, and they requested that they be worn as a sign of remembrance.

The one thing that struck a sour note with me was the assertion that was made by one of the ministers (twice) was that if anyone in the audience was not a "Christian", they needed to be prepared for a destination after death that was not nearly as fun and joyful as the deceased had just moved onto. And of course, I am sure that "Christian" meant "Southern Baptist".

I must confess that I did sing along with the group from the hymnal that was in front of me. I was thrilled to sing something that was more musically complex than the "three blind mice" tunes that have become standard at the hall. SInce a bolt of lightning didn't come through the roof and smite me, I guess I will be okay for a while yet.

It was a little long (two hours) , but those hours flew like an SST in comparison to two hours at a Sunday meeting at the KH. And the daughter was very appreciative of me being there, so it was worth it.

The entire experience really drove home the point to me how sterile, unloving, and un Christian a "memorial service" at the KH is. We want bread, we are given stones.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

It is interesting to experience the way different groups of people celebrate someones life when they pass,

as you say not the dry, unappetizing infomercial we hear at the hall. I attended several different groups

before becoming a witness so I already knew how bland the JW services were in comparison.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

You say the hours flew like SST, what does that stand for?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Captain Schmideo, the first nonJW memorial service I attended blew me away because it was not an infomercial for the 'faithless and diseased slobbers' and the deceased was actually remembered (memorialized) and not with just a sentence or two bragging how many years he had pioneered or served as an elder.

The one thing that struck a sour note with me was the assertion that was made by one of the ministers (twice) was that if anyone in the audience was not a "Christian", they needed to be prepared for a destination after death that was not nearly as fun and joyful as the deceased had just moved onto. And of course, I am sure that "Christian" meant "Southern Baptist".

As a member of the Southern Baptist Convention I can assure you that Christian does not mean Southern Baptist. It means a follower of Christ. The original Greek word was a phrase that means "Little Christs" and was used by nonbelievers as a demeaning and derogatory phrase.

I have a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness but left the cult arfter she was saved one night talking on the phone to one orf her Christian friends. She became a member of the Southern Baptist Convention. A few years later she joined the Catholic church because she liked the worship services' rigid structure and had been familiar with a religion that incorporates a rigid structure in everything for all of her life until she became a Christian.

She is still a Christian because denomination doesn't matter to a Christian. The only difference in Christian denominations is the methods they use in their worship services. FYI, the Methodist denomination was named after the method of worship that John Wesley with his brother Charles Wesley and fellow clergyman George Whitfield founded which is known as Methodism.

The message is the same - salvation by grace through faith in Jesus, not from works.

It's really nice that you paid your respects to your teacher friend's father.

• Apognophos
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Thanks Ag

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Thanks, Ag. That's what I get for using a clever turn of phrase, I guess.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I only recognized the acronym because "SST: Death Flight" is one of the greatest movies ever

• smiddy
    smiddy

I have attended a few funerals , various denominations since leaving the Borg , and they all presented a celebration of the deceased one life .

And the Uniting Church had a hymn praising Jehovah during the service. None of them pushed their brand of religion

smiddy

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I went to a friends church after I left the JWs and was very surprised as well at the great music, the live band, the use of the bible and even gods name. It was truly a much more emotional experience. Going to a KH is like going to a doctors office or mausoleum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit