do other religions change doctrines like the wt society does?

by sowhatnow 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

i just wondered. i mean ok, the catholic church seems to make 'adjustments' more or less , by accepting previously held prejudices

against certain things, like gays, or birth control, or rather tolerate it more, but is that a genuine change of doctrine?

even though the catholic church clearly has its own unbiblical teachings, it seems like not much has changed ,

at least that Im aware of, being a housewife with no cable tv, lol.

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

The vatican changed doctrines too.... for example their teaching on the purgatory..... the teaching on papal infallibility (1870) .. and the Immaculate Conception of Mary (1854)

to name a few

• Londo111
    Londo111

In mainline Protestantism, people agree on a few basics, and are free to use their own conscience and reasoning to determine what they will believe and are free to change their minds on something whenever they want. Even if a person disagrees with the basics, I haven’t seen people bat an eyebrow.

For instance, in one church, I’ve seen people who believe in Trinity and those who don’t. Those who believe the Holy Spirit is a person and those who believe Holy Spirit is a “divine energy”. There are those who believe in universal salvation and those who don’t. Those who believe in preterism and those who believe in futurism. Millenniumism and amillenniumism. People are basically free to express themselves. No arguments erupt.

In fact, people can unite without having to agree on everything or to be told what they are supposed to believe. I’ve learned true unity doesn’t mean everyone has to be on the same page. Unity and freedom are not mutually exclusive.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Inside, what were the specifics of those three changes? I'm curious as I have family in the catholic church. Thanks!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Nobody changes doctries like the WT, nobody. Its like walking on Jello. Adherents have to read the latest literature to find out what they believe.

• blondie
    blondie

http://20truths.info/mormon/doctrine.html

Changes in LDS (Mormon) doctrine

• Londo111
    Londo111

I’m not sure what JWs would do if the Watchtower stopped making “adjustments”. It is almost expected at a subconscious level.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

As a Catholic let me clarify insidetheKH comments. I don't think the Catholic Church has ever changed doctrin. We believe once doctrine is set it is set forever. Practices or customs of the Church do change to suit local cultures and customs and the changing times. Those three Doctrines that insidetheKH mentioned where always belived but where not clearly defined. Some doctrinal conflict arose that pushed the Church into defining those doctrines in a dogmatic fashion. In all three cases there is ample evidence that Catholics believed those things before they where dogmaticly defined.

• pixel
    pixel

According to the WT/GB/FDS, religions can't change believes. Go figure.

""Tell me," he asked, "how can I have confidence in anything? How can I believe in the Bible, in God, or have faith? Just ten years ago we Catholics had the absolute truth, we put all our faith in this. Now the pope and our priests are telling us this is not the way to believe any more, but we are to believe 'new things.' How do I know the 'new things' will be the truth in five years?"" Awake! 1970 Apr 22 p.8

Quote from taken from: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/light-gets-brighter.php

Unbelievable.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Slidin Fast - " Adherents have to read the latest literature to find out what they believe."

Assuming they'll be able to understand it in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit