Galapagos

by noonehome 5 Replies latest jw friends

• noonehome
    noonehome

Hey just wanted some advice...don't really know anywhere else to get it. Things sort of hit the fan a while ago...I appealed a d'ff decision and actually succeeded, but I haven't been unscathed. Anyway, I'm not really sure what to do about anything right now. I'm in a pretty bad place. I'm busy working but it's a struggle to get through each day. things have been escalating for a few years so after school I biked around Iceland to get some distance....but when I got back my worst fears started happening. I already need to get away again.

I've got student loans to worry about...so not sure it's the wisest thing to do right now but I've decided I have to go somewhere far for a bit come February. In another thread I expressed my desire to volunteer abroad somewhere.... And Ive been looking around at some interesting opportunities. I've applied for this one http://www.ioi.ec/volunteer-galapagos and I've been invited. I've been working in broadcasting as a camera / editor with tiny bit of website / social media experience since finishing college last April, so it's kind of perfect for me in that I'd keep gaining experience. Ideally, I hope to one day be able to make money off of YouTube or something...I dont want to work for a company. Something like this might point me in the right direction for that... I don't know.

The thing with this is that the maximum you can stay (unless they hire you or something?) is 3 months. I'd be down for that. longer the better. however, the cost for 3 months is $3700. That's a heck of a lot. It includes visas and meals and housing and everything...but not flight.

I can't afford that...but I sort of don't care. My sanity is worth more. What do you think? Should I think about something else? I live at home now.... and I worry about coming back after the 3 months being broke and jobless in the same mess. (Unless things resolve themselves in that time? Ha!) I don't have to do 3 months but I'd like to be away. I know I can move out instead... But I seriously worry about myself living alone here ... I don't think I'd do anything but sometimes im unsure - starting out adult life in such rough shape trying to find my place in the working world with nothing to look forward to sounds worse than a bit of debt right now. this would be good for me, albeit prob temporary. Just wondering if you guys think it's legit...I'm no sucker but prob a little easier to scam at this time.

Cheers

(written from phone)

• Simon
    Simon

I think spending money you don't have as a way of making you feel better when you already have debts may be unwise.

It's easy to become addicted to travel and the freedom and excitement so I can see why it is appealing.

But it may make sense to do it before trying to start a career and take a break from things later when its more difficult.

No answers - just think through all the implications.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Maybe you just need to move to new surroundings all together. If possible.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

To be VERY blunt, it sounds to me like you are in an 'escapist' mindset, wanting to abandon your debts and spend money you don't have. Sounds like a total pipe dream to me. There have got to be more sensible opportunities closer to home, without going thousands of miles away to have an 'experience' you aren't really sure will solve any of your problems. It kind of sounds like the same type of escapism JWs resort to.....putting off their real responsibilities in the hope of everything being solved in the New System. That's called Magical Thinking. My advice is to look for an actual job in a field that interests you, in or near where you now live. A PAYING job, so you can deal with your debts and start living an independent adult life. Give all this a lot of thought before you go running off on some pie-in-the-sky 'adventure' on borrowed money. Whatever you decide, I wish the best for you. Oh, and needless to say, cut ALL ties to the JWs if you value your sanity.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

PS: I looked at that website.....what comes to my mind is: 'If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is'. This isn't an actual job. It is YOU paying THEM for the privilege of giving your time to them doing some vague, unspecified things. You'll be PAYING somewhere around $5000 total for this 'experience'. I notice they won't even give you the names or numbers of previous 'volunteers' so you can verify that everything is on the level. Something just doesn't seem right about all this. Don't throw your money away.....and, WHERE exactly are you getting the money for this 'adventure' anyway??? If you BORROW it that will only add to your existing debts when you return home. And then you'll be right back where you are now, with even more debt to pay back.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Don't do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit