Why dont U.S. JW's Celelbrate Thanksgiving

by stan101 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I know many JW's that, well, perhaps don't celebrate, but participate.

When I was believing, I was able to justify sharing in the celebration with worldly family. I know many other JW's that would too. Other JW's that didn't celebrate with worldly family I know who would have pretty much everything that a typical Thanksgiving dinner would be. I have seen where often employers will give employees gift certificates for turkey, and many JW's take adavantage just like everyone else.

In fact, today I went to my worldly families for Thanksgiving. My wife and JW daughter with husband joined us. They are very much still in. We have done this for years. As long as we didn't skip out on the meeting our conscience could handle it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Basically, it is a hangover from kill-joy Rutherford, who really did not want JDubs enjoying anything but working to recruit more to his money-making Scam.

His other motivation was to continue to make JW's seem different to everyone else, much to the sadness of many a JW child, me included, no celebrations of any kind.

• carla
    carla

Because they are thankless lot! They would rather bitch about everything and how horrible everything is. Thanksgiving reminds some how blessed they really are and we all know jw's do not approve of a positive attitude towards life.

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

Because US JW's are phonies. There is nothing about Thanksgiving that should offend even the most self-righteous of JW's. Yet, they still dance around the holiday and "officially" do not participate (even though, as so many have already noted, almost everyone eats a turkey dinner during the holiday weekend).

A reasonable person would *think* that JW's would grasp onto such a family-oriented and good holiday that has no religious or pagan origins. You'd think this could be the one holiday that would be encouraged. But no. As usual, the GB and JW culture has to be killjoys and stick out like sore thumbs because that gets more attention and brownie points with F&DS.

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

Could I have turkey and the trimmings on that day and call it "family worship night?" It all boils down to if they allow it they might lose some control.

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

"Family Turkey Worship Night!" Now THAT I could get into!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Most JWs that I knew absolutely refused to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Instead they would visit their family and share a meal together. Since turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, etc is always on sale, they all had turkey dinner with the family.

But DO NOT confuse that with celebrating Thanksgiving.

Doc

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

stan101 - "Im just curious why JWs dont celebrate the holiday."

Same reason they don't celebrate everything else.

Because everyone else does.

x

It's a means of socially isolating the R&F from anything that might conflict with WT "Truth", which (unlike genuine authentic truth, requires constant reinforcement).

• designs
    designs

This year's Text 'More Work Less Joy'

If you're having fun you're probably sinning....

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

designs - "If you're having fun you're probably sinning...."

If you're a JW and you're happy, you're probably doing it wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit