by mikeypants 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

I'm sure this has been brought up before but...

I was talking a lil bit with the wife today about things as she brought it up. She's baptized and all that, I'm not. After the zone meeting I said enough.

Anyway, she mentioned there's about 6000 anointed left and that Armageddon would come before they all croaked. I asked what's going to change in JW land regarding the literal 144,000, would it be changed to figurative when those peeps have all died? Would they say some must have been imposters?

She just looked at me like I was crazy for thinking of such a ridiculous thing. She just repeated that Armageddon would come before the 6000 or so died.

I'm kind of hoping it gets changed, maybe she will start asking more questions.

Any thoughts about this? Sorry if this was a previous thread, couldn't find anything recent about it.

• alanv
    alanv

My first thought is that at present there are around 12000 taking the emblems, and that figure has been going up not down every year recently. So does she already think that half of those are imposters?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

If you check out jwfacts.com/watchtower/144000.php and memorial partakers you will see that the number is increasing and now over 13,000. Your wife must not be aware that the doctrine of the 1935 closing changed in 2007, and there are now an increasing number of partakers. It looks like the GB is preparing the change the doctrine to 144,000 being a figurative number. If you guide your wife to the publisher report in the Yearbook she will be quite surprised.

• Heaven
    Heaven

In JW land... the math has never, and will never, add up.

• prologos
    prologos

mp, your wife is a typical jw, not even up to the latest fresh light, The "anointed will croak BEFORE Armageddon comes. they will not survive Armageddon.

The problem for wt is not the 144 000 literal or not, it is the idea of partaking, restricting it, counting it.

If the talking snake story would be true, there very well should be 144 000 that are special IN HEAVEN, killed with the ax to get there.

but wt bookkeeping would not determine that. The Vatican has virtual court cases (with a devi's advocate) to decide who is a saint. wt just counts.

all should partake like at the last supper.

• Listener
    Listener

W 14 2/15

As anointed Christians finish their earthly course during Christ’s presence, they are resurrected to heavenly life. Sometime after the destruction of Babylon the Great, Jesus will gather to himself all the remaining members of the bride class. (1 Thess. 4:16, 17) Before the outbreak of the war of Armageddon , therefore, all members of the “bride” will be in heaven. After that war, the marriage of the Lamb can take place.

• smiddy
    smiddy

144,000 is not such a great number , I have been to a football (AFL ) game when more than 100.000 were in attendance .( MCG )

Their were thousands of christians who died at the hands of opposers and were martyred in the first 3 centuries of our common era.

Between then and now their would have to have been millions of christians who have died for their faith in GOD , both in the various catholic and protestant branches of christendom .

Today their are over 1 billion catholics and probably an equal amount of 1 billion protestants , 100`s of thousands who would be sincere in their beleifs .

No jehovahs witnesses preached to these people for over 1800 years , doesnt jehovah examine the hearts of thes people ? Are we expected to beleive he couldnt find 144000 in all that time ?

In all that timeframe millions of people would have died as martys for the christian faith .

Look around you at a kingdom hall , who are the partakers , do they compare with the persecution suffering and death of christians before them ?

I dont think so .

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit