Wal-Mart Workers Plan Huge Protest on Black Friday

by talesin 31 Replies latest social current

• Listener
    Listener

Hoser

Wal mart brainwashes their employees though their morning worship program. Some of them seriously believe that Walmart is a good employer and that they would fail if they tried to go elsewhere

Sounds like the same stratedgy that the JW organization has and it works for them. The organization pays its workers even less.

Great Teacher

The US economy is built on it. It's perfectly legal to pay people $7.50 an hour. And that is just unacceptable.

Why blame Walmart, what they are doing is legal, there are always going to be people in vulnerable situations that willingly allow themselves to be taken advantage of. There will always be businesses that take advantage and care little about people.

It is the responsibility of the Government to ensure people are treated fairly. It has the ability to set the minimum wage at a higher rate. It chooses to subsidize employees on a low income rather than making businesses pay more.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Maybe I didn't make clear my position when stating that our economy is built on part time jobs. While this clearly explains, coupled with high unemployment, the reason that people can't just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, I CLEARLY THINK THIS IS A PROBLEM.

Walmart contributes to this problem by employing 40% of its workers part time and being the largest employer. With its profits, there is no need for this amount of its workforce to not be full time.

I get that companies are capitalist and, by their very nature are only concerned by their bottom line. That us why things like minimum wage, the right to ask for schedule changes, and the percent of full time employees need to be LEGISLATED.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Why, listener do you speak of "the Government" as if it were a "them" rather than "us?"

We are the government. It is only the will of the people that favors subsidizing big businesses over legislating worker friendly laws. It is not some nebulous other; "the government."

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I go to Wal-Mart for one reason:

The hot cashiers. Nothing makes me horny like a pregnant Russian teenager. Ok, seriously. If we don't go to Wal-Mart, then where do we go? Target?!?!

I say, " Burn that shit down!!", it's time for balance to be brought to the force!

DD

• Listener
    Listener

It shouldn't be more attractive for an employer to employ people part time. A part timer should have all the same benefits (pro rated) as a full time worker.

Surely it is a relatively good thing that there are so many partimers. It means that there are more people who actually have jobs. There are over 5 million part timers working at Walmart. If these were full time positions then there would be about 2 million of those 5 million part timers out of work.

• talesin
    talesin

adjusted knowledge --- from page 1 - I'm not sure what you are upset about. I said 12+,which I had read in several places, and indeed, you said this:

Walmart will claim an average pay of around $12.92 an hour.

So, what's your beef? You even state that you feel the median wage is closer to $10/hour, which is even less than my "$12.00+" figure.

Also, did you note that my benefits comment was limited to CANADA - read my OP, in which I clearly state "here in Canada". So, are you talking about the USA when you say that 60% are full time and have all these benefits? Or Canada?

I've only read page 1, and it's plain to see that this is a relevant discussion.

TT2C and JeffT, yes, agree with both of your comments. TT2C - wages *is* an issue - it's hard to work on a hungry belly. And people who have not endured long-term hunger pangs, well, it's like having a baby - they don't understand. Jeff, yeah, though my boycott was steadfast, in the past year I've had to buy some food at Wal-Mart. The rise in prices (you wouldn't believe it - we pay at least double what you pay), combined with a fixed income and special diet, have sadly, force me to spend about $25/month there. :( It's a compromise of principles, I realize that many people have to make. If I had kids to feed, I would be first in line at Wal-Mart! We all do what we can.

Okay, I must rest, but more replies later.

Great discussion so far, folks.

;)

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Listener

Do you work part time at one job? And pay your own rent? AND eat *real food*?

Just curious ..........

damn, I shouldn't have kept reading, now I want to reply to EVERYONE .......... lol, good night!

:P

• Listener
    Listener

Yes, Talesin. I work 15 hours a week and we paid off our house 15 years ago so we don't pay any rent. I don't know about eating real food though, it is very hard to find, even most of the fruit and vegies from the Supermarket are pretty tastleless these days. I get the same basic benefits as a full time worker.

Both my husband and I have worked part time, by choice, throughout our working career.

I understand that a part time wage may not be enough for many to live on. I can't see why this would be a problem for most couples if they were both part timers.

I live in Australia and the employment laws we have here help to protect the worker and are seen to be reasonable. I would rather see all my children employed, even if it was part time than to see only half of them employed full time.

• scary21
    scary21

Housewives with or without children often want to work part time.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

talesin

The benefits for part-time associates in Canada are comparable to USA with exception to the medical program. I don't have a "beef" with you. It is just I see so many comments about Walmart that are sound bites from the union and other liberal sources that have an agenda. I would love Walmart to change but the same approach that has been used for the last 30 years will not work.

As far as walmart employees staging protests. The truth is very few are actual walmart employees. The majority are PAID union members who are protesting. Now with that being said I do believe Walmart will close down any store that is unionize which has happened in the past.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit