Being lied to by parents

by What is Truth? 15 Replies latest jw friends

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Respectfully, thats immaturity talking. As someone who grew up in the cult who is now a parent, i assure you your parents belived it and did their best with what they had, like most parents. Love them and help them if they are so inclined, if not.... Just love them as you would want your kids to love you dispite your imperfections :)
  • talesin
    talesin

Everyone's experience is different. Your family situation is unique. Remember that your feelings are VALID; it's okay to be angry. Good to vent, then look at the reasons why, usually hurt feelings, betrayal, injustice. xx Remember to breathe, and see the beauty in life, if only for a moment - work through these issues and in time, and you will find peace.

• Stuck in the middle37
    Stuck in the middle37
    About 7 or 8 yrs. ago when I began to wake up to what the organ. was doing and saying. I began planning to leave. I tried to talk to one of my sons about what I was learning. He said do you mean you've been lying to me all these yrs. I said, I guess so, they lied to me and I lied to you. I'm now trying to change that. We haven't talk for the last 3yrs.
  • What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

Excellent advice, thank you all. I am more irritated by myself wasting so much time before I decided to do a critical examination of the belief system I adhered to. I need to just start fresh with my view of my parents. Do you know how children often idolize their parents like super heroes, I wouldn't say I had that, but waking up has crushed my respect for them built up over the years. The trust that they acted for my best interests. When it was only what someone else told them was best for me.

I am rather numb or indifferent towards them now. They are just human so I just need to evolve in my relationship with them. I really shouldn't waste anymore time blaming my upbringing for where I am rather focus on where I am going.

• brandnew
    brandnew

This could all be avoided, if baby baptism was banned.

By the time adulthood came around "like 30, as they say jesus was", we would know better than to join the damn cult.

• tornapart
    tornapart
    I've been on both sides of the fence so to speak. Born and raised a JW and raised my own kids as JWs (they are now adults). My parents taught me what they believed to be the truth and I in turn did the same. I don't blame my parents and I don't blame myself. We were deceived. They carried on believing it, I didn't. Hopefully my children will see through it too eventually.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit