Audience Contact - Use of notes

by mikeypants 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

Well, no audience contact but i am talking about use of notes.

I always wondered about note taking at conventions and assemblies. Why does this happen? Does it help you absorb the information better or does it just make you look like you care? Does anyone ever go home and review the notes they take?

Growing up my family had stacks of notebooks in our cupboard - all from past conventions and assemblies. They would take notes all day long, title each day, and then put it in the cupboard when finished. I never saw anyone dig them out and research anything, they would sit in the cupboard for years and then finally get tossed.

Maybe this sounds sexist but I mainly noticed women taking the notes, the men would just sit there as the women vigorously tried to keep up with the spiritual feast being served from the podium.

I remember recording the baptism talk one year at a convention. When the brother dude asked the candidates those two questions, I held the tape recorder up to my mouth and shouted, “NO!”. I then played the recording for the family on the way home, they were not happy but I was laughing my butt off, think I was 12 or so. Ha-ha, makes me laugh now.

And, this could totally “out” me if any family member comes across this, my question to them is why are you on this site?!

Sorry, totally got off the note taking topic.

• Zoos
    Zoos

I tried taking notes but I am a slow writer and it only served to distract me from the spiritual bounty being spread before me. So I opted to partake of the glorious feast rather than scribble on a pad.

Jehovah's loved me for my diligent attention. I know He did.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Take Notes - sorry i was asleep at the time

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I always thought the same!

As a late teen and early 20's, I wanted to appear "spiritual" amongst the other young ones, and thought it would look good to the "spiritual sisters" if they saw I took lots of notes!

As an adult, I can see too that I only took the notes to impress peers or to conform to what was the supposed "good and normal" thing to do!

Now I just play on my iPad, flick between screens and sites, and post here! It still looks like I'm taking notes!

hahaha

Truth is, I couldn't give a stuff what others think now!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I doubt anyone ever looks up their old notes and reads them again for the fun of it, but there is a review part on the service meeting after each convention, and the only way to answer the questions is if you have some notes to resort to. I feel this is a major reason why anyone takes notes.

Re: the male/female difference in note-taking, let's face it, women just make better students in general, and note-taking is part of being studious.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Taking notes was the only thing that kept me awake. And that didnt always work.

I liked to note encouraging scriptures.

I must say some speakers were harder to follow and I would give up and just note the scriptures.

Sometimes I couldn't tell what the main point was or how it tied to the scripture.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Sometimes I couldn't tell what the main point was or how it tied to the scripture.

This sums up WT theology in general...

• Pattytheperfectone
    Pattytheperfectone

Personally I took notes for two reasons:

1. So I didn't get yelled at on the drive home by my mother.

2. As I got older I realized taking notes was the only real way to keep me awake and prevent the occasional nodding off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit