JW window cleaner dies in accident

by Magnum 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Magnum
    Magnum

I just happened to hear about this through a long chain of communication. I didn't know whether to believe it so I googled it and found the obituary notice.

Philip Blaylock

posted Yesterday November 21st, 2014

It is a sad day for all. Our dear friend and brother, Philip A. Blaylock, 47, suffered a fatal accident on Saturday, Nov. 15, 2014 Philip was a native of Atlanta, Ga. He had been a resident of Brunswick since 1992. Philip was a member of the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses on 1270 Cate Road in Brunswick. Philip was a wonderful employee, friend, father, husband and brother. Philip worked as a master window cleaner for Window Doctors, Inc. for over 20 years and was a former employee with Sea Island Company.

The family of Philip Blaylock would like to sincerely thank all of those who have expressed their condolences. Many have asked if there is anything that can be done for Tracy and her two sons. If you would like to give a donation to help the family, please make a check out to: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Edo Miller and Sons Funeral Home and Oglethorpe Crematorium is in charge of arrangements.

[Even though the address for giving donations was included in the article, I deleted it just to be cautious.]

I heard he fell off a porch roof (or something like that) and landed on his head and there was a lot of blood. He had already had a bad fall a few years ago and broken his back.

I met him some years ago. He lived in south Georgia. I used to do some work in Florida and would pass through his area on the way to Florida. I had several lengthy conversations with him. He was one of the few JWs I knew who had real, raw intelligence. He could have done almost anything he wanted in life. He had really good insight and was well-read and very articulate. He was also humble, down-to-earth, honest, and friendly. I always felt sorry for him because he had a mate who was not any help to him; she was spoiled and wanted to be pampered. He did all the work in his family - worked hard at his window cleaning job and did all the cooking, cleaning, etc.

During my last conversation with him, he was lamenting his situation - getting older and cleaning windows, no retirement prospects, no insurance, no new world in sight, etc. He was a born-in and I think he never would have become a JW had he not been a born-in; he had too much intelligence. He was far smarter than all the elders and ministerial servants in his congregation put together, but he was not an elder or ms. He was not self-employed and I do know that at least at one point in his job, he was not happy with his wages and tried to pursue another type of work. For some reason, it didn't work out and he went back to his former job.

Just think about it. He was a low-wage window cleaner because of being a JW, and he died as a result of being a window cleaner. So had he not been a JW, he would probably still be alive and, with his intelligence and ability, might have been financially well off. Where was Jah in this? I thought it was a protection being a JW. Being a JW killed him, and it's not like he went down in glory - for example, was killed by soldiers while doing missionary work in the jungles of Africa; no, he died cleaning windows.

And what is a "master" window cleaner (not making fun of him, because I highly liked and respected him)??? I guess that means something to JWs. He wasn't just a window cleaner; he was a master window cleaner.

It's really sad... he was such a good guy.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Only 47 years old and much of that spent washing windows and selling Watchtowers.

Looks like the business at least has workers comp: http://www.windowdoctors.net/index.html

Hopefully whoever he leaves behind will get a reasonable settlement.

Said to think a person might be worth more dead than alive.

Doc

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes sad of his unfortunate death, as well sad that he got himself entwined with a deviously corrupt and oppressive religious cult that

restrained his own personal capabilities.

Many people today who were brought in this cult are suffering because of the indulgent lies and corruption of the

Watchtower Publishing house.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Doc - thanks for posting that link. In the photo of the three standing at the side of the van (gal - guy - guy), Philip is the one standing in the middle. I don't know the other two.

• prologos
    prologos

In the news also: Window washer survives 11 stories fall. in San Fransisco.

• flipper
    flipper

MAGNUM- My wife and I send our deepest condolences on the loss of your friend. I'm very sorry for your loss. Sincerely, Mr. & Mrs. Flipper

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

Sorry to hear about this, Magnum.

There were a few people in the org that I met over the years that always seemed out of place. They just seemed too smart and "normal" to stay with the religion.

I didnt know Phillip but this story got to me.

• blondie
    blondie

Most states require workers comp to be carried by companies. Those that do not are covered by what is called in some states, Uninsured Employers Fund picks up the cost of the claim. This money comes from all the other companies, pro-rated.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Its ironic that he did everything in the marriage while alive and in death he may be paying her way. Hope she has to get off her ass at some point and wash a window.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Wasanelder Once, I was thinking the exact same thing; it is ironic. I don't think she will ever get off her ass, though. He worked all day long while she stayed home, and then he came home and did all the housework.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit