Prayer - The ultimate act of stupidity

by Doltologist 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    "If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia." - Thomas Szasz
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

When you pray to joke-hova, you are effectively feeding that thing psychic energy to enslave the whole human race. Praying to, or in the name of, Jesus has the same effect. Joke-hova wants nothing more than to enslave us--which should be blatantly obvious to anyone that has half a brain and half an open mind that has read portions of that damnation book. That damnation book, supposedly a message from God, is blatantly against just about everything pro-humanity and is blatantly pro-slavery. Wouldn't that suggest that joke-hova is pro-slavery for us?

Not to mention, would you pray to your worst enemy? And for what, that its name be sanctified, its communist tyranny come, and its will take place for us to be enslaved? And to get just our daily bread (and it doesn't need to be pleasant, it just needs to sustain you until the next day), forgive us when we break its stupid rules that are anti-human only if we forgive others who try to ruin our lives, and to not lead us to be tempted to break its stupid cruel laws but to drive our real Savior out of our lives? That is why Christian prayers (Muslim ones, too) are stupid.

• DJS
    DJS

SoCal101,

Atheists are still being murdered around the planet; just ask ISIS. As indicated above, x-tians have done their share of carnage to unbelievers for centuries. If the worst we mean ole atheists do is mock your make believe god, consider yourself lucky.

When atheists dominate this planet, and we will, we will be much kinder to your kind than you have historically been to our kind. The Mene Mene Tekel and Upharsan is already on the wall.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Oh, here we go. Christians VS: Atheists.

I am sick of it when threads end up like this.

• millie210
    millie210
    punkofnice5 minutes agoOh, here we go. Christians VS: Atheists.
    I am sick of it when threads end up like this

I think a lot of us are punkofnice.

Its amazing how many people DONT comment on these threads.

They too are expressing an opinion.

On a personal note- notice I said personal, I am at a place in life where I would like to begin to explore the concept of atheism.

This forum is not a good place for that. If anything, I think many threads here give atheism a bad name. Militant and adamant in viewpoint, rude and above all angry. Why so angry?

Some of us are just starting out and have questions. Part of learning if a belief is sound is to ask questions - to challenge. Being treated as though that is absurd and beneath all human thinking is not conducive to learning.

I want to make it clear that this isnt all. Just the most political and visible.

Honestly, it reminds me of the Witnesses. Different religion, different zealots - same concept.

Believe what I believe OR ELSE! (the concept)

• DJS
    DJS

millie210,

There may be some truth to what you say, but you could replace atheist with x-tian and your comment would be just as relevant. I believe those coming from theism are much more sensitive to comments than those well past theism. You always show yourself to be an empath, a kinder and gentler poster than normal. I'm glad. You play good cop. Some mean ole atheists will play bad cop.

I try to be kind and avoid theist posts. I abhor being preached at, and the newly self appointed GB who routinely arrive on this site to wow and amaze us with their scriptural knowledge AND their prophetic insight makes me want to vomit, as do the many who regularly show up to preach jesus. They get exactly what they deserve, IMHO. But in as much of a nice manner as possible.

Jesus, that is much more of an affront than the atheists on this site who sometimes aggressively require facts and empirical evidence for almost all OPs and won't let anyone get away with what we believe to be silly superstitions, and death cult beliefs related to the bible and the end-of-times. Geesh. Enough.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Millz - Yes. Some tend to get too bolshi with each other. I think that when you become an atheist the concept of anything delusional is frustrating.

Religious folk tend to take things on faith without sufficient evidence. When evidence is required sparks fly.

So, yes. I am sick of the us vs: them thing. It's very tedious to read. All I want is an interesting discussion not ad hominems and snipes.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Daniel1555

There's not much in this world that we can know for certain. But, the probability that god exists is looking mighty slim.

It was claimed that god created the heavens and the Earth 6,000 years ago and made Man in his own image. Only plonkas believe that nonsense now. That's the problem with claims. If they get disproved then the house of cards begins to collapse.

Also, my apologies, because of my Aspergers, I can only think in terms of black and white. I can talk in terms of probabilities but it doesn't really have any meaning in my brain.

• millie210
    millie210

Thank you DJS for pointing out the bigger picture and the underlying motivations at work. That really helps

punkofnice15 minutes agoMillz - Yes. Some tend to get too bolshi with each other. I think that when you become an atheist the concept of anything delusional is frustrating.
    Religious folk tend to take things on faith without sufficient evidence. When evidence is required sparks fly.
    So, yes. I am sick of the us vs: them thing. It's very tedious to read. All I want is an interesting discussion not ad hominems and snipes.

punk - Can I nominate this for post of the day?

Doltologist - thanks for your post, we are all trying to learn together, right?

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

All

Should I apologise for this thread descending into a them v's us fest?

No, I believe not. However, I'm willing to discuss it.

IMHO, this sort of dialogue is long overdue. I and others like me have tried to have a dialogue with religious folk on their forums but, no matter how polite we are, once they realise we are atheists, we get kicked off and receive a life time ban. This forum, bless it, is one of the few that will allow discourse between believers and non-believers to take place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit