I believe the WTS has God's spirit

by Leander 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

.....although in a very small amount. In fact I beleive that many religions today have a measure of God's spirit. The more I take time to really meditate and think about the bible and the world that we live in, it becomes more apparent to me that it would'nt make sense for God to destroy honest people simply because they are not associated with the WTS. If JWs can make mistakes and God forgives them (so they claim) why can't the same be true with other religions?

Thats the reasoning that I used when I spoke to my mother last night about my decision to leave the JWs. It was a very difficult and akward conversation, she had been crying before I came by the house. To make a long story short she was convinced that my mind was being blinded by Satan and nothing that I could say would convince her otherwise. So I eventually gave her a hug and told her that despite the fact that I'm no longer a witness does'nt mean I plan on pursuing wickedness. That thought led me to the conclusion that I was on the verge of making a very serious mistake. In previous posts I had expressed a desire to engage in a lot of things that I had never done before, although I knew they were wrong I had wanted to just experience certain things. I've now come to conclusion that I can live without those experinces and despite the doubts that I have about the bible I'm going to make an effort to read it on a daily basis to hopefully get a better understanding.

So all in all I feel that my decision to seperate myself from religion was a wise move. For the first time in my life I don't feel like I'm trying to please the elders or an organization. I feel that my ability to build a relationship with God will be much easier without being hindered by the ideas of imperfect men.

One last note my wife and I are getting together really well. Over the last few days we've made an incredible breakthru in our relationship, I really feel close to her again and I know she feels the same. I'm ashamed that I even entertained the idea of going elsewhere without her. So basically I guess that what I'm trying to say is that despite some of the pain I've endured leaving the WTS, at this particular time I feel happy and content.

Thanks to everyone out there for offering up kind words, advice and support.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

(((((leander)))))

• Matty
    Matty

(((((leander)))))

Well, I think you phrased it spot on, I can understand the anguish of both you and your mom. You have to make sure that she knows how much you love her, and that you will always be there for her.

Well, I keep rehearsing what to say to my mum too, but nothing sounds right, yes, I've got this kind of thing to come. Speaking selfishly, I've learnt a hell of a lot from you about myself, because you are a couple of steps ahead of me in progress. I know the pain you are going through, I can really feel it when I read your posts.

I can't pretend that doing what I have to do will be easy, that’s been made pretty clear to me, but I have to be true to myself. You are an inspiration, and I'd like to thank you for always being honest about yourself here. You’ve helped me a hell of a lot, and who knows how many lurkers out there too scared to post, are feeling the same?

• Nikita
    Nikita

(((((Leander)))))

You have done an excellent job at making the break. You researched, talked with people and made conclusions based on your OWN-doesn't it feel liberating?

It will be rough at times, for sure, but if you know deep in your heart that you are on the right path-don't give up! I'm happy to hear that your relationship with your wife is doing good. That will make it so much easier.

Peace to you!
    Nikita

"I think you ought to like what you do. Because there's a reasonably
    good chance no one else is going to."
    Rich Mullins

• out4good3
    out4good3
    One last note my wife and I are getting together really well. Over the last few days we've made an incredible breakthru in our relationship, I really feel close to her again and I know she feels the same.

Another happy ending to a decision that had the potential to go horribly wrong. I congratulate you on getting through that without your wife running you through the wringer as mine did. I wish I had the benefit of this site and the advice given here when I made my break. I just couldn't put into words the feelings I had at the time. I can now and like I've said before, on th point on the WT, we agree to disagree.

It sounds like you and your wife are well on your way to having an even closer relationship based upon mutual respect for each others individuality as opposed too trying to fit into the JW boxed mindset. As far as your mother is concerned, the best way to show her your new true self is by deeds and not bowing to the whims of the "old men in Brooklyn."

Congratulations

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

(((Leander, Matty)))

Leander, your experience with your mom really seems close to my own... Those conversations, over about 2 or 3 weeks, as she tried to persuade me not to leave "The Truth", were very difficult... My sister called me, in tears, asking "Don't you know you're committing suicide?" (My brother was always a bit of an emotionless, self-involved prick, and so only wrote me a goodbye letter & spoke to me only once at a funeral a couple years ago ;) And over the years, as my mom saw that her sporadic tries at convincing me to come back weren't having any effect, they really have all begun to shun me (leaving a family get-together if I was there, & so on).

I won't pretend that I think the WTS has *any* of God's spirit, or that the majority of religions in the world do, or even that there's One God out there... I did learn some excellent lessons from the witnesses, having been raised that way through my teen years, and I have committed some "sins" as they & others would have it, but I do appreciate the reasons for caution that they taught me... Basically, I say as Pellonius did: To thine own self be true. Because that, I think, is where one finds the divine: Deep inside, rather than in any book passed down over generations... I guess my point is that I feel the witnesses gave me a good foundation for an intelligent life, and that other religions do so as well, despite their reasons for doing so!

SpiderMonkey

• Bang
    Bang

<Because that, I think, is where one finds the divine: Deep inside, rather than in any book passed down over generations...>

Don't take this personally, I'm just musing about.

Why the inner rooms?
    Did you invite Him.

Bang

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    although in a very small amount. In fact I beleive that many religions today have a measure of God's spirit.

I'm sorry, Leander, but I must disagree. God's Holy Spirit cannot be apportioned, so that you can have a little bit and another person have a big bit. When we see the operation of the Holy Spirit in Scripture, there was no half-measure of its operation. Recall that in the miracles performed by Jesus, there were no half-cures, were there? The truth is, if Holy Spirit is supporting the WTS, then we really are in a desperate state! It would mean that the Holy Spirit is supporting an organisation that is denying the true role of Christ. Also is denying the true nature of salvation which can NEVER be through an organisation.

Rest easy, brother, for you've made the right decision. Never feel any regret.

By the tone of this latest post, you seem to be much more settled in your mind and you are naturally happy at your wife's reaction. We're all so glad for you. God bless.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit