Poverty in China in 2014.

by fulltimestudent 15 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Violia: There are many poor people in usa that lack food. During the 80's my hubby was unemployed for 1.5 yrs and the we did go without food and the kids occ would eat at the neighbors and my hubby and I just did not eat. One of my sons said he did remember being hungry. You have no idea how that makes a mother feel. I would starve and let my kids eat first. It was a horrible time and i shudder every time I recall it. I had to go to places to beg for help and they would look at you like refuse. NO help from the loving brothers. I will never forget or forgive any of them.

That must have been a terrible time for you.

The longest time I was ever out of work (with a family) was 2.5 months. I was retrenched in November and in OZ, most businesses do not employ new staff until January because of the summer holidays. That was a bad enough experience.

I learnt a lesson, savings became imperative from then on. And also that having been a pioneer was bloody useless when it cam to looking for a job.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Mum, asked: I don't suppose the Chinese government has food stamps or other government subsidies to help their poor. Are there private charities working on alleviating the problem? Many Westerners live in China. Are they doing anything to help?

I described how it used to be handled back in the time of Mao Zedong (two posts back).

Now its being built-in to insurance schemes, that are built into the tax system, as seen in this tax calc. chart:

As you see, both employer and employee contributes to these schemes

---------------------------------

Of course, some people may not have regular work, and some will be farming village people. Some villages have transformed well and the villagers have an excellent standard of living. Others have not done well. And wherever you are there may always be some who have an handicap, or a run of real bad luck.

The National government has been working on a poverty alleviation plan, directed at children living in poverty, here's the details of what they will do:

China to better help children in poverty

November 20, 2014

China will take enhanced measures to ensure healthy growth and proper education for the country's underprivileged children.

With health and education at the core, the government will provide assistance to children from rural impoverished families starting from their birth until they finish compulsory education, said a statement released after an executive meeting of the State Council, China's Cabinet, on Wednesday.

The meeting was presided over by Premier Li Keqiang.

Participants at the meeting approved a national plan to promote the development for children in the poverty-stricken areas, pledging to expand the accessibility of free neonatal screening services for newborns.

With higher medicare insurance compensation, pregnant women in rural areas will be further encouraged to receive prenatal checkups and diagnosis as well as hospital delivery care, according to the plan.

Rural impoverished children with serious diseases such as congenital heart disease or leukemia will receive more compensation from the national medical insurance program. The government will also pilot nutrition improvement education for infants and children in poverty, the document said.

The plan also pledges to build more child welfare institutions, send more teachers to rural and remote areas and increase the allowances for special education and rural teachers.

What of adults who are poor?

Families are still more important in social life in China, and that's the first place to go for help. It's interesting that another fairly traditional Chinese society, Singapore, has a LAW that children MUST support their elderly parents.

The other two categories into which most poor people fit, are some rural villages and migrant workers. For poor rural villages, there are some concessions. First, all land taxes have been removed. Second, some local government assistance is available

For migrant workers? There are about 100 million migrant workers in China. Migrant workers leave their home villages, where they have some land and a house, to try for a better life in a city. If things go bad, they are expected to return to their village of origin, where they have a place to live and work theri land.

If you have more questions, please ask.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

A Chinese tax chart I posted in my last post disappeared, not sure why, Here it is again.

And its disappeared again, so I guess there's a built in function to prevent re-posting (Its from a non-government, possibly western source).

So here's the link:

http://www.sjgrand.cn/individual-income-tax-calculator

Scroll down a little to the heading: Rates valid as at April, 2014

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Thanks for posting the tax rate calculator; I was curious how the tax rates in China (for foreigners) compare with those here in Taiwan.

At my current income level, the tax rates in China are slightly higher: $2,074 in China, $1,163 in Taiwan (in RMB).

For the employee's share of the Social Insurance, China is much higher: $3,482 in China, $100 in Taiwan (in RMB). However, in the insurance rate breakdown, I see that China's fund covers many other categories (such as retirement pension, medical insurance, unemployment insurance, etc.) that aren't available to foreigners in Taiwan. That $100 that I pay is solely for national health insurance.

One quirk to Taiwan's income tax laws for foreigners is that we all must pay a flat 20% for the first six months of each year. Then the last six months is paid at whatever the normal rate for your income would be (mine is 6%). You then get that excess 14% refunded to you the following year when you file your taxes. However, if you stay in the country less than six months in a given year, then you don't get the refund. It's kind of like a guaranteed savings plan for the individual, but the government gets to use the interest earned on it.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Steve_C: Thanks for posting the tax rate calculator; I was curious how the tax rates in China (for foreigners) compare with those here in Taiwan.

If you're looking for that sort of info, there are a number of consultants who collate information and advise people and companies seeking to work in Asia generally.

One that I subscribe to is:

http://www.asiabriefing.com/?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Asia%20Briefing&utm_content=ABFlyerNov20_Asia

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Here's another Chinese perspective on the above report.

It's from the Chinese Economic Review, a more serious look at Chinese economics, and takes the line, which seems logical, the the problem is smaller but tougher. In the sense, I assume, that there will be in any society, a core of 'poor' people, who for one reason or another, can't make the grade in any society. The ones, I guess, that may have been who the author of the John gospel had in mind when he placed the words, "your will always have the poor with you." (John 12:8)

Link: http://www.chinaeconomicreview.com/poverty-china-smaller-tougher

For those who think that nothing stated in the Chinese press is true, this article quotes Ulrich Schmitt of the World Bank:

The standard in China for determining whether a rural household is poor was raised in 2011 to an annual per capita income of RMB2,300 by the state council’s leading group in charge of poverty alleviation and development - an amount equivalent to just over US$1 a day. In its last report on poverty in China from 2009, the World Bank called the country’s rural poverty line excessively rigid.

However, Ulrich Schmitt, the bank’s program leader for sustainability and resilience, said that is largely no longer the case.

“There’s a pretty consistent story between what the government has and what our figures tell us,” Schmitt said. By revising its official standard in late 2011, Beijing added 128 million people to the ranks of China’s officially recognized poor. In 2008, the number of poor based on the World Bank’s standard of US$1.25 a day stood at 173 million. By that same standard, though, 662 million had actually moved out of poverty, Schmitt said, adding that Xinhua’s figure of about 80 million still in poverty also seemed about right in light of substantial progress in poverty reduction here over the last five years.

Here's the full report:

Poverty in China: Smaller, but tougher

Friday, October 24, 2014

Late last week Xinhua published a retrospective on poverty alleviation in China in which it claimed that the country had lifted 660 million people out of poverty in the years from 1978-2010, with 80 million remaining impoverished today. The figure, which the agency said was in line with international standards, is an increase over previous claims. It may also be more accurate.

The standard in China for determining whether a rural household is poor was raised in 2011 to an annual per capita income of RMB2,300 by the state council’s leading group in charge of poverty alleviation and development - an amount equivalent to just over US$1 a day. In its last report on poverty in China from 2009, the World Bank called the country’s rural poverty line excessively rigid. However, Ulrich Schmitt, the bank’s program leader for sustainability and resilience, said that is largely no longer the case.

“There’s a pretty consistent story between what the government has and what our figures tell us,” Schmitt said. By revising its official standard in late 2011, Beijing added 128 million people to the ranks of China’s officially recognized poor. In 2008, the number of poor based on the World Bank’s standard of US$1.25 a day stood at 173 million. By that same standard, though, 662 million had actually moved out of poverty, Schmitt said, adding that Xinhua’s figure of about 80 million still in poverty also seemed about right in light of substantial progress in poverty reduction here over the last five years.

However, he added that the challenges facing China outlined by the bank in 2009 had remained essentially the same. For example, the remaining poor have become increasingly dispersed, and economic growth has become less effective in reducing poverty. In some areas the need for action had become more urgent, he said, as in the case of rural-urban integration. With China still in the first third of its latest decade-long anti-poverty plan, the route out of impoverishment for many from the countryside remains uncertain.

One of the two major additions in the latest plan, adopted in 2011, is the targeting of regional poverty on top of already recognized poor counties and villages. The effectiveness of this new regional layer of organization is hard to evaluate only three years into its implementation. This lack of information is further compounded by the difficulty of assessing per capita income for families with members who have become migrant workers.

“I think what these figures really mask is enormous migration and the role of remittances from people that work off the farm in further away provinces,” Schmitt said. How much of a family’s income is generated in urban and coastal areas and then sent back to members who remain in an area officially classified as poor may not be captured by current collection methods, and increased migration within provinces and counties has further complicated the picture as more move to find jobs away from (but still closer) to home.

There is also tension in the latest phase of anti-poverty policy thanks to the push to urbanize rural residents. People from the most impoverished counties are being moved from the land they occupy, which itself is ostensibly owned by the collective in which they are all members. Not all are willing to be uprooted, and it’s not clear if the strategy will help push people out of poverty. The move also seems set to weaken the collective land system in the countryside which some are loathe to see undone.

While the collective system currently keeps rural Chinese from selling their plots off and is subject to land grabs from hungry officials (see our full report on hukou and land reform), it seems to have helped act as an unemployment buffer in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis. When foreign demand dropped and factory output slowed, many laid-off migrant workers in China - particularly in Guangdong province - returned to their plots in the countryside when they couldn’t find work. In so doing they found interim employment and may have helped dilute dissatisfaction that could’ve congregated and led to greater unrest.

However, land de-collectivization could help spur the integration of many people into cities. It could also, Schmitt suggested, help lead to the establishment of farmer cooperatives able to achieve a greater scale of production that is impossible when so many migrant workers are still holding on to small, individual plots as a sort of insurance.

If fairly implemented, professional cooperatives could free farmers from the land while also granting them a stake in the fruits of their former fields. But they would need some sort of social security system waiting for them, which current policy discourages by giving the most prosperous cities incentive to bar the door once their populations reach a certain size. As with many issues central to China’s future, progress on one front demands just as much on many others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit