Birthday party envy maybe?

by sparrowdown 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

OTT wedding anniversary celebrations, what's that all about?

I don't know about you, but the various congs I have been in there have

been some seriously over the top wedding anniversaries that border on the obscene

re the level of couple worship. I'm talkin lavish spare-no-expense type affairs,

with hundreds in attendance. Dancing, expensive gifts, speeches etc etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I love parties, I have nothing against dancing on tables,

champagne, cake, swinging from chandeliers, more champagne, but these parties

seemed to me, to be screaming: "We may not do B,days and xmas but by God we

make up for it with our anniversaries".

I know some worldy people who catered these functions and felt compelled to ask

the elephant in the room question which is

Why is this OK but not celebrating the birth of someone?

• zeb
    zeb

I have noticed this down the years where WA are taken to heights. You are quite correct no 'worldly' celebrations but then wts would face total revolution if the sisters were to be denied their (NB: 'their') wedding anniversaries.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

hmm,

ive only heard of 50th wedding anniversaries and maybe some 25th anniversaries as being made into a big deal, and usually thrown by the children of the couple and usually a surprise, and there were not any 'gifts' and usually at a rented hall with a pot luck bring a dish meal.

must be your big city show offs, lol !

• talesin
    talesin

Before contact was cut, I heard about a lot of lavish 25- and 50-year anniversaries. My parents had one - rented hall, dinner, gifts, decorations (I kid you not!). Of course, I wasn't invited, but heard all about it. That's another topic, though. ;)

I think that they have very little 'special occasions' to celebrate. Weddings are just about 'it'. Even the birth of a child is limited to the women's baby shower - no christening, no celebration of the new life.

There was so much excitement! The 50th was their Special Day! How sad. Imagine, going your whole life, having 4 special days. Baptism , wedding, 25th anniversary and 50th (if you make it).

Even your funeral will be a 30-minute informercial for the WTS. Sad, indeed.

tal

• MissFit
    MissFit

What about graduation parties? I've seen some elaborate graduation parties.

JWs have a lot to compensate for. They love a good party as much as the next person.

I would have a blast at those parties.

My sister throws the best parties.

For her daughter's graduation party, she had a neon glow in the dark party.

For her in-laws 50 th anniversary she threw a '50's themed party and wore a poodle skirt and saddle shoes. Everyone dressed in the '50's style, then we watched a slide show featuring the happy couple .

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Too true tal, such a shame all those missed opportunities to celebrate life.

I could never understand the no-birthday thing. I remember reading in Job

how his children would go to "a banquet at the house of each one on his own day"

and thought that sounds like a birthday celebration to me.

That sucks you were not a part of your parents big anniversary. This cult destroys family life.

zeb- you are right the sisters would revolt at the suggestion of toning down anniversary celebrations.

swn- no big city show-offs just an oversupply of wannabe JW celebrities.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

That sounds like big fun misfit.

I love theme parties but we were counseled here about how inappropriate they were.

Bloody killjoys.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Well it helps that my sister's husband is related to half of the congergation, including several generations of elders. Lol.

• talesin
    talesin

I guess the graduation parties are like having their own prom. Only, not really.

Oh, I remember missing the graduation dances, which I got asked to. lol, one guy who was of a different race, and was a big wheel on the hockey team, asked me to the dance, and I explained why I couldn't go. He told everyone at school I was a racist. :( Jerk.

Long after I left high school, I was oh, 18, I attended my JW best friend's prom as his date. LOL, he was 15 and what a fun night. He was the geeky JW kid who scored an older (18!) hot woman for prom, and yeah, I enjoyed giving the kids at school something to talk about. :P

xx

tal

• MissFit
    MissFit

I went to so some graduation parties that had music and dancing. That was in the late 70s early 80s before they sucked the fun out of everything.

There was a group of JWs that had a band and would play at all of the get togethers.

Good times. 😆

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit