Interview with an "Unbelieving Mate" (UBM): Gary Neal

by garyneal 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Simon
    Simon

Looking back (in the 70's / early 80's - different era) I think the other reason could have been boredom and loneliness.

Fewer women had full time jobs and careers and I'm sure the Jehovahs Witnesses appealed in no small part because of the social aspects of it all.

when you actually met these men they were very normal and even docile

I always remember them being really nice guys, often much nicer than the brothers / elders.

There was a sister who's house backed onto ours (great short-cut coming home from school!) and her husband kindly taught me fly-fishing. I can't recall the elders ever doing anything positive in my life.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Gary - yes we are the only ones to do this so far but there are more UBMs here - nonjwspouse and neverajw for two. We UBMs are indeed a small minotiry on JWN. So please other UBMs complete the template.

It is interesting that while there are some parallels in our experiences, there are also significant differences. This probably reflects our different upbringings and attitudes to religion and perhaps also the dynamic in the relationship.

I hope your approach in relation to your kids works - I was not prepared to take the risk of a compromise approach.

Cheers Fraz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit