Religious nuttery alerts

by Simon 22 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

It seems like every couple of months I notice we've acquired a new religious nut and they have been posting away, annoying everyone and filling the forum with crap. It's disheartening to see people (even moderators!) have been having conversations with them and there are pages and pages of insults and crap - we're going to try and avoid this in future. You cannot insult a nut enough that they will leave, they are like cybermen, they just keep coming back.

I'm not talking about people who simply have a faith and believe in god, even if they want to discuss their religion in an almost rational way. I'm talking about the ones who know, who think that have been entrusted with the secrets of the universe directly by god and are determined to share their secrets with the world. Typically these take the form of a blog or youtube channel that they want to post links to. Invariably they are filled with conspiracy theorists, occult mumbo jumbo and generally sillyness.

If you notice someone that fits this description, who repeatedly posts nonsense topics or irrelevant comments on other people's discussions then please let me know - a PM is best with a link to an example.

I do like to give people a chance so don't be disheartened if you PM me and think nothing has happened. I will look into every report and take action to either reduce their posting limits or ban them completely if I think it's warranted. If you notice your post count go down or suddenly can't find some posts then there is a good chance that their topics were removed and you happened to have replied to them.

Many thanks!

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Awesome!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Watch out - we'll get U in the end

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yeah

I particularly do not like the occasional JW who comes here specifically to bash everyone including Simon by starting a thread topic,

then leaves it with no further discussion whatsoever, their intent is an obvious one.

This shows nothing but disrespect for this open forum and and everyone who uses it in my opinion.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I particularly do not like the occasional JW who comes here specifically to bash everyone including Simon by starting a thread topic,

then leaves it with no further discussion whatsoever, their intent is an obvious one.

This shows nothing but disrespect for this open forum and and everyone who uses it in my opinion.

Yeah! but that's the way of internet. Get used to it (the internet), its changing the way people interact.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I think the best response is no response. If you don't feed them, they go away.

• Simon
    Simon

If you don't feed them, they go away.

Actually, in these cases they don't.

They just want to bombard the internet with their nonsesne, post it wherever they can.

It ends up interfering with people's ability to read interesting topics which is why I want to stamp it out and everyone can help.

• laverite
    laverite

There will always be a new supply of them, but stamping them out helps to keep the amount of disruption down.

I remember one guy who I think is a non-native speaker of English in the Washington DC area (if I am not mistaken) who used to post tons of stuff on Bible chronology and his predictions for the end times. He would comment on what the Watchtower got right (in his opinion), what Harold Camping got right (again, in his opinion) as well as where they were going astray -- and he would fill in with his own LONG commentaries. His posts would go on and on and on and on. And he just kept popping up. I think he was eventually banned. Ah, the memories.

• Simon
    Simon

Just to be clear following a couple of PMs:

I'm not talking about people who want to have any religious or biblical discussion, that's fine. If anything those are the types of discussion that these people target to posts their insane youtube videos and blog links.

I'm definitely not ruling out discussion of religion or spirituality - just wanted to clarify that :)

• Simon
    Simon

And he just kept popping up. I think he was eventually banned. Ah, the memories.

"Good times" LOL

It's funny how they manage to often fly under the radar for long periods. I hold my hands up and admit I'm not that interested in bible chronology and what-not so if I check a topic and it seems OK (doesn't seem like people are swearing at or killing each other!) then I don't think anymore of it. These people tend not to use band language which can make them harder to spot.

I'll try and take more notice of these topics in future but if anyone is having a discussion and someone is disrupting it (which goes for any subject) then just let me know.

Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit