A fascinating invention is being tested here in our little village.

by Gregor 17 Replies latest social current

• Gregor
    Gregor

Many small communities now operate on large diesel generators. That may be the best they can do in some locations but in areas where water, both rivers and tides flow constantly, this device can supply power for a fraction of the cost.

I was at the site today and they are preparing to put the Eco-Auger back in the river now that the bad weather has abated. They are very professional in their data recording. They measure the electric output based on the knot speed of the water. at four knots the device can produce 4 Kw of electricity. That is enough for fifty Western style suburban homes, lights, clothes dryers, cooking, electronics, water heating, etc. Based on water depth, these devices can be stacked in very little space and only protrude about 8 feet from the bank.

I can walk to the site in 5 mins. I have invited the owners and crew for lunch tomorrow. This is a wonderful machine.

• talesin
    talesin

Less consumption of goods, banning of 'planned obsolescence' by manufacturers, and other methods of curbing manufacturing and other industries would make the largest 'dent' in any future world power crisis.

When I see how much land we have in Canada, and think about it. How many factory workers (who are now unemployed) could own and operate community farms? That takes care of the 'factory farms' and great waste of grains, not to mention the gross treatement of the 'livestock' (oh how I hate that term). The flesh/eggs/dairy/produce would not contain the pesticides and hormones, oh, and antibiotics it now does.

Technology that is already proven and developed, could be used to generate power from wind in big cities via small specialized systems that have been created for tall buildings.

Single-family dwellings could utilize a few solar panels to heat water, and cut down personal grid use (yes, I have a friend who bought and installed his panels over 15 years ago, and you should see how the figures add up over the time).

I like this generating system. It would be ideal for small farms, or communities / groups who wish to share land. The Tidal Project here was a great dream that somehow got lost, Caedes, it's too bad. From what I've been able to read about it as a lay person, it's just not that good. :( I live a short drive from the Bay of Fundy, so it was a big deal when I was a kid.

Some may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. JL 1940-80

Peace, love and Gaia! xx

tal

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Love it except the name. How about POWER TRON 3000!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

What a great invention, Gregor. Old, simple technology adapted for current use fascinates me. The application of the Archimedes screw is brilliant.

I live a short drive from the Bay of Fundy

Yeah? I lived in Amherst NS for a few months once (1991) - just long enough to pick up on how to say 'roof' and 'aunt' with a Maritime twang. What I remember about that part of Canada is that the wind blew every single day and the red soil tracked into my home on a continual basis.

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

Come on ITER get your act together - that water thingy wont even power my crossfire graphics cards!

• talesin
    talesin

OrphanCrow, yes, that would be the place for wind and red mud! My favorite thing about that part of the province is the Canada Geese on the Tantramar Marshes. :)) I'm on the Coast, so it's all pine trees and beach rock, with some nice sand (white) beaches as well.

Okay, so say 'aunt' ... I gotta hear it! :D

t

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I'm on the Coast, so it's all pine trees and beach rock, with some nice sand (white) beaches as well.

Ah...you must be near Port Dufferin. I have a friend who lives there but I have only been as far as Amherst.

Okay, so say 'aunt' ... I gotta hear it! :D

Lol! Yup...did it!

Not "ant" ...ya gotta get the goose honk in there and down in the throat to really make the honk good...awwnt. :D

• Gregor
    Gregor

Love the Canadian english and the Canadiene english in Quebec.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit