"Opinions about dress and grooming..."

by leaving_quietly 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

From the July 15, 2014 Watchtower, page 15. par. 13:

"Opinions about dress and grooming, health and nutrition, and other personal matters may also trigger controversy. Accordingly, if no Scriptural principle is being violated, Jehovah's people wisely abstain from arguing over such matters, "for a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle [tactful, ftn.] toward all." - 2 Tim 2:24."

Seems yet another double standard has been applied as Anthony Morris apparently feels he is above this counsel.

• BU2B
    BU2B

He would argue that a scriptural principle was indeed being violated, namely to dress modestly and with a sound mind. Therefore the above quote is null and void as far as he is concerned.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

BU2B - well he was certainly violating the scripture in timothy - his talk was nothing resembling gentle or tactful.

• sir82
    sir82

Oh no, he read 1 Timothy 2:9 before his diatribe.

If you read a scripture first, then express your personal opinions, that's A-OK!

Here, let me try it:

Scripture:

Proberbs 15:2, RNWT: The tongue of the wise makes good use of knowledge,+ But the mouth of the stupid blurts out foolishness.

Opinion:

Tony Morris is a blathering nitwit.

See how easy it is?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Oh no, he read 1 Timothy 2:9 before his diatribe.

Did he? Wow, I must've missed that. So while they're reading scriptures that directly conflicts with what follows, does this mean that they're going to start reading Matt. 9:13 before a discussion on blood transfusions?

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Yes, he did read 1 Tim 2:9. Notice, though, that the apostle Paul never explained what he said about modest or appropriate dress. He never got specific. He didn't offer an opinion. He left that to the consciences of those he was writing to. What Paul said was enough.

Thus, any OPINIONS about the color of socks and the tightness of pants or the age by which a male has to be a ministerial servant is just that, OPINIONS.

I would have had no issue if he had read the verse, then said something like: "Some have observed some of our brothers and sisters wearing clothing that is a little too tight or too revealing. Perhaps we should evaluate what we're wearing to see that it's modest and appropriate before we leave our homes." And leave it at that. Let people's own consciences guide them.

Of course, in a high-control group, controlling what people wear is one of the hallmarks. I realize that.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Sir82, There you go again, using those pesky Proverbs to make a valid point. That'll never work.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm sorry, I just realized I'd been wildly ambiguous. When I said the scripture in timothy I was referring to 2 Tim. 2:24 (from the OP).

I would have had no issue if he had read the verse, then said something like: "Some have observed some of our brothers and sisters wearing clothing that is a little too tight or too revealing. Perhaps we should evaluate what we're wearing to see that it's modest and appropriate before we leave our homes." And leave it at that. Let people's own consciences guide them.

This, 100%. The problem is if you let people excercise their conscience, it'll get stronger and they'll start using it on other things like blood, shunning, reporting serve-us time, etc etc until they start excercising their conscience by not contributing money to a corrupt organization - that's when it becomes a BIG problem.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Tony and the rest of the GB junta read what you just quoted and will say it applies to regular JW - JW interactions. It doesn't apply to them when they want to give counsel since they are the FDS. It's an astute move when you think about it - it halts all the endless inquiries to HQ complaining about dress and asking for a clarification whilst at the same time allows them to set forth law just by giving a talk. These talks get parroted by their representatives and it's all the same as writing it down in the WT without actually having to write it down and invite controversy.

• tezrichmond

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit