Changing Careers: The difficult path to starting over.

by adjusted knowledge 15 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I became employed with my current company after high school in 1995. I'm a manager and make decent income for the area I live ($65k). It provides for the basic and some extra. I have a wife and a daughter. My wife works part-time but that income is mainly for her to send back to family in the Philippines. I hate my Management position, but it is retail so it is either be a manager or make $8 an hour. I became very inactive in the JW religion at 18 and completly out at age 22. Leaving at an early age allowed me to explore a more normal life and therefore I did earn a Bachelors in Business at a state university.

I want to pursue a career in nursing. My college offers an accelerated BSN program that would only take 15 months. However it is highly competitive (500 applicants and they accept 30). The college also offers a MAT in special education for those with degrees in other fields. My father was a school teacher for 30 years and now has a comfortable retirement. The problem as most know is teachers make very little. In fact even with a Masters degree in a needed teaching field (Special Education, Math, Science) the starting pay is only $38,000 in my state. In some adjacent counties it is as low as 33k. The likely hood I would be accepted on my first application to the nursing program is remote. I really want a new career and in a field where I can help people. I'm just nervous to quit a job I held for 19 years that supports my family even though I hate every aspect of the position.

Anyone else made a career change and face similar anxieties?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I say go for nursing if that is what you really want. Yes, it's tough to get in, but you for sure won't get in if you don't try. My husband and I were invited to the RN pinning ceremony of an acquaintance, it was very impressive. It was clear these graduates worked very, very hard to get through the program and made many sacrifices, but they were happy they stuck it out. As each graduate was pinned by their family a statement from the graduate was read thanking their loved ones for their sacrifices and help. It was a very moving experience and gave me new respect for the RN program.

• Giordano
    Giordano

After spending my collage years pioneering my wife and I left the JW's in our young twenties. We had one HS diploma between us so yes we had to start over and in a hurry with a child on the way. What got us through was that we could think outside of the box.

So I am going to do that now.

Here's what impresses me about you. You got out of the so called 'truth' earlier then most. That took balls and smarts.

19 years in a job and you have reached the managment level? You must be very competent which means you have the necessary ability, knowledge or skill to do something successfully.

You also have a Bachelor's degree in business.

Use your management career to do important work. The Red Cross and other Disaster relief groups need management level people both in the field and at headquarters. Without good management............ people can die in disaster's for want of water, food, shelter and medical care.

Management failures can and do kill people.

Look at the problems the VA hospitals have been facing...clearly management issues.

With your background, your in a position to really help people.......now. And be well paid for doing the job correctly.

• Antioch
    Antioch

Hi AK,

First of all, its very nice to see a "career" discussion. Considering that lost opportunities are one of the main scars of spending time on JWs, I'm bothered that networking and career rebuilding conversations are not more prominent.

Secondly, about me so you know where this is coming from: Born and raised JW, left at 29 years old, became a Paramedic/Firefighter, used that to get a AA, then AS in Emergency Medicine, and then on to a University as a double major in Economics & Sociology. Like you, I seek employment that fits my values of helping others.

Thirdly, about you. Woah, woah, woah. Why on earth would you go Nursing if you already have a Bachelors? That is basically throwing your Bachelors away and along with it about 30k of future potential income. It also puts you into a hospital culture that is difficult without the tools to rise above it.

If you really want to do the healthcare field (as opposed to Giordano's advice), go back and take 5 or so science courses such as Biology, Chemistry, (the pre-reqs that you'll have to take anyway to do RN) and then apply to Physician Assistant school. All you need is a generic bachelors and the pre-reqs mentioned (Again, that you HAVE to take anyway for RN, so it's not like RN lets you get around it).

It's usually a 24 month program, but it will A. put you in a much better position to deal with the social and political down-side of the healthcare system (which can be harsh) and B. make at least 50% more a year. Plus, a PA is REALLY what we grew up thinking a doctor was. A hands on fixer of people's bodies.

I personally explored both paths. Tons of my co-workers in the Fire Dept. are flocking to the RN field. But they don't have a bachelors. However I find myself weary of the healthcare system so I've elected to pursue something else as my next big change.

• Antioch
    Antioch

Also, I really empathize with the nerve wracking idea of change. And you have a family! SHEESH.

You're an inspiration on how to live life. Life is short. Provide for yours, and pursue personal growth. Good on you for recognizing a need for change. I'm gonna do the same ASAP.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I have all the pre-requisite done for nursing (AnatomyI&II, Biology, ect...). I looked into the PA programs and USF in tampa was going to start one in 2015 but withdrew their provisional accreditation application. There are lots of nursing programs and a few PA programs available at private schools in my area. However they are very expensive (50k-100k) and I rather attend a regionally accredited college.

I will look into the VA and Red Cross. The VA was at my alma mater recently for a career fair.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If you are considering quitting your job, consider relocating for the nursing or PA schools. Different parts of the country may have more options available to you, or you may be able to obtain some scholarships or other financial aid.

Sounds to me like you are a capable and strong willed person. You will figure it out!

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

Hi adjusted knowledge. I just got home from my nursing clinical rotation. I was an engineer for several years and am now doing a career change. I have a bachelors degree already. I thought if doing the accelerated bsn but it is very demanding and competitive. instead inopted for an associates degree program that is fully accredited for another 8 years. It is offered by a major state university that also offers accelerated bsn msn phd etc. The associates degree program is good for career change. It's cheaper. Once you start working you can finish your bsn online. Many jobs offer tuition reimbursement. See if this option is available. Once I finish I plan to pursue advanced practice nursing. Oh and I'm a guy. Inbox me for any other questions.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have changed careers several times in my life. The process can be very positive. Healthcare is a great field. With your management background you will be on the path of a great future.

• Antioch
    Antioch

The Associates in RN is also a good idea if you're stuck on nursing. My friend had a BA in Spanish. Went back to get an Associates in Nursing and got hired at a great hospital. She's working on her BSN now via online like mentioned above.

As a faceless internet person who has no stake though, I'm tellin ya, 50K (or whatever the difference is between RN and PA school) invested now for 20 years x a 30K yearly income difference (that's a low estimate not counting increased pay since 89K is the median, not the top) makes that initial investment a little bit silly to balk at. You'll literally make up the difference 20 times over, have more job satisfaction, and less stress.

And, if you don't want to be near the bottom level of a bureaucratic system and in a female dominated field, then don't go RN. Maybe Kneehighmia can give better insight, and I KNOW this is not PC, but a male nurse is putting himself at a disadvantage. You're surrounded by persons of the opposite gender and you have no tools to manage those very frustrating challenges. Anyone who thinks its not challenging to be a male in a female dominated sector is in denial. Just like it would be tough to be a girl on a construction crew or in the fire department. It just is. That's reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit