which is a better attitude: I can't respect it, but I understand it or I cant understand it , but I will respect it?

by MissFit 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• MissFit
    MissFit

So is it possible to understand a reason and not respect it? Shouldn't understanding lead to a respect of the reasons and actions?

Or can you respect the reasons and actions without understanding them?

Am I making any sense?

It just seems to me, if you put yourself in others shoes and try to understand their view point, even If you dont agree with their views or actions, you can still find things to respect about the person you dont agree with.

For instance , My mom was not showing any respect for my niece because she is living with her boyfriend for over 10 years & is still not married. She dismisses out of hand their commitment becausen it isn't "Jehovah's way".

I told her that my niece has been in a committed relationship, has not slept around and should not be judged because they havent made it legal. For all she knows, they might have committed to each other in front of god. Only Jehovah can judge.

So when I told her that she can respect Niece and boyfriend for being committed to eachother,

she said: no I CAN'T respect it but I understand it.????

• jhine
    jhine

Maybe your Mom meant that she understands that living together is part of the way of "the world " so your niece is following the attitudes of "worldly people " who say that living together is o.k. As a witness she would not respect something that came from worldly attitudes .

Jan

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I do not respect actions that lead to unneccissary harm. People can be perfectly sincere and yet preform the most atroccious actions. When people of good intentions end up doing bad things - like letting their kids die because they refuse to allow blood - I am capable of pitying them. But I would never respect them.

In the case of your Niece and her boyfriend, they aren't hurting anyone and are, most likely, promoting goodwill and happiness. That, is something I DO respect!

• talesin
    talesin

That is pure judgemental thinking, and puts your mom, by default, on 'higher ground'. (At least in her own eyes, and those of other fundamentalists of various ilk).

She understands the temptations of the sin, but she is righteous enough to resist Satan's sins. Therefore, she does not respect the weak sinner, because the sinner has succumbed to Satan, and the temptations of the flesh! Sex!

• millie210
    millie210

I like to think of respect as a basic human right.

A starting point if you will.

Everything proceeds from that point.

Understanding to me, iimplies a certain knowledge or at least empathy of anothers situation or viewpoint.

Some people dont get exposed to what would give them a broad knowledge base. Others dont naturally have a lot of empathy.

But anyone can show respect.

• MissFit
    MissFit

So does respecting the person or viewpoint mean condoning the action?

Does understanding the viewpoint condone the action?

Is it possible to respect that the person has a right to make their own decisions and not respect the choice they made?

Jhine: so you are saying my mom understands the reasoning but cant respect the action because it goes against her core values?

Coded logic:you said: "when people of good intentions do bad things-like letting their kids die by refusing blood transfusions- I am capable of pitying them but never respecting them."

Is pity a type of understanding? Do you condemn them for their decisions based on what you consider is right and wrong?

Tails: you said: "That is pure judgement thinking...she understands the temptations...but

doesnt respect the giving into the sin. "

Maybe that is what I am trying to understand.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Millie: you are echoing my sentiments. I just didnt know how to put it.

I agree with Millie but Coded logic has a point. Some decisions do not seem worthy of respect. Is that because we are being judgmental and viewing them from our bias?

• MissFit
    MissFit

Millie: you are echoing my sentiments. I just didnt know how to put it.

I agree with Millie but Coded logic has a point. Some decisions do not seem worthy of respect. Is that because we are being judgmental and viewing them from our bias?

• jhine
    jhine

Yes , that was what I meant . Though I can only summise that is what is behind your Moms attitude ,of course .

Jan

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

Try this thought....You may not like it, but you are not without understanding it....

Legacy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit