My Marking Talk

by jws 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

I might add that, aside from the drinking, my brother and I were NEVER pulled aside about anything else on their list. Not the clothing, hair styles, working out, R-rated movies, rock concerts, etc.

It's possible they mentioned some of these things from the podium (who knows? it was easy for the mind to wander during talks). But mostly as warnings that a Christian *might* want to consider it. Or beware! Not "you are forbidden from doing it". OK, I'll consider it. I'll beware. My attitude was "well, they didn't say we couldn't and I think it'll be OK, so"...

As for worldly dress and hair styles, how am I supposed to know what they do and don't like unless they tell me? I wouldn't say we were blatantly worldly or out of the norm for what I might see others wearing at the bigger assemblies with a bigger mix of congregations. My gf at the time added a bit of color to my wardrobe in the sea of dark suits and white shirts. Oh the sinfulness! And talks about dress are always happening. How am I supposed to know that you're talking about our congregation? It was usually in regard to the length of the slits in girl's dresses and how much leg they were showing. Not whether you could wear a shirt with color.

But, this "marking" had been going on by many already. There was no need to do a special talk. Others would throw the secret parties, confess, and somehow we were the bad guys and avoided. One guy (the alcoholic) had had drunk driving convictions 3 times and another accident or two where his dad's connections to the police force saved him from legal troubles. By his mid-20's, he had only been able to drive a total of 4 total years and another 6.5 years were under license suspension. Yet he was always welcomed by others. The elders were aware, but he was never disfellowshipped. Never reproved. Never a marking talk.

I don't know. Maybe it's because we didn't let the guilt settle on us like others thought we should. So we were the ones ostracized.

Less than a year later, as stated, we moved out of my father's and across town. We were out of the territory and just found it oh so hard to attend meetings across town where we weren't wanted anyway. And didn't go searching for a new hall either. Yet still believed that it was the truth, and these people were just executing it improperly. A year after that, I read Crisis of Conscience and my eyes were opened.

Today, we're both doing well. What most would call nice guys. Nice to others, good loving fathers.

Looking back, the drinking back then was probably a symptom of grief. That, and being in our early 20's in a town where beer drinking was a heavy part of the culture - and being normal guys experimenting with it. Rather than the JWs being a comfort for the loss of our mother, alcohol did a better job and made us happy. It was fun to be a little drunk, forget the sadness, act a little silly, and then laugh at ourselves afterwards. Don't give me a lecture about alcohol never solves anything. Maybe it was masking sorrow. But it did make us happy and bonded us together. And with time the pain went away.

As guys in our 40's, we rarely drink at home. Mostly in social situations where others are too. And rarely if ever to excess these days.

Dad has passed away, leaving only my sisters as JWs. We barely hear from from them. All of the aunts, cousins, and even the son and daughters of our JW sisters have left the JWs. Of 13 family members who were once JWs, 3 died JWs, 2 others remain JWs. That's over 60% loss.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Barf. I can't even stand to read it past a few paragraphs.

MIND CONTROL

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

one who enjoys hard rock music and those who attend rock concerts

Why wasn't I marked? At about the age that you were I started going to live gigs. They are wonderful... I have always done it , as a M/S and an elder later. I have had a friend in good standing in the cong. who played semi professional rock and blues . I never kept it a secret

R-rated movies? I remember going to a big congregation party where everybody was watching Blues Brothers.

Wha...at?? Is BluesBrothers unacceptable now? .... No way .

Seems to me that this congo either had it in for you, or were just hard-assed plonkers..

• laverite
    laverite

Ahhh, the Christian love!

• jws
    jws

BluesBrother wrote:

Why wasn't I marked? At about the age that you were I started going to live gigs. They are wonderful... I have always done it , as a M/S and an elder later. I have had a friend in good standing in the cong. who played semi professional rock and blues . I never kept it a secret

Exactly. My brother-in-law was an elder and took us to see Santana when I was about 12. A couple of years later to see the World Series of Rock with REO Speedwagon headlining a 4-band lineup in a stadium. He would take us to midnight movies that showed films like "Song Remains The Same (Led Zep)", "The Kids are Alright (the Who)", "Rust Never Sleeps (Neil Young)", the Beatles films, and others. Our town had an 11-day music festival every summer. About a dozen stages, give or take. You could pay one admission and wander freely from stage to stage. I loved live music and saw a LOT of the greats. One of my favorites being the Vaughn brothers both onstage playing a double-necked guitar when the Thunderbirds (Jimmy) opened for Stevie Ray Vaughn.

For a while I even worked at a concert venue. Met Grahmn Nash touring the event before a concert. Saw Jerry Garcia up close backstage. Even saw Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, and Buddy Guy jam together for an encore. Stevie Ray's last. A few hours later, his helicopter smashed into the ski hill next-door in the fog.

My brother-in-law had a band. Mostly for fun, no gigs. He taught (rock) guitar to a few of the congregation teens. One band member and studying JW was a member of a 60's band called the Skunks who had some minor fame. They recorded "Elvira" long before the Oak Ridge Boys made it popular in the 70's. But alas, when two congregations merged, and there were way too many elders, my brother-in-law didn't make the cut. Perhaps because of his attitude towards rock. But he remained an MS and in good standing.

Words of some of my favorites (who I've seen live multiple times) come to mind. "I know, it's only rock and roll, but I like it". "Long live rock! Be it dead or alive", and just "Let there be rock"!

And maybe if it was JUST the rock, it'd be one thing. Combine that with every other thing they could dig up to give them an excuse and we're marked. Fine. You won't talk to us, our worldly friends will and will accompany us to the concerts as well.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I enjoyed the reading, thank you. This shows how they use the scriptures to display a lack of love.

thanks.

• SoJo16
    SoJo16

maybe the problem is the figurative reading they are giving Deuteronomy 21. It clearly says stone your rebellious children, not ostracize them. Maybe the kids would stay JWs if they gave the text a more literal meaning. What's the logic that ostracism in any way approximates stoning?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit