Does having priveleges in the congregation mean you will have a successful marriage?

by hoser 20 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

After reading about tight pant Tony's rant about sisters only marrying ministerial servants lest their marriage will be a failure what anecdotal evidence do you have to support this?

The divorces that I am familiar with in the congregation show me that having priveleges in the congregation do not improve the odds of a better marriage. I would say about 60% of the divorces had at least one spouse who was a pioneer, elder or ministerial servant.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Agreed!

To Mo is an idiot!

He should have done some research first....

• blondie
    blondie

I have also heard it said that a jw raised in a jw family makes a better MS and/or elder.

I also remember a sister on a jw DB asking me about a brother in my area being a good marriage mate. It turned out this guy had molested his daughter and one of her friends and the elders she asked knew it yet they presented him as a wonderful catch. She ran f rom that situation...he married some other sister from out of state and their marriage lasted 2 years.

What about all those jw elder pedophiles? Where were their spiritual qualifications.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

No. An elder I knew in northern Minnesota, "Buck", had wife after wife. After the first or second one he was removed, and df'd. However the fact remains that he was an elder with his first one, found a younger, new model and married that one. Then finding another younger new model he moved on to her and so on.

There was another elder in the mid-west who was noted as an arrogant hot head.His family moved to Chile where the need was greater. He came back to the USA sometime later. His wife left him when the kids were grown. Heard he got involved in 'wrong' doing too.

An elder nearby in the Mid-Atlantic, married a sister who was a regular pioneer, the daughter of the PO. Several years later she ran off with his best friend, another elder.

Another elder in Minnesota, a transplant from Michigan with his regular pioneer wife, took up with a sister who was having problems in her marriage. Her husband tried to kill himself when he found out about the betrayal. The elder's wife had breast cancer when all this was going on. Her first marriage fell apart because her elder husband, who was sent to different congregations to trouble shoot, had an affair on her too. So she married two cheating elders.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I remember a guy I knew in a congregation I used to go to who was an MS. Married an elder's daughter. Was the perfect Jdub in everyones eyes. On course to being the perfect JW elder. That is till he got the hots for a young girl in the congregation and ran off with her. I believe she was 16 at the time. So much for that theory.

• Simon
    Simon

I don't know if there is any correlation but the temptation to abuse the position and take advantage of younger vulnerable members of the opposite sex must tip some over and affect the stats.

Also the extra time spent on the cong and other members even when not "up to no good" must put a strain on a relationship.

Some may accept it with the 'status' making up for it.

• aintenoughwiskey
  • whathappened
    whathappened

I was married at 19 years of age to a 20 year old MS who had been a MS since he was 16. The marriage was miserable and we divorced. He is now makingwide number two miserable, I know, because she told me so!

• whathappened
    whathappened

1Timothy 3:12. Let ministerial servants be husbands of one wife, presiding in a fine manner over chilren and their own households." spunds to me that they should be married before being appointed!.?!?!?

• scotoma
    scotoma

What he was really saying is that ANY MALE who isn't at least a ministerial servant is a piece of crap.

So if you are 35 and you don't have any "position" even if you are married and have children of your own you are worthless because you haven't reached out.

Sounds like the head saying to the feet I have no use for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit