Is the Society trying to self sabotage?

by truthseeker 24 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I'm not going to list all the changes here that have happened in 2014, most of you who frequent the boards know about them.

In reference to Anthony Morris' talk, I can't help feel that the organization is behaving so abnormally out of character for itself that it is bewildering even to ex Jws.

Cultish behavior is perfectly normal for cults, but whats happened this year is so far out of whack it beggars belief.

What do they think they are doing? Are they psyching JWs up for some major announcement?

I can't help but feel that something really strange is going on, this does not feel like the regular "special announcements" followed by articles in the Watchtower.

These changes almost have an ominous feel to them.

Dont forget too, that the last major split in the religion was almost a century ago when Rutherford kicked ass at Bethel.

What are your thoughts?

Truthseeker

• designs
    designs

They have smart guys on the legal staff and smart guys on the finance staff. This is a carefully crafted game. They are dealing with the lawsuits by the realestate moves and possibly liability insurance payouts.

Listen if someone can be a lifelong Baptist, or Presbyterian, or Muslim etc. etc. etc. people can stay JW and be as happy as a duck in a pond....

People being anchored to the superstitions of religion goes back in our DNA to the early Bronze Age period. Give the human species another two centuries to finally be rid of these attachments.

• metatron
    metatron

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

No, I don't think that they are deliberately self sabotaging the organization but they appear to be succeeding whether consciously doing so or not !

I suspect that: you have a 'second level' of reasonably professional people running the organization as accountants, lawyers, etc. Meanwhile, you have a group of elderly fools on the Governing Body who are untethered from real world responsibility and therefore free to make foolish decisions as triggered by their own arrogance.

It is wonderful to watch ! And the 2nd string folks must be gritting their teeth over what's going on !

metatron

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I think the WTS failed predictions about the "last generation" is starting to take it's toll. The core justification and validation of the Society has always been the cleansing that supposedly took place in 1919. The fact that the world still has not ended - and has no intentions of ending anytime soon - is a real pain in their ass. Even the GB must be getting tired of their own mantra "any day now."

Wars are not becoming anymore frequent. Earthquakes are not increasing. And the UN shows no signs of waging a worldwide attack on "false" religion.

On top of that, they've realized their business model is not sustainable. People are giving less of their money and spending more of their time doing other things. Their only growth is in third world countries which is why so many of the publications have been simplified and the doctrine has been so dumbed down (to the dismay of countless witnesses). The JWs sense of community is the only thing they have left going for them (let's get together twice a week and talk about how much better we are than everyone else and all those who didn't bother to show up today).

The WTS is trying to capatalize on the JWs sense of connection as much as they can. It's too early to tell, but I hope this whole thing backfires on them spectacularly. Instead of attracting new people to the BORG they may end up alienating the base they already have. Perhaps the JWs will start realizing they can socialize with people outside of the BORG. That groupthink isn't neccissary - or even desirable- for friendships.

Call me crazy, but I predict within the next ten to twelve years we're going to see a mass exodus from this religion that will put 1975 to shame. Once the growth stops and the shrinking begins there's going to be a snowball effect. Why stay in if all your friends and family are out?

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

They have smart guys on the legal staff and smart guys on the finance staff. This is a carefully crafted game. They are dealing with the lawsuits by the realestate moves and possibly liability insurance payouts.

The Watchtower religion is all a legal game. The doctrines & beliefs are all about adherance to Mosaic/Christian legalism. The procedures & protocol are all about adherance to corporate/judicial legalism.

My main contention about all these sudden changes is that how in the hell could the JW religion talk so much in the past about how close the end was, that only they had the truth, and how the good news of the kingdom needed to be preached worldwide.....then, all of a sudden change so many beliefs & procedures that a person now can't even recognize the religion from a decade ago.

It makes no sense what so ever that any all intelligent God would decieve so many people for so long with one truth, then change the truth right before his great day of judgement. That would be ridiculous and very sick.

It is obvious to everyone but the willfully blind & brainwashed that the Watchtower religion/Jehovah Witness Organization is man-made and man-directed.

• Enlightenment123
    Enlightenment123

TruthSeeker,

You said some changes have an ominous feel to them. Which changes are you referring to?

I've had that feeling as well. Something isn't right. They will isolate themselves in Warwick. Some things they've said seem sinister. It seems like they have some kind of plan, an endgame. What do you think?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

It makes no sense what so ever that any all intelligent God would decieve so many people for so long with one truth, then change the truth right before his great day of judgement. That would be ridiculous and very sick.

But it happened before when the Watchtower Society re-invented itself in the wake of failed predictions.

During the mid-20s, and especially after 1925, the religion lost up to 75% of its membership. And, in retrospect, the loss was orchestrated - it, too, was a divide and conquer maneuver that paved the way for a brand new religion to rise from the ashes - the Jehovah's wintesses AKA Joe's Army.

Failed predictions don't harm this religion - the failure of 'biblical' prophecy (AKA political doctrine) is a boon to the 'Organization' - it acts to get rid of those who are not LOYAL and OBEDIENT. Because, the only thing that the membership does for this organization is give it just enough legitimacy to keep operating under the guise of a religion. The Watchtower Society will and can continue operating even without membership - the only thing that would change is that they would go into a different tax exemption category (and they would lose the built-in 'volunteer' group that will sign up so readily for medical studies..but that should be no problem once 'blood management' is rolled out worldwide - the Society won't need that noblood control group anymore).

A great 'falling away' will actually help this religion in the long run. The current Jehovah's Witnesses (and the burdensome apostate community that comes along with the group) can eventually fade away and become as invisble to the membership as the Bible Students did, way back in the day. Most current JWs have grown up with the notion that the JWs are the core group and the Bible Students just simply....disappeared. This can, and will, happen again.

However, it was probably a lot easier back in 1920s to re-emerge from the dust of legal and political intrigues that happened behind the closed doors of the Society. Today, tax laws and such make it more difficult to pull off a costume change privately - the door to the dressing room is not as closed, especially with an active apsotate community that keeps opening it on them.

Something that may be giving the Watchtower Society some difficulty is the low membership numbers. A total global membership of only 7 million - a tiny group, actually, in the whole big picture. Why this could be problematic is that the tax man might be questioning how such a small membership can sustain such a large, multi-billion dollar establishment. I don't know what the total worth of the Society's properties and investments are, but, it more than exceeds what can be accounted for by donations alone. Which might be behind the 'attack' that the GB claims is occuring in headquarters - the tax man could be asking some pertinent questions as to where all the money comes from. The below average earnings of the r&f just doesn't cut it as an explanation to the tax man/charity commisssions for their overflowing coffers.

But, never fear...the Society will scramble, hide, and generally pull all sorts of illegal maneuvers to keep their operation afloat - including alienating the membership and fishing for a whole new (or almost new) slice of the marketplace through their re-branding.

Changing the religion is a solution for them, not a failure.

And the Watchtower Society won't disappear - it will just re-invent itself. Like it always has done.

• steve2
    steve2

If you in control of a relatively big (religious) business, your policies/beliefs etc are unavoidably shaped and guided by keeping that business viable.

There is no crime or even shame in that.

Just don't pretend to be the sole channel of "God" and of "truth" on earth - and certainly don't punish members who disagree with your inflated claims and don't demonize former members. If you ignore any of these "don'ts", expect trouble sooner or later. If you do all three, you're dinner.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I think what the problem is for these guys is they no longer have doctrine to talk about. Before the Generation change and the internet they were or could push all the doctrine they wanted from the bible. Now they can't do this because it gets blown up on the internet. I have been told from a very good source these guys at the top are not smart enough to push doctrine anyway. So here these guys are having to give talks and have really nothing to say.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

one major difference between all other attempts to re invent itself before and now is the free flow of information and easy access to ex jws available on the internet.......the gb have a hard task to withold past errors in the face of the web..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit