Bob Dylan: The Basement Tapes Complete (the Bootleg Series Vol. 11)

by Simon 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• Simon
    Simon

Bob Dylan is an artist like no other. While some spend months or even years working on and crafting an album, some of his have been cut over a long weekend.

Some have been great, some are near misses - some seem awful at the time and then come into their own a decade later.

The mistique around the man has always driven demand for his music especially the rarer unreleased recordings. The original bootleg album was "The Basement Tapes" recorded with the Band after his motorcycle accident of the late 60's. It was rough but the record company eventually recognised the demand and satisfied it by releasing an official album. Hidden in the vaults though were many more hours of recordings, buried away forever ...

About 20 years ago they started releasing more and more of the rare recordings - sometimes rehersals, sometimes songs that just didn't make it onto albums. They have been a great addition to the official studio albums and filled in missing gaps with some great new songs. You have a better appreciation for the way his music developed and just how many great songs he wrote and seemed to discard.

Some of my favourite Bob Dylan tracks are off the bootleg series of albums and the live concert recordings have been great for those of us too young to have been able to see him at his peak.

The latest in the series is The Basement Tapes Complete: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11. Finally, it's time for all those other basement tape recordings to be aired, the ones that gave them the original name.

There's a complete version, a 6 CD box set, or a cut down sampler single CD. Right now I've only listened to the sampler on Google Music and hope they get the complete set otherwise I may just have to buy it.

Initial listening of a few of the tracks was "OMG, this sounds like a bunch of drunk guys that found some instruments!" but it improved with a second hearing and I'm starting to like it more. It may still be more for the hardcore Dylan fans though. Most are just before my favourite period of 67 - 70'ish. I guess the favourite period changes based on the mood I'm in though.

The songs were never meant for release - this is an artist and band who's tour was cut short through the accident and he was writing songs to be covered by others to earn a living. You will already have heard some of the tracks as hits that other people had recording.

There's something magical about how Bob sings his own songs though and the raw music with the Band is always special.

The only thing that makes me sad is that one day this vault of material is going to come to an end. Until then though, enjoy !

• designs
  • NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I got mine from Amazon a few days ago, and I'm enjoying listening through it. Some of the stuff on the first disc was sort of bland, with a similar sound to all the tracks. I suspect a lot of that was covers of old folk songs, not Dylan's own material. But moving on through, there are some fascinating alternate versions of the songs that are already well-known, either from earlier releases or cover versions (including a version of "Tears of Rage" in slow waltz time). Well worth the investment, but Dylan always is.

Dylan has been my favorite musician since the 60s; my friends used to kid me that if Dylan made an album of himself burping and farting, I'd buy it. They were probably right, and he's come close once or twice. But, heck, I even like Christmas in the Heart - Christmas carols croaked out by an old Jewish guy. The guy's a genius, that's all.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

As long as they stay "The Basement Tapes". Last ones I heard Robbie Robertson tweaked and overdubbed them like they belonged to him or something. Clean up the tape hiss and move the volume up but please please please Robbie don't alter the music and become the George Lucas of classic rock. I'll have to check this one out.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Bob Dylan .....and the Band.

The last waltz...the Band witj Niel young, muddy waters, paul butterfield, jonnie mitchel, emmloy harris,van morrisson, niel diamond, eric clapton and Bob Dylon...a great movie directed by martin scoresse and only Richard Manuel can sing " i shall be released better than Dylan"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I still have bootleg vinyl albums from the 1960s. When I had to consolidate my albums, I only kept Beatles and my Dylan bootleg albums. The rest were thrown out. There is no doubt that Bob performs on my vinyl albums. The sound quality was so bad that I rarely played them. I kept them as a souvenir of a time when music meant more than today.

My first exposure to Bob was through the Village Voice and a short clip on Newport Folk Festival on the national TV news. I wa so into the Beatles and Stones. The Voice would have page after page of reviews of Dylan music, lyrics, and his cultural significance. I was determined to somehow get to Newport-I did not know where exactly Newport was nor did I have any money. All I knew was that I had to buy his albums. It was not simple back in the day to find a record store in NJ that carried Dylan music.

A member here saw him in Newport. An extraordinary event in anyone's life. I wish he would show up for his performances. Even hard core fans of his who routinely travel far to celebrate his birthday, bemoan his live concerts. Yet I saw him perform at both Bangladesh concerts. The word on the street at the time was that he was completely paralyzed or on life support after his accident. He managed to take the concert away from two Beatles, Eric Clapton, and the list goes on.

I am looking forward to what is being billed as the most expensive coffee table book marketed-a fancy book with all his lyrics to date. Will I be able to afford it? don't know. It may be too thick to use, sort of like my King James Bible with Rembrand prints. You need a lectern for the book. George Harrison wrote his autobiography and sold it for $4,000. for a while. I wonder.

Fundamentally, Dylan fans believed in civil rights and were against the Viet Nam War. Bob never seemed that commited. I laughed so hard at the Cadillac commercials at the Superbowl. I truly miss the time when you could sum someone up by their dress and music.

• Simon
    Simon

Fundamentally, Dylan fans believed in civil rights and were against the Viet Nam War. Bob never seemed that commited.

He wrote the soundtrack and his songs about social injustices INSPIRED many of his fans to believe in the civil rights movement.

The adulation and attention seemed to sit uneasy with him though. He's been escaping from the fame ever since but thanfully still driven to tell stories through music.

The last waltz...the Band witj Niel young, muddy waters, paul butterfield, jonnie mitchel, emmloy harris,van morrisson, niel diamond, eric clapton and Bob Dylon...a great movie directed by martin scoresse and only Richard Manuel can sing " i shall be released better than Dylan"

That is a great concert to watch. I remember watching it with a non-Dylan fan who said "there are lots of big name, great musicians on stage but there is a magical difference when Dylan came on"

• LV101
    LV101

He's been my FAV since the 60s. Thanks for taking time to post all this info - I'm definitely ordering/buying everything I can.

He was at the grand opening of the Bellagio and I've seen him live few times (never enough), MGM - where he was given a 5-star performance (highest) rating from critic who never gives out 5s. He's amazing - such a very limited band. My brother in law is friends with Dylan's daughter in law's father - thus far hasn't helped me out but just wish he'd come thru here again.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Well thats why when you work with Dylan, you humbly call yourself " The Band"

• glenster

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit