I was a poll worker

by Hortensia 24 Replies latest social current

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I worked the election yesterday, here in California, poll worker, from 6 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. It was fun and interesting, went pretty smoothly, nice day. It was very depressing to come home, look at the news, and find that the Republicans now control the Senate.

Do you think Canada would take me? I'm kind of old and broken down, but also kind of cute and I don't cause any trouble. Maybe they'd let me live there. I don't want to live in a country where the voters are that stupid. Maybe some other country with more sensible policies would let me in. . .

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Good for you! Were you paid for the work or did you volunteer for a party or candidate? I am interested in the going rate for official poll work in California. Maybe it varies by county.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well, first of all you'll have to explaine what kind of Poll work that you did. Make sure that when they ask you that question that you specify that it's not the kind that you danced around a poll, and as you got hot you removed clothing.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Wow!

Oh, sorry, I thought you said pole dancer!

• Magnum
    Magnum

Am I missing something? I admit I'm politically naive and ignorant. Why do you think voters are "that stupid" for voting Republican? I would think they were "that stupid" for voting Democrat.

When I think Democrat, I think of a naive, "spread the love", free-for-all, give-away, hippie mentality. It seems to me that Democrats want to open the borders and let everybody flood in. They want to take the money I earned working hard and give it to those who don't work. They want to give everything away. The hippie experiment didn't work. Just read the history of the hippies in the Haight-Ashbury district. Their "spread the love" philosophy resulted in overcrowding, hunger, sickness, etc.

I see Republicans as being more level-headed, reasonable, and realistic. Part of their message seems to be that people should be accountable for their actions (or lack thereof) - that people should be rewarded because of hard work and effort, not simply because they breathe.

I'm open to being wrong, and, again, admit I don't know much since I've been a JW for a few decades, but this is how I feel now.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Poll worker -- $9.00/hr. 16-hour day. Lots of fun. Nice paycheck when it comes in a couple of weeks.

Plus, the polling place was a church. Take that, wtbts!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I vote Libertarian, as it happens. I think Republicans are greedy corporate scum who live off the masses. I think Democrats aren't much different. I think Americans are stupid to constantly bitch about oppression and then vote for the oppressors.

I disagree slightly with the Libertarians -- I do think we need a safety net for our poorest citizens and for children. I'm a peacenik and always have been.

Well, I'm disappointed, to say the least.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

If Republicans think people should be rewarded for their hard work, why not raise the minimum wage?

• Magnum
    Magnum

If Republicans think people should be rewarded for their hard work, why not raise the minimum wage?

I don't think it's that simple. I believe that studies have shown that raising the minimum wage can have a negative effect on the overall economy and harm more people than it helps. People who work hard and are of good character should be able to work their way out of minimum wage jobs. Minimum wage jobs are starting points. I remember working for a little over $3.00/hr when I started out.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

It doesn't surprise me the republicans took the senate,they have rigged the voting machines in several states and the democrats are to stupid to do anything about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit