Christian Pastors ORDERED to Marry Gays or Face JAIL TIME & FINES $$$

by oneyeopen 118 Replies latest social current

• Viviane
    Viviane

What is wrong with this statement?

I have to assume you mean the statement: "I can see maybe enforcing a public wedding chapel business to treat everyone equal, but to force individuals to go against their bible beliefs is just wrong in this country."

What is wrong with it is it would allow this:

I am allowed to keep slaves because of a sincerely held Biblical belief.

I am allowed to sell my children because of a sincerely held Biblical belief.

I am allowed to have multiple wives because of a sincerely held Biblical belief.

I am allowed to stone people to death for what I percieve as offenses against God due to a sincerely held Biblical belief.

As I wrote, we restrict people from practicing sincerely held Biblical beliefs all the time and for good reason. Since no pastor, acting in the capacity of a pastor, is being forced to perform gay marriages, it is a moot point, it's the argumentative equivalent of arguing that you don't believe puppies should be allowed to have driver's license.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I love how people like Rush Limbaugh like to get the fundies spun up. It's ear candy that is swallowed whole, no one ever does the research to see if these things are true. This story will be told and retold, even though it has already been shown that the law doesn't apply to churches or this place because it is a religious corporation.

I got an email once that was going on about the words "in God we trust" being removed from the dollar coins. It had a picture of a coin and people were urged to not accept them. The only problem was the words had simply been moved to the edge of the coin, and had been moved back several years ago.

A nicely told lie is that confirms someone's fear or bias is believed more readily than any truth.

• apostrate
    apostrate

redvip200,

Thanks for your response! I get your point, DULY NOTED!

DJS,

Thank you, I really do a-p-p-r-e-c-i-a-t-e your input!

LisaRose,

I did not swallow Rush Limbaugh's "ear candy" whole, and I don't know how I could have made that point any clearer. I plainly stated that each time I posted. I merely threw that out there to get other peoples thoughts on the subject. But I do thank you for your comment!

• Viviane
    Viviane

Viviane tells me that no one is being forced to do anything that is against their religion.

That's not at all what I said.

Now, I am not an intellectual

The power to remedy that is in your hands.

Okay, I'm a dumbass, I admit it, but doesn't that article plainly say, "Christian Pastors within their community"? Indicating religions/churches beyond The Hitching Post?

It does. That's, however, inaccurate.

Aren't they using The Hitching Post as an example to send a message to churches that they better fall in line, or else?

There is nothing to indicate that at all. Also, there is an assumption that there is something to fall in line with. What line, specifically, are you thinking of?

I know Viviane will say, "So what? What if they do?"

You know very little if you think you know that.

• DJS
    DJS

Practice your bible beliefs in the sanctity of your domicile and your religious institution of choice. When you bring your bible beliefs out into the real, secular world, the US Constitution, and specifically how it is interpreted by the SCOTUS, both suports those beliefs and trumps them when they are deemed to be in disagreement with the Constitution. Deal with it. Or re-locate. You could try to join the White Supremists, the End-of-Timers, Preppers, Preparers and the other getting ready for the big-A groups in the hills of Idaho, but you would still be under the legal restrictions of the US Constitution. When you own a business serving the public and you withhold services based on discrimination as indicated by the Constitution and SCOTUS, you are breaking the law. That's what this OP missed, but that's what it is about.

Haven't you all been paying attention for the past, I don't know, freaking forever? If you would get your collective heads out of the bible and your collective asses long enough to observe the real world, this wouldn't seem so scawwy. Or I suggest a new strategy R2: lose the hate.

BTW, I felt exactly the same way bout this topic decades ago when I was in the Borg.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Apostate, I did not mean to imply that you believed the story. I was talking about the people that are devoted Rush listeners that believe everything he says. I am sorry I did not make that clear. It's an interesting story that should be discussed, I am glad you brought it up, It's always interesting to me how different media portray the same story.

Next time there is coverage of a hot button fundie issue, look at it on Huffinton Post, Fox News and CNN. I did that once and it was an eye opener, it shows how bias creeps in.

• apostrate
    apostrate

LisaRose,

Quite alright! I wasn't sure if your statement was directed at me, so I just wanted to clarify myself.

A very good example of what you say could be found last night watching the election coverage! FOX News relishing the victory of the Republican party. Switch over to MSNBC and watch Rachel Maddow selecting the few Democrat victories, and presenting them as though it was the Democrats who were on top last night.

Now, for the benefit of anyone else reading this post, this was not a criticism of Rachel Maddow, MSNBC, or the Democrat party. It is just an observation of how the media portrays their story in the most favorable light!

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

A pastor should be free to refuse to marry a couple for any reason. BTW I am in an interracial marriage. Pastors are there to listen and minister to people but also to say NO to them and recommend them a more suitable minister and denomination

I think this reflects more on the wedding chapel industry. A good pastor won't marry people who shouldn't get married and should stay in the couple's life to see how they are doing.

• Viviane
    Viviane

A good pastor won't marry people who shouldn't get married and should stay in the couple's life to see how they are doing.

A bad pastor is one who thinks he is qualified to decide who should be in a relationship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit