WT lawsuits - Gog of Magog - Coalition of Nations - Courts of Law - Bankruptcy

by truthseeker 20 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

What if the Society know it only has to lose one big case for a precedent to be set for future cases?

This means they will lose millions of dollars in lawsuits and settlements and their financial stability is under threat.

If the precedent is followed in other countries based on a huge win somewhere else, then WT may be quietly warning the rank and file that a major event is coming but they will disguise it as "persecution"

I can see how they could point the finger and say look, "a coalition of nations" is "attacking and persecuting us"

Any ideas here? Is this a possibility? That they know they will lose one big case and then they can tell the rank and file Gog of Magog?

Truthseeker

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Possibly. They are masters of mind control and spin. Anything negative is spun as Satanic lies and an attack. Most JW's eat it up and believe it.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The precendent has already been set in reality. There are several lawsuits on-going which are related to the one the WT just lost - other victims. It's safe to say that there is a good chance the Org will lose those too.

Also according to the lawyer who is representing the victims, the Watchtower is being totally uncooperative with the courts, and this will not go well in the long run. There are also a few other dozen cases which are on-going for ther abuse cases, so we'll see how those go, but i have the WT loses all of them.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I forgot what Gog of Magog is in the Bible. These awards may be looked at by lawyers in other countries. American law is based on British common law so the Commonwealth Nations may be interested. I expect, however, that they have their own body of negligence/tort law. I have no idea how civil law treats such matters. The term civil law might be used as a category for noncriminal matters or a reference to countries other than those that adopted British common law. France is an example. The question posed would make a decent law review article. The awards, which still have not been heard by an appeals court, certainly signal that judges and juries believe the accounts of victims now and that religion is not an excuse. Legal cases in the United States must rely on the facts presented. Change the facts and result may change.

I don't believe a bankruptcy judge would approve a bankruptcy motivated by desire to escape a damage award. The WT has the assets. Maybe next time a GB will show up for a deposition.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

truthseeker - "I can see how they could point the finger and say look, 'a coalition of nations' is 'attacking and persecuting us'... Gog of Magog?"

That thought had occurred to me, along with two slight problems with it...

a) ...according to WT eschatology, JWs aren't supposed to be attacked until after Babylon the Great has been destroyed (although that sort of thing is probably easily retconned), and...

b) ...if the WTS is brought to its knees in the legal arena and tries to spin it as "Gog's final attack", what happens when the Great Tribulation/Battle of Armageddon doesn't immediately follow?

Not that it isn't a valid line of inquiry, because it very much is; just pointing out the finer points.

x

Personally (since all available anecdotal evidence suggests that the GB are full-on True Believers), it wouldn't surprise me if - feeling like the Org is threatened now more than ever before - they think they can kickstart the End by drawing a line in the sand and provoking a final "attack" (not to mention firing up the loyalist rank-and-filers with the latest wave of rhetoric and propaganda), in the misguided belief that God will step in at the last minute and bail them out via the Big A.

Once again, though; if the WTS is brought to its knees and tries to spin it as "Gog's final attack", what happens when Armageddon doesn't immediately follow?

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Actually this post made me smile. No doubt the Governing Body will paint these lawsuits as a Satanic Conspiracy ties in with Bible Prophecy SOMEHOW.

A lot of JWs will lap it up. Others will awaken.

Once the the payouts begin BIG-Time a floodgate of lawsuits will begin world wide....and Watchtower will get the WORLDWIDE PR they have sought...just for the wrong things.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

WT lawsuits in the US are not going to mean a ripple effect across the world. Our country is the most litigious in the world. We have the most lawyers. Most of the world simply does not do things the way they are done in the states.

I doubt there will be any kind of international outcry that will affect WT operations to any degree that they can claim some international persecution on the subject.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

We are the most litigious lawyers in the world. Japan, a developed economy, has very few. Law suits are a very crude way to seek justice. They should be a last option.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

The Watchtower recently changed their teaching on Gog / Magog. They did this during their Annual Meeting broadcast.

Previously they taught that Gog / Magog was some type of Group (Perhaps Symbolic of Nations all over world) led by Satan. They changed this to Being literal humans, who will literally die at the end of the Attack on "JW's"?

im not explaining it properly, but the point is that it will now be more difficult to Claim Attack of Gog / Magog on any Non Physical And Literal attack.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Babylon the Great fell, and the GT started......wait for it..... INVISIBLY!!!! 😃

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit