Bart Ehrman's Favorite Bible Film--made in Canada

by humbled 3 Replies latest jw friends

• humbled
    humbled

I heard an interview with him once when he was asked did he have a favorite Bible-themed film. He said yes-- Jesus of Montreal.

"When attendence at a church's annual Passion Play flags, a troupe of young actors is hired to stage a newer interpretation of the teachings of Jesus. While their newer, more modern version brings the house down, it also brings down the condemnation of church hierarchy, creating a strange parallel between the actors--now persecuted believers--and the authorities. But the actor. who is beginning to feel at peace with the character he plays (Christ), insists that the show will go on...no matter what happens to him in the process." 1989 written and directed by Denys Arcand

I watched it last month. It was great. that's why I'm recommending it to anybody regardless of your creeds. It's a good film.

When I get back from my hiatus, maybe some will have looked it up--I might get to know how you liked it.

Maeve

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for the tip Maeve, Mrs Phizzy is always complaining we don't get to watch many good Films, I'll have to get hold of this one for her, well, and me, sounds good.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Jesus of Montreal is a poor choice, in my opinion. There are so many other choices. I suppose there is no accounting for taste. It would be nice if people here read someone besides Ehrman. My favorites are Scorcese's Last Temptation of Christ, the Italian version of St. Matthew's gospel. I also watch Franco Zefferelli's Jesus of Nazareth every Easter for the all-star cast. If you remove Mel Gibson from his The Passion of Christ, it is an excellent film.

• humbled
    humbled

BOTR,

From the unwashed,illiterate and unshriven backwaters of the universe I have noticed that a university experience expands the world of knowledge but doesn't teach those who achieve such privilege how NOT to be rude and supercilious when it is least called for. That is learned elsewhere.

When are you going to learn this lesson?

Of the authors whose writings I have read--and they are many---it happens that only Bart Ehrman was asked the question that gave rise to my recommendation of Jesus of Montreal. This innocent bit of trivia was offered as I found it somewhat of a novelty that Bart Ehrman would have selected this particular film.

A fair question from you might have been"Why?" Then I might have answered you thus:

An esteemed (by some)academic who began his career as an evangelical Christian, he is now an agnostic. Now, you do know he didn't write the script--but since his criticisms of biblical texts are well known on the board, it was interesting to view the texture this provided as I watched the film--and maybe will for others. The writer/director, Arcand presented it a thought-provoking and surprising way,possibilities not simply of the historical material of Jesus' existence but of the value of some of the teachings quite apart from the dogma of orthodoxy. It was a drama within a drama within a drama.

Again, I was/am curious about how such a seeker as Ehrman would name this film. I would be likewise curious of other writers' film favorites. But no one has spoken up. For this I get your curled lip and the imputation that I and others on the board read no one but Bart Ehrman? And in case I miss your disdain, you add "I suppose there is no accounting for taste."

I would be pleased to provide you with my reading list if that would exculpate me from your snide suggestion no one on the board reads anything but Ehrman.

Band-o,we each live in the center of our life's drama. But even if we feel that we deserve top billing for our knowledge and erudition and our pain and the breadth of our experience, the fact is we DO share the stage with others more or less who also have something to add to the community. It would be crass for me not to say that the board is enriched by what you provide when you are not speaking in a high-handed way.

-- But this time I am telling you to back off of my small post. This post simply invites others to see a movie. Just- see- a -movie. Because I want you also to imagine that even the bit players here should be treated with more respect from you.

Maeve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit