Books about early Christianity

by EdenOne 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

I read a couple of aforementioned books and sadly am coming to the conclusion that Christianity is a false religion.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

jehovahsheep,

Are you yet able to extend your conclusion to all religion?

Doug

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Can you recommend other works about the historical Jesus, early christianity(ies) and the formation of the Bible canon?

I suggest works by the early church fathers

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

The book New Testament Apocrypha is by Bart Ehman actually..

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

While the cover of the book is given as "The New Testament Apocrypha" and as being edited and introduced by M.R. James, the internal title page states: "The Apocryphal New Testament: being the apocryphal gospels, acts, epistles and apocalypses, with other narratives and fragments translated by Montague Rhodes James". It was first published in 1924 by Clarendon Press; the Acrophyle Press Edition was published in 2004. It runs for almost 600 pages.

Doug

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

the theology of Paul the apostle by James D G Dunn.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Doug: I see ...two different books... same texts.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Cool, I was given a list of books from my philosophy professor back in college. I haven't read any of them yet but plan to. Marking to add the books listed here to my list also.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I've finished reading my books. Both books by James Tabor blew my mind. I strongly recommend them, to get an understanding on how Paul theologically hijacked the Jesus movement and how was the Jesus movement before Paul took over it. I like Bart Ehrman when he goes on textual criticism details, but he repeats a lot of material across his books, which at times is boring already.

I've purchased three more books:

"James, The Brother Of Jesus", by Robert Eisenman

"The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls ( 7th ed)" by Geza Vermes

"The Nag Hamadi Scriptures" by Marvin W. Meyer

Doug, thank you for that list, I'll have a look at some of those.

Eden

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

EdenOne,

Geza Vermes was one of the great modern scholars, who died only recently. If you want recommendations from the list I provided, I suggest the books by Allert (start at page 37), Gamble, Goulder, Freeman and Jenkins.

Of course, it is impossible to overestate the significance of Kurt Aland, as any "Google" search shows, and of Geza Vermes.

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit