i thought all the embarssing books were supposed to be thrown out?

by purrpurr 13 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

I had a look in the library last meeting and my hall still has all the bound volumes going right back to the beginning. Including studies in the scriptures. I thought the order from on high was that these were to be destroyed or taken away? At least out of the reach from any unsuspecting studies who might read them and ask awkward questions!???

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

It is odd to see all of those. All the yearbooks, the old stuff that is so far outdated its ridiculous.

My father had a collection of bibles. 53 different translations. He studied each of them, but never saw the overarching irony that *each translation said different things*

JWs arent quite there when it comes to finding logical flaws.

• skin
    skin

Our KH had an impressive collection of the older books once. It covered one entire wall in the same room that TMS 2 was held in, and there were more boxes of books stored away in the the KH shed that weren't on display. Then came a rebuild of our hall, and now one devoted room to be called the Library. I was looking forward to this, with plently of room for all these books to now go on shelves. When our new hall was completed, a visit to the new library was the first thing I did, and guess what, not one book to be seen. I was shocked and disappointed, (maybe they havn't set up this room yet?) there was now a large table with about 8 chairs in the middle of this room and a laptop with printer on another table. Also a lot of empty cupboardā€™s (some locked), and in the end 2 cupboards were about 20 of the most recently released books. I hope the impressive library of books we once had have not been throw out. Hopefully they are boxed away in the KH shed waiting for the time that one day they will be available for all to read again.

• Splash
    Splash

When our KHall was replaced with a quick build, one elder decided he would like the oldest books and records (from the gramaphones), so he stole them for himself.

From time to time he mentions his theocratic library with pride.

Splash

• skin
    skin

Before our rebuild, on one of the weekend cleaning rosters, we did a sorting of any double ups of books in the library to make room for newer books, The elder in charge that day said I could have these extras for my own personal collection. They were mainly WT volumes from the 60's.

Which are now all boxed up in my shed, LOL.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Every once in a while someone claims that congregations have been ordered to toss old literature from the libraries. For the millionth time, here's the official policy:

-The LIBRARY should have as complete a library as possible, including old shit

-The LITERATURE counter should toss ooold shit or stuff that's not in good condition.

• talesin
    talesin

My father has quite a collection, from Studies in the Scriptures, and most, if not all, of the old Judge's books, right up to the latest CDRoms (well, up to 2010, we haven't spoken in a couple of years). He has all the bound volumes, books and yearbooks, etc. from 1950 forward and more. They are 'family heirlooms' that his JW son and grandsons, ironically, have no interest in owning, which was very disappointing to him. He granted me permission a few years back to catalogue and sell them, but then I got sick, and by the time I was 'up' to doing it, I had cut all contact with my parents. I wish I had done that now. *sigh*

t

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Oh I didnt realize was there orders issued from on high to get rid of all the old books. I was a bit annoyed the other day when I found out that my mother had gone through the garage getting ride of all the old books. I said she shouldn't of done that because some of thos old books can be worth some money now.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Its a bonus for you if your library has the older books! (TRUST ME..I KNOW AND HAVE USED THE FOLLOWING LINES!)

That way, if you ever mention any of the far out ridiculous teachings from the org, and someone questions you with an accusatory "are you reading this from apostate sites", you can simply say:

"NO! I have simple been enjoying doing deep study and research using the societies older books. We have often been encouraged to do so! Our library is full of these spiritual treasures. HAVE YOU NOT taken advantage of this opportunity to be 'taught by Jehovah'?? "

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

In my old K.H we had a pretty comprehensive Library, right back to Studies in the Scriptures etc ,I wonder if it is still in place ? I know that certain C.O's had a bee in their bonnet about what should and shouldn't be in the Library, so it may vary from Cong to Cong.

One C.O persuaded our Congo to rid itself of things like the Bhagavad Gita and the Book of Mormon, though a copy of the Book of Mormon re-appeared sometime later.

He didn't mind the old Soc. books though, and as Stuck says above, it would be good to get some JW's to read the old bilge, it might just help them on the road to waking up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit