Moving out after the borg

by happy@last 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• happy@last
    happy@last

I was delighted to hear of Adjustments news, but it did remind me of what I'm sure a lot go through when they leave, here's a little of my story:

When I married as a JW, and when we moved there was always a team of willing volunteers happy to drive the van or move the furniture or decorate. Additonally when you get married you have a list of items people want to buy for you, even if some had odd taste we received lots of needed and wanted items, sometimes 2 or 3 of the same type.

As a DA'd person, also seperated from my spouse I needed to move home. With no 'friends' or family who talk to you, you are on your own. I was starting over so had to get everything, even down to linen, cutlery and pictures! I had nobody to call on for help, nobody sent me a 'New Home' card. And yet despite that, the sense of achievement and happiness far outweighs any hardship.

I am happy in my home, it is a place of peace and tranquility for me, and I wish every happiness for all who are moving on to pastures new.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Better to have no friends than false conditional ones.

Well done.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Exactly what "punk" said!

Well done...and welcome to your real life.

The friends you now make will be real ones based on your foundations...not a "one size fits all" set of conditional friends.

• zeb
    zeb

We had b & s to help us move house once. They had no idea in hell how to pack and though meaning well made more work for us than enough.

and as for being without 'friends'... "its lonely at the top but you can trust the company". anon.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Hey happy: did you end up making new friends? It must have been scary starting from scratch. Do you have any tips?

• happy@last
    happy@last

Hey happy: did you end up making new friends? It must have been scary starting from scratch. Do you have any tips?

I have made some good friends, through work and also exJWs. I also have my kids so have plenty to keep me occupied. I did initially subscribe to meetup and still get the Monday morning email, but never had time to go to any of the events. I lead a fairly active life anyhow.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Glad that you're happy and at peace. May your life continue to get better with each passing year.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Happy Good for you.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

There is nothing more precious than self-reliance.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I also moved out my family home and into an apartment. The move was a refreshing new start, but I had my mum with me it was an emotional time and good to have her there. She has never been a witness. Thanks for your story.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit