With all the WT's eschatology and prophetic interpretation, why is there no mention of Islam?

by marmot 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• marmot
    marmot

You'd think that the third major Abrahamic religion would be of interest to the Witnesses and their fanciful interpretation of just about anything written in the bible, especially with the white-hot relevance Islam has in current affairs and the Middle East. Not only that, Islam had a huge influence on European history, with conquering armies and direct control over Jehovah's supposed holy city of Jerusalem.

American christian fundamentalists trip over themselves trying to connect all the dots in scripture so why hasn't the Watchtower Society? Laziness? Ignorance? Fear?

• Simon
    Simon

I would guess a mix of fear and little chance of conversions.

The WTS target are really disillusioned Catholics. There are probably very very few ex-muslim Jehovahs Witnesses (although I knew a lovely family from Iran).

• marmot
    marmot

It still doesn't explain why the crystal ball-gazing geezers in Brooklyn missed the boat completely on Islam's rise to relevance. They used to tie the most mundane scriptures to prophetic realizations like the Anglo-American world power, the creation of the UN, etc.

Islam is kind of a big deal and there's *nothing* on it coming from the WT.

• Calebs Airplane
  • -stache-
    -stache-

II recall correctly, they did write something about Islam in the 'Mankind In Search of God' book.

• Niveau
    Niveau

It's definitely mentioned in the Search book, and I do remember some KM inserts about how to preach to a muslim (possibly one of the brochures is aimed at them? Foggy memory of hearing that) but for the most part I think Simon's right, especially about the conversions. It's much easier to bridge the gap between Catholicism and JW doctrine than it is to move from Islam to Christinity.

• prologos
    prologos

Since russel's, Rutherford's writings were mostly about what THEY knew and Thought, why would a little pesty marginal religion matter? besides, all their religeous problems were solved when they DECLARED in 1919: "--Babylon the great has fallen-- we are freed--"

Catholics, Protestants, the Dalai Lama, Hiro Hito might laugh them off, but

islam takes funny writings (like WT Prophecies) seriously.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Just a word of caution for those still in and preaching. Do not assume to preach to a muslim from WT literature. Like everywhere else, they have misquoted the koran and its edicts in their preaching catalogues/brochures. Had a bad experience once when a muslim started showing fom the koran how these idiots had used half scriptures to justify their conversion tactics.

• marmot
    marmot

Just read an article on vice.com talking about how ISIS and their Islamic caliphate in Syria and Iraq is here to stay.

Still not a peep from the WT on this. In the old days they'd be falling over themselves to assign prophetic significance to this. Today they're a bunch of wusses more interested in little Sophia's ice cream money and how tight your trousers are.

• Clambake
    Clambake

The WTS society subscribe to something called “replacement theology “ where they have replaced themselves with the physical nation of Israel or Jewish people in god’s plan.

The WTS avoids using reference to Islam and what is happening in the middle east because

1. They are chickenshit

2. The bible really falls more in line with Evangelical views of end times involving Israel, Iran, Russia etc etc.

3. The WTS is more about attacking Christianity than trying to convert people from other religions. People in other religions are already dead, no need to doom them . ( ha ha ha , look at me going all 700 huntley street on your pagan asses).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit