Why does the Society no longer use strong language?

by LogCon 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LogCon
    LogCon

Why does the Society no longer use strong language, such as found in the March 1, 1949 WT, to expose false religion?

"...For years now the United States government has had a succession of Roman Catholic men as postmaster general and in control of the post-office department, and about such there can be no doubt that they are agents and representatives of the Vatican. But to date has anyone ever heard of this religionist in office issuing an order forbidding the use of the United States mails for carrying on a racket of collecting money from Roman Catholics upon the representation that it is for the benefit of their dead. As to this "purgatory" racket the credulous are taken advantage of, kept in ignorance of what the Holy Scriptures teach, and prevented by the racketeers from knowing the holy truth, and then they are robbed of millions of money, and the post-office department piously folds its hands and says: 'This is doing a good work.' But does any sane and honest person believe that a religious system that carries on such a racket could at the same time be the representative of God and of Christ on our earth? ..."

Has 'fear of man' overcome the urgency to help people escape from 'false religion'?

• Magnum
    Magnum

I think that the org is no longer bold as it once was because it no longer has the confidence it once had. The JW higher-ups realize that their doctrince cannot be defended as easily as they once thought. They realize that their not-so-good history is becoming more available. Therefore, they can no longer use the strong language they once used. The internet is killing them.

Though still internally hard (shunning, blood doctrine, etc.), the org has gone externally soft. I see no more of the old strong language. I just told my wife today that I thought the message was supposed to get hard near the end, but that it's gotten softer, weaker.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Probably the Governing Body looked in the mirror and saw that the article was in reality talking about the same type of religious scam the Witnesses perpetrate. So they had to dial their language down a few notches.

• blondie
    blondie

Change in presidents from Rutherford to Knorr, different personalities and philosophies. Knorr basically grew up at Bethel from a young man under Rutherford's rule. Knorr saw that it was time to be businesslike and more diplomatic with the outside world. (That's what my older relatives said from that era).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

LogCon - "Why does the Society no longer use strong language?"

They got way more to lose, these days.

• LogCon
    LogCon

Blondie said," ... Change in presidents from Rutherford to Knorr, different personalities and philosophies..."

I point out that the above quote was from a Watchtower printed 7 years after Rutherford died. No doubt Franz had a great deal to do with it. However, I agree with Blondie. The language progressively toned down.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Because now they have money.

One wrong word could cost millions in a lawsuit.

and they have millions to lose.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don't think the WTBTS can fight Pedo and hate-speech lawsuits simultaneously. No one is that good. They have to pick their battles.

DD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Because the current leaders are a bunch of wimps without a clue and no clear direction.

None of the GB members are educated. None of them have any real life experience. None have ever had to work for a living. None have raised families.

They are completely fucking clueless, everyone of them.

And: GOD DOES NOT TALK TO THEM!

They may "think" he does, but he does not. This is their central delusion:

If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia. - Thomas Szasz

The WTBTS is being steered by the human equivalent of steers. And that's no bull!

Let's review: It's a cult!

-

• steve2
    steve2

As much as they'd deny it, the organization pretty much reflects the 'atmosphere' of the times. This is the age of politically correct discourse; any group that strays too far from the tempered discourse of PC will find itself in a mass of public outcry and/or legal problems. Besides, the organization also reaps the benefits of being on the receiving end of PCaccounts - media coverage, even when critical, is no where near as rabidly anti - Witness as it once was. With the passing of time, newer religious groups become part of the social fabric and acquire a certain respectability.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit