RODRIGUEZ LAWSUIT AGAINST WTS DISMISSED LAST WEEK

by AngryXJW 14 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AngryXJW
    AngryXJW

'Dateline' to feature Othello sex abuse case

This story was published 5/28/2002

By Shirley Wentworth
    Herald Basin bureau

OTHELLO -- This rural Basin town will be prominently featured tonight in a Dateline NBC segment investigating allegations that elders in the Jehovah's Witness church have covered up cases of child molestation.

Producer Rich Greenberg said a civil lawsuit brought against the elders in the Othello Spanish Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses and Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York are a key part of correspondent John Larson's report, which airs at 10 p.m.

The lawsuit was filed by a former Othello woman, Erica Rodriguez, 23, who was raped weekly by a former elder of that church from the time she was four until she moved from the area at 11.

Judge Edward Shea, U.S. District Court Judge in Richland, last week granted the Watchtower's motion to dismiss the case, ruling that it doesn't fall within federal jurisdiction.

Watchtower spokesman J.R. Brown said the church has a strict policy about sex abuse and advises congregation leaders to follow state law about reporting abuse. He maintains all accusations made by church detractors are false. But Rodriguez's attorney, Jeff Anderson of St. Paul, Minn., said the case still has merit and he plans to file a new suit in state court.

Rodriguez was the second person in the nation to have filed a suit against the religious group for allegedly failing to properly respond to accusations of sexual abuse by its members.

Manuel Beliz was declared guilty by two separate juries and is serving an 11-year sentence for abusing Rodriquez.

Her civil suit alleged that Beliz repeatedly threatened her with disfellowshipment from the Jehovah's Witnesses if she told police about the abuse, a threat she said was reiterated by elders in Sacramento, Calif.

Disfellowshipment means being cast out of the church and shunned by family and friends.

The lawsuit also stated that elders in the Othello church violated state law by not reporting the sex abuse, instead allowing the abuse to continue while giving Beliz positions as ministerial servant and elder.

Rodriguez also alleged that church policy tolerates child abuse, blames and humiliates victims and fails to report abuse to appropriate authorites.

The story has been drawing national attention along with the deluge of stories about abuse within the Catholic Church.

Two former church members in Kentucky said they were excommunicated for cooperating with the Dateline investigation.

. http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/2002/0528/story3.html

• Will Power
    Will Power

These WT lawyers must have friends in high places, and I don't mean how you say "up in the sky"

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Well I have to be honest.

I'm not impressed with this at all.

One - I didn't hear about this and I'm not impressed I didn't hear about this until now.

Two - what exactly is going on with this Anderson dude. No offence to Anderson and yes this case will go to state court but it is important that these cases move forward and not backward from an "optics" point of view. It is important that these cases are strong and in the right court. Now I may possibly hear the optics tonight on Dateline that this case is closed. Wrong optics to hear. The right optics to hear tonight would be how the WTS is going after the advocates and expelling them.

hawk

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Actually, the lawers for the Spanish Congergation was/is are local.

And why was this filed in a Federal court? Shouldn't this have been
    filed in a local civil court? Chances are you will hear a mention
    of the dimissal on Dateline. Not exactly adding credibility in the eyes of JW's to the case

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

I heard a rumor that it was dismissed because of a paperwork technicality...

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

The case continues, it has already been refiled. Mr. Anderson assured me there is no way the case will not go forward.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Thanks Bill.

hawk

• AngryXJW
    AngryXJW
    The case continues, it has already been refiled. Mr. Anderson assured me there is no way the case will not go forward.

silentlambs

THAT'S IT??? NO FURTHER DETAILS OR EXPLANATION???

Jeffrey Anderson, the grand slayer of religious organizations, whose genius gave rise to the delusional scheme to sue religious organizations under "Ricco", is so stupid as to file the lawsuit in the wrong courthouse???

Me suspects that there is much more to the story, and as usual, if such info is favorable to the WTS, don't count on "THE BIG MAN" to tell us about it. (PathofThorns is "the little man.")

Me further suspects that there were other WTS-favorable rulings that culminated in the Judge dismissing the lawsuit against WTS.

• MikeMusto
  • AngryXJW
    AngryXJW

The silence was expected!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit