Discussion forum: Communication tips...

by new hope and happiness 10 Replies latest jw friends

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Re-reading my last thread ".... my former faith, Islam and tolerance" i can see my O.P failed to clarify the specific point i wished to debate. ( Ironically i thought most posters were off topic).

Now it occurd to me that i have joined this " Discussion forum" but i have no former exsperience on discussion forums. (A very sad realization having been here a year)

Anyway i think a discussion on communicating on a " debating forum" is a subject that we can all benifit from.( Please no comments on my spelling and pronouncination, i am doing my best)

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Reveiwing my " thread history" since i joined.

A twenty one post thread = a two post thread.

Page one:

Tweny posts: 7 made a 2 page thread.

Page Two:

Twenty posts: 9 made a 2 post thread of which 2 made a 3 page thread.

Page Three:

Twenty posts: 13 made a two page thread. Plus threads of 3, 4, 5,6, pages threads.

Page Four : All posts make a two page thread or more....

So looking at my " Start a thread history" they have become more popular.

Why?

A) I think my threads are more about learning than teaching now.

B) I am more balanced and the anger of having been manipulated has passed.

Butof my 1628 posts i have never had a seriouse altercation with another poster.

Maybe i compromise to easily?

So what makes a good communicator who doesn' t compromise?

is it the ability to communicate on, controversial subjects, unanswerable questions, bad spelling, trolls, non trolls, spellers, non spellers, ect ect...and learn and be wrong?

• DJS
    DJS

Good OP New Hope, even though it doesn't seem to be drawing a lot of attention. I agree with you, but the anonymity provided by the Internet allows dumbasses to say anything in any manner. In addition, the world wide web allows for a 'leveling' of the playing field so that dumbasses and smart people can both appear to have a point. In a controlled environment with a rational, educated audience, the dumbasses wouldn't even be invited to the forum, much less be able to hijack or contaminate the discussion.

Spelling and grammar and other communication issues don't really bother me (they would if I was still teaching college). What really annoys me is that so many dumbasses show a deep lack of respect of:

a. the topic (if you don't know anything about it keep quiet, avoid the keyboard, go to google scholar, read a book, or otherwise know wtf you are tallking about when you approach the keyboard). And going quickly to the www to find the first confirmation bias article is not research;

b. debating protocols - debates in the rational grown up world are about 2 things - facts and the correct interpretation of those facts. Anything else is an opinion or a debating strategy employed by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and are seeking to 'win' points. Show some humility and frame an opinion as an opinion. It amazes me how many dumbasses quickly and arrogantly express entrenced views in disagreement with the absolute experts on a topic who have advanced degrees and decades of experience on a topic while they themselves have nothing more than a high school diploma from Dumbass High; and

c. other posters and lurkers - arrogantly and childishly taking up space that could better be used wastes everyone's time, and as Cofty and others have rightly pointed out, dumbass views can infect others.

Wiinning 'points' on the world wide web is a given; any dumbass viewpoint immediately collects a cadre of like-minded dumbass adherents, which is an annoying thing about the 'net but overall in the greater scheme of things may be a good thing. I'm still wondering about that though. I think all of us (except the dumbasses amongst us) would prefer that dumbasses remain silent, do some research, or simply show some humility. There are few things worse than an entrenched, arrogant dumbass.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Thanks DJS.

That was great and diplomatic advice.

My problem is i start a thread and fail to keep it on truck. So i miss the learning point i started the thread for)

Now i often avoid threads when conflicts happen, and seem to become attacks and bullying. But i think this " avoidence" is wrong?

Experts or non expert opinion on how we stand our ground and keep a thread positivly on topic.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Maybe DJS..its not about winning but loosing points.( humility)

And if we can't support knowledge with solid facts, its opinion only.

• DJS
    DJS

Opinions are fine and acceptable New Hope, they just need to be framed as opinions with some humility - you just might be wrong. How many of us on this site have been wrong about a major issue. Besides all of us.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

DJS...let me say i have a commercial interest in this post. I want to write my new book:-

" A guide to communicating on ex Jehovets Witness Forums, and other top tips"

Yes it is through sites like this we can learn about deception.

Did Mary really have a little lamb, or was it a just a humun boy named Jesus?

Talking about Lambs, i could do with a shepherds pie now, and a portion of gatden peas.

Sometimes i think my humouristic words fail badly. ( i blame it on diffetent cultures)

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I think my second post on this thread was very self indulgent and of only interest to me.

So lets remember when we post we are not dining alone, in fact we are the head of a big banquet.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

NHAH: I think my threads are more about learning than teaching now.

Good.

I'm glad you've realized that we often do NOT communicate the message we think we sent!

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Oubliette :

to make your point, let me tell you a joke.

Receptionist:" Dr Billabong will see you now"

Patient: " Which Doctor?"

Receptionist: " Oh, no, hes fully qualified"

So i think the message is when we are on disscussion forums, we dont sign autographs and so we shouldnt' t become big headed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit