New Zealand News: Jehovah's Witness dies after refusing blood transfusion

by AndersonsInfo 28 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Hemopure is now much more available and is used by the military of the USA. I do realize this stuff is probably not readily available for just any reason and on short notice. Someone posting here from the UK said they had a relative in the UK that was to maybe need a transfusion and the Liaison committee suggested she use this stuff. There has also been a couple of cases in the US reported that JW used the stuff..

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Anything can happen during minor surgery...feel bad for the doctor being able to save her simple transfusion...."she WHAT wont take blood!!!"

• designs
    designs

Having lost my Dad to a similar circumstance- hemorrhaged post op which led to massive stroke. There was no blood in the entire hospital, it was a hospital for JWs. The operation and post op care was negligent by not having life saving treatments on hand.

• steve2
    steve2

This has been big news here for the past few days. The emphasis rightly has been on the surgeon's dangerous incompetence.

I know this young woman's family (JWs) and also knew her...but less well (she had been in my older sister's congregation some years ago but had moved on). The woman was no longer a witness but refused blood. She was under no pressure from her JW family at all. It was her decision. It was a routine operation and should have proceeded without any complication.

The surgeon was responsble for the deaths of 2 other (much older) patients. He had a cavalier approach to surgery and was known to give medical file notes only a cursory glance. As the report confirms, he had no idea that this woman had signed a declaration refusing blood until after the surgery when the anaesthetist informed him.

A medical colleague of mine heard that she likely would have most likely died even if a blood transfusion been administered because the internal bleeding had been massive and detected too late.

Although the complaint was about the surgeon, in my view, there was an astonishing failure of communication on both the surgeon's and anaesthetist's parts. Hell, if you know the surgeon you are working with has a reputation for sloppy attention to the clinical file, wouldn't you feel compelled to alert the surgeon to the clinical details, including patient declarations beforehand (keyhold surgery that went wrong)??! If I were the Health & Disability Commissioner, I'd be throwing the book at both of them. It really has stirred up my JW family and, from what I hear, the wider JW community in my area. I guess I am reflecting part of that. So sad.

• talesin
    talesin

This is tragic, but not surprising. Anaesthetists need to carefully check every patient's file due to the nature of their job. A general surgeon may often be cavalier about a 'simple laparascopic procedure like a gallbladder'. As the article stated:

The anaesthetist was aware of her position but did not tell the surgeon, who failed to read the information in the woman's case file ahead of the operation.

During the procedure, due to difficulties with access and visibility, the surgeon converted to open surgery but after it was over, the woman's condition deteriorated.

[bold is mine]

I guess things went from 'simple laparascopy' to "Open her up, she's hemmorhaging~!" and now, even though her chances may not have been good either way, Mr. Big Shot Surgeon is in trouble. I hope he is gets NAILED for it.

tal

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I had the exact same surgery, when I was still a JW. I was in extremely poor shape by the time I was correctly diagnosed, it was emergency surgery. My surgeon came close to doing open surgery, but managed to finish using only laparoscopy. It's too bad the surgeon didn't know, he might have avoided open surgery and she might not have died. It's still a stupid Watchtower policy, a ridiculous doctrine based on fear and superstition that they can't admit is wrong.

• steve2
    steve2

The other two patients who died were not JWs and a similar cavalier approach to surgery was noted in the coroners' reports for those two. This is one instance in which, regardless of the patient's clearly signed blood refusal,she was at prime risk due to the surgeon NOT the surgery nor its 'declarative' restraint, I.e., blood refusal. The fact that the patient had refused blood and the surgeon did not know until an emergency arose illustrates the man's incompetence to practice. He has since resigned.

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

the title of this topic is misleading. She was not one of Jehovah's Witnesses. As a matter a fact she was an EX-JW like most of the posters on this forum

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Huh this is the first I have heard of this.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

She might have been an ex-JW, but it comes to show you the extent of the influence they have. My wife has a cousin that lives nearby us. She is no longer attending meetings, attends other churches, celebrates birthdays, etc, etc. But she is in need of a surgery and she is being told by her doctors she needs to get her iron up or else, she may need blood during the surgery. She is still in that mindset that she needs to refuse it because of her belief. Despite having "failed Jehovah in every other aspect".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit