is the big show on 1914 at Service Meeting evidence of factions in the GB?

by Wasanelder Once 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mana11
    mana11

I want to know how to capture a stream,,,

• steve2
    steve2

What a load of speculative flatulence. Look, there's a wealth of TATT at our fingertips without this kind of "I'm wondering out loud about what could be going on...let me take a wild stab at it...and put the most sensational gloss on it, totally without evidence...hey but don't let that put you off joining in and together we can mount a speculation upon speculation upon speculation thread that is thrilling but totally lacking in observable fact."

I guess like Christ's return in 1914, its invisibility is its chief virtue. Because you cannot see it, it must be true.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Could this video/demonstration at the Service meeting tonight on why they believe in 1914 and how to explain it to others be an effort to bolster that belief because there is a challange coming against it by factions within?

Sure. It happens periodically.

When there were murmurings about 1914 and chronology in the aftermath of Russell's death and the end of the war, Rutherford shouted down the dissenters, dug his heels in, and made adherence to Russell's chronological scheme a test of loyalty to the Society in a series of articles in 1922.

The 1960s saw many and more detailed articles about chronology. JWs like e.g. Max Hatton had corresponded with the Society and asked them lots of awkward questions they couldn't satisfactorily answer. (We need to remember also the 1975 thing was launched which focussed on the WT's 'Bible chronology' too.)

Carl Jonsson's findings rattled HQ in the late '70s and so the WT views were restated and 'defended' in 1981's Kingdom Come book.

Age of the internet, lots of discussion, criticisms, Furuli's nonsense and 100 long years since the Kingdom's alleged birth - all this exposure makes JWs look at and/or question WT chronology, especially now. The WT response? Do what it's done in the past. Put on its game face, thump the same tub, quash doubts and ensure the r&f unitedly toe the party line.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I feel they are trying to keep the R&F from thinking and talking. Many years ago when I was first appointed a elder I was told many times from CO's and older elders you could not trust the R&F to do the right thing. This is all about keeping them in line not knowing how to answer the question about 1914 out in service. Still Totally ADD

• prologos
    prologos

There can be two different policies going on in a multiple leadersship at the same time , witness Freddie's 1940 GT speculation, no blood for pets, 1975 foreys into blue yonder combined with Nathan K's no-nonsense: push -the -efficiency maschine.

This highlighting 1914 by calculation, rather than evidence, war, pestilence, could be one faction testing the waters if it will fly (contradicting metaphor intended).

In Brooklyn/Patterson, like in our congregation, it can produce strange alliances.

The main 1914 service meeting part by an older brother with a mix of serious hilarity " If you approache a householder cold with this You risk to be considered a mental case--" and attempts to calculate, and the demonstration part by a super ambitious, young family, clueless as to actual content, but doing it blindly with the hope with a advancement pay-off.

So these might be trial balloons allowed, tolerated by different afctions to see what will work.

a case of trying to get to vox populi - vox dei

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

1914 is embarrassing and while obsolete for all practical purposes, it is still a teaching oftheirs that many others hinge upon.It is stupid though-so how much better tohave someone else dothe thinking for them and present the "reason why we believe 1914 matters" talk without anyone having to turn on their brain cells. They can't abandon it yet, but no one really wants to do all their stupid maths and leaps of reasoning to explain the nonsense. So,they now have carefully scripted/or video'd nonsense so that none of the r&F or 'elder ones' have to do any heavy lifting nor will they botch the current rationale for the entire thing (lets face it, anyone over 40 has a lot of (WT) history of that date to get muddled into things and mess up whatever the current light is on the subject.)

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

A friends daughter came home from the meeting last night and was a bit emotional since her parents are both out. So I wonder if they are also pushing the end so close during these discussions about 1914 anybody know?

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

Actually there was no discussion of the end being close associated with it. Sir82 summerized it perfectly. Basic boaring and stupid as sin

• hildebrando
    hildebrando
    mana11posted a day ago(10/22/2014)
    Post 61 of 66
    Joined 9/18/2014

I want to know how to capture a stream,,,

You use Screen Recorder http://srecorder.com/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit