Evidence Regarding the Evolution of Cetaceans - Whales etc

by cofty 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

If as you say Cofty, evolution is now a compulsory topic taught science in U.K schools. Then Evolution is now being taught as truth in U.K schools.

Is that not strong evidence that evolution can stand up to scrutiny? At the very least it shows the U.K education system accepts evolution can stand up to religious srutiny.

• bohm
    bohm

Geh Jhine, it is allmost as if you took the talkorigins page for creationist quotemining and desided to remove the context for the quotes:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/quotes/mine/part1-4.html

Notice that the quotes you have cited out of context are about 30 years old and (supposedly) discuss a fossil record full of gaps. This thread discuss the fossil record of cetaceans which has been dramatically expanded in the past decades and contain many transitional forms. Now if you think about those two things for a moment you will realise the fossil record today is more full and contain more transitional forms than it did 30 years ago, and the same point could be made regarding nearly any other larger group. Now how does that fit in with the creationist hypothesis?

• cofty
    cofty

Jan - Utter drivel. So utterly pathetically wrong that I can't be arsed to explain why. It's like listening to somebody who can't count to 10 ranting about why differential calculus doesn't work.

I used to be very patient explaining evolution at great length. Now wilfull ignorance jsut annoys me.

People who understand nothing about science but who love to copy-paste should not be allowed access to the internet.

Macro-evolution is not a proven fact , NOT a proven fact

It is a fact beyond all reasonable doubt that every living thing on earth evolved from a common ancestor. It is as certain as the fact that the earth is not flat.

The number of transitional fossils that we now have is an embarrassment of riches. The sequence showing the evolution of limbs from fins as astonishing. The evolution of the jaw and inner ear is stunning. The whale sequence is jaw-droppingly brilliant. The transition form sea to land is so detailed that paleantologists argue whether some examples are "fish-like reptiles" or "reptile-like fish".

The hominid sequence showing the dawn of walking upright and the increase in cranuim volume is wonderful.

Buy "What the Fossils Say and Why it Matters" by Donald Prothero and educate yourself.

The most powerful evidence - the one that could stand alone - is in the DNA. What you have written shows you don't undestand page 1. Go look for the "Common Ancestry" thread and read some books.

"Endless Forms Most Beautiful" by Sean B. Carroll

"The making of the fittest" by Sean B Carroll

"Evolution, what the fossils say" by Donald Prothero

"Why Evolution is true" by Jerry Coyne

"Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin

"The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins

"The Greatest Show on Earth" by Dawkins

"Life Ascending" by Nick Lane

• cofty
    cofty

Do not suppose that only scientists who are Christians have trouble with some of Darwins theories , that is not the case .

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The video is a highly distilled taster. After that you need to do some homework.

Sadly many Christians - especially jdubs want somebody else to do their thinking for them, and that means letting ignorant old men, who went to Beth hell and cannot even think clearly themselves, decide that what they dont understand or know about is a lot of shite. But then so is most of what the religious press excretes faithfully.

• jhine
    jhine

O.K. I was hard on the video , but how did the bit about humans get in there ? I have looked into this and in any scientific write up on this subject I found no mention of humans , so why was that slipped in here ?

Why does this keep coming back to the Witnesses , I have never been a Witness .

Only die hard creationist Christians totally discount evolution . Most Christians are totaly accepting and comfortable with most of ,I was going to put the Theory of Evolution , but some do object to that as they say that evolution is fact . Where I think Christians differ from non Christians on this is the conclusions reached on the back of evolution .

Cofty's cartoon suggesting that a few bitter and unsuccseful scientists are at odds with evolution, for reasons known only to themselves I presume, is not accurate and is insulting . However as I said it is typical of the backlash against anyone who queries the idea that evolution has provided all the proof needed to get God out of the picture .

Jan

• cofty
    cofty

how did the bit about humans get in there ? I have looked into this and in any scientific write up on this subject I found no mention of humans

I don't understand your question? Humans evolved just like every other animal. The evidence for human common descent is beyond doubt.

it is typical of the backlash against anyone who queries the idea that evolution has provided all the proof needed to get God out of the picture .

The fact of evolution has nothing to do with getting god out the picture. It is just a fact. Theologians who care about reality need to deal with it.

Only fundie christians and muslims have a problem accepting reality. There are some excellent scientists who are also christians. Francis Collins and Kenneth Miller are good examples.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

poopsiecakes - "I've come to the conclusion that people who reject evolution do so because they have no true concept of time outside of their own personal experience of time. So if they haven't seen evolution in the 20, 30, 40 or so years since they've been introduced to the theory, it can't be true. Just a pet hypothosis of mine."

You might be on to something.

x

With Biblical literalist/fundamentalist Christians, though, the main reason (and the WTS even tacitly affirmed this a few years back) is the fact that, if evolution is true, the Eden narrative in Genesis can't possibly be literal history.

Fundy Christian ideology is - one way or another - pretty much dependent on that assumption, however, so evolution - by its very nature (no pun intended) is completely out of the question.

• jhine
    jhine

Cofty , firstly , sorry that I have been so long getting back to the thread , a very hectic few days .

To be honest I am not sure how to pose the question about humans in a way that would make sense to anyone other than myself . So I withdraw it . I agree that only Christian fundamentalists and Muslims have a problem with evolution as such . As I said where Christians and atheists may disagree is to conclusions drawn from evolution . If an atheist says" well evolution proves that Genesis cannot be literal ", as mentioned by Vidiot "so that nullifies the whole Bible and the idea of God " which Vidiot did not say , I do not wish to put words into Vidiot's mouth , then Christians would disagree . LOts of Christians do not view the Genesis account as literal , or indeed Jonah in the whale .

Thank you for acknowledging that there are many excellent scientists who are Christians , I am sure that they have their own thoughts about Genesis etc , but see the evolution process as wondrous and awe inspiring and proof of intelligent design .

On that maybe we must simply agree to disagree .

Jan

• cofty
    cofty

but see the evolution process as wondrous and awe inspiring and proof of intelligent design .

Then they are superstitious creationists not scientists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit