Despicable crazy people

by jgnat 32 Replies latest social current

• jgnat
    jgnat

There are some mental illnesses which come with the potential for extreme violence. I'm not talking the sociopath here who kills without remorse, but those mentally ill people while in the throes of their delusions who are driven to kill. The outcomes can be horrific.

On December 6, 1989, a lone gunman gunned down fourteen women at a Montreal college. The feminist movement (the liberals so lambasted on this board lately) picked this up as a symbol of "hatred against women". This bothered me deeply because the lesson at the college is not that all men wish to kill women, but that a single, mentally unstable gunman managed to slip through the cracks in hour mental-health care system. Killing women is just crazy. By targetting the wrong group - all men - the real problem is left unresolved. We don't have adequate resources to identify and treat mentally ill people.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/society/crime-justice/the-montreal-massacre/gunman-massacres-14-women.html

On July 30, 2008, Vince Li beheaded fellow passenger Tim McLean on a Greyhound bus. Mr. Li has been incarcerated in a mental institution ever since. Many Canadians would have preferred the death sentence for this horrific act, and any application for day passes makes the news. Mr. Li at the time felt he was defending himself against his alien tormentors. I have sympathy for the whole tragic unfolding of events, as Mr. Li has the same mental illness as my son. I have heard my son relate his own terrors, and I along with his mental health team do our best to convince him to live in peace, regardless of the sinister intent of the incessant voices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean

Certainly propogandizing our planet with the news that we are not under attack by hostile aliens, would have little effect. Metal detectors at bus stations may help. But again, I think the issue is with poor identification and treatment of mental illness in this country. I think it is the best way to prevent future events.

Now we have a beheading in Oklahoma by a crazed knife-weilding co-worker, Alton Nolen. He also happened to be a recent convert to Islam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughan_Foods_beheading_incident

Is the problem the violent nature of the Islamic writings? Or is it anti-feminist rhetoric? Or perhaps too many alien sightings? Crazy is crazy, and it barely needs any signal from the outside world to ignite.

I'll bet anything that Alton Nolen went and gone postal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal

• talesin
    talesin

Thank you for not mentioning 'his' name. When a woman massacres a group of men, I will consider your point more valid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzDwvMmUTM

tal

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

That's the thing with psychosis the triggers are different with each person.

With some it may be religious writings or rantings, with someone else it may be

a war movie, or with someone else it could be the number 23.

I have known people with mental illness and inexplicable things can set them off,

let alone extreme religious or antisocial world views.

Mental instability and those things can be a recipe for disaster.

What is the answer? Honestly dunno :(

• kaik
    kaik

Crazy people that commit horrible crimes are not unique to USA or Canada. They always existed. Even wealthy societies does not have sufficient resources and will to deal with them. Eventually these individuals will get back to society where they would kill. 40+ years ago, the biggest spree murderer in communist Czechoslovakia was a woman, Olga Hepnárová that killed 8 people and injured twice that more. http://murderpedia.org/female.H/h/hepnarova-olga.htm She was treated in various mental institutions, attempted to murder her family, and yet she was always released back into the society. One of the problem with mentally ill people is also lack of will in families to get these people treated. There is huge stigma with a mental illness, and families do tend to appologies for the behavior regardless what the person had done.

• jgnat
    jgnat

For Talesin.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2798167/italian-nurse-murdered-38-patients-pleasure-enjoyed-challenge.html

Granted, the woman did not distinguish between men or women. Her disorder was unique to her.

• jgnat
    jgnat

kaik, as I have three mentally ill people in my immediate family, I can assure you there is no "lack of will" on my part to seek treatment for them. What I have seen is a "lack of will" and poor education amongst the health profession and the police service. The outpatient services also are poorly funded.

• KateWild
    KateWild

There does seem to be countries that allow mental patients slip through the net, especially if they start to become unwell and have no support system around them. The UK seems to be failing theor patients too. Kate xx

• Simon
    Simon

jgnat: this is your latest lame attempt to excuse islam by finding a few horrific acts by mentally ill people and lumping them all in together. "h e also happened to be a recent convert to Islam " ... yeah, so now we excuse any act if someone screams allu ackbar while they do it?

If that is what you believe then you'd have to explain why islam appeals to and attracts more mentally ill than other groups seem to, or why islam seems to particularly fail to direct mentally ill to get medial help ... or maybe it is a mental illness in itself, like a disease. Oh no wait, you objected to the that already!

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

jgnat - great post to bring out another layer of complexity in the issue that sparked the black and white thread about Islam inspiring violence which raged for pages and days. Of course your point will be lost on those with a confirmation bias to blame Islam for the Oklahoma beheading in much the same way that cofty's confirmation bias meant that he found it totally acceptable to present a 'hearsay account' as evidence of "Mo being a pedo". Never mind that such evidence would be completely inadmissible in a court of law. I see Coded Logic has started another thread arguing that Islam is ipso facto violent. I am not taking the bait - it is a waste of time arguing with people who have such an embedded confirmation bias. Fraz

• Simon
    Simon

Please tell us how many muslims beheading people and claiming islam as their motivation will be required before you want to believe that islam is possibly a motivating factor and also who get's to decide if someone is mentally ill or just a sicko hateful moron? Apparently right now it's jgnat who thinks posting a link to an article that makes no reference to mental illness will suffice as a diagnosis so she can dismiss someone's actions.

So, are all of ISIS just mentally ill and needing help?

Were the nazis just misunderstood and needed a chat?

It seems that some people definitely have a bias - whatever some people do in the name of islam then islam itself still can't be blamed.

It makes no sense to me but you're welcome to your dellusions and personal biases.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit