University Application Personal Statement dilemma - Should I mention my jw past?

by will-be-apostate 38 Replies latest jw friends

• kaik
    kaik

I never mentioned my JW past on school application and I have done both undergrad and postgrad from state university. I do not think it is relevant to your field at all. The issue may exist in specific field like philosophy or social studies, but not in chemical engineering.

• steve2
    steve2

Kaik - well said!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

You are applying for an engineering course. Not the job of a lecturer or running a charity. Why would you mention it at all?

If any of them know about dubs they will say "let's not bother with him - witnesses always put their cult first before studies or college based activities. They dont want to contribute to the life and community of non witness students. In the bin!"

Saying you gave up da troof and no longer believe it labels you as a sucker for lost causes and a quitter. In the bin.

If you get an interview, they will notice your poise and demeanour and speaking ability anyway. If you are accepted, your other good qualities will also get noticed.

• tiki
    tiki

Things may be different in the UK, but in the US it is more likely to be considered "politically incorrect" to vamp up your resume with things of a religious nature....... I think the suggestions to keep it vague are the best - if you really deem it all that required to add in the first place. They are looking for intelligent, open-minded people who are willing to use and develop their brain power to the betterment of humanity. In all honesty, the JW experience doesn't exactly give one much footing in that arena...........

Best wishes to you! I got my degree quite late in life, after my cognitive dissonance extricated me from that mess of a religion. Put your mind to it and work hard and the semesters will fly by!!

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Hey, thank you for the posts, however I don't quite agree with the vast majority who says that the jw experience is just a pain in the ass and adds nothing valuable to a resume for instance.

The skills and work experience doesn't have to be directly related to the course I am applying to if I can relate them in some way.

Anyway, I'm not gonna risk it; but the thing is as a jw I didn't involve in a lot extra curriculum activities that I could mention which would add value to my PS.

• rmt1
    rmt1

It sounds like you're in a position where the JW heritage is all the cards you have to play with. Now, you can say play your opponent not your hand and bluff with JW stuff. Do you have technical / computer work experience / hobbies? Can you apply as an 'undeclared major'? If you do that, you might take intro math, intro chemistry, intro engineering (open to non-Chem Engr students) and gain some insights and leverage into your formal application to the College of Engineering / Chemical Engineering.

If that's your picture, it would appear you have a lot of years to make mistakes and prevail against them. You can parlay that youth against the red pill, Your in-JW experience will not assist you in *matriculating into* *Chemical Engineering*. I say this as someone who carefully considered every interesting degree program that the U Arizona offered, and picking that one because I heard it was the hardest and made the most money after graduation. I was a JW, I had gotten out, I was owed some kind of ordinary, if belated, "worldly" existence, I wanted to get mine, I'd show them what I was made of, etc, etc. If I could go back to the moment I started questioning my ability to get through the math, my present self would tell my past self, "You are twenty-six years old. You CAN take the time to cover all the necessary bases for success."

And go talk to an academic advisor. This is what they're paid for. Don't spill the JW beans like to a confessor. No one frankly can give a rat's ass. It's 2014. That cult should be illegal. Just get their take on how while holding only a few cards.

If you get into a science and engineering program, the good news is: Your exiting-JW experience *might be able to help you in a degree if you were doing as the Boereans did, and used the scientific method, testing out to see if this or that bullshit, this or that theory, was true. Remember that you have many years, and several months spent carefully Now, maybe a year (yes, or two) can save decades, quarters of centuries, of financial angst.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Get some hobbies quick 😁

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I applied for a Wall Street job years ago. My college was 3rd rate. The interviewer/manager was unimpressed and was going to pass on me. Final question was, what makes you think you could even do this job? As a last ditch effort, I said :Rejection is a huge problem with your hires, right? I was raised as a Jehovahs Witness, and I have been knocking on strangers doors since I was a little kid, getting doors slammed on me, yelled at, dogs sicked on me, hosed down, etc. ANYTHING an executive says to me will roll off my back.

The guy got a HUGE smile, belly laughed, and announced "Your HIRED!! " See you Monday!!

I was big time embarrased when he re-told the story over and over again at bars next to the exchange months afterward. Made it hard to "fit in"- they looked at me like a zoo animal, or a lost Amish boy. :)

• bemused
    bemused

Hi w-b-a. Couldn't you just say volunteering for your 'church' rather than 'JW'?

In any event, don't stress out about it. Exam results massively outweigh personal statements at UK universities, particularly for academic subjects like yours. Good luck!

PS - I don't know where you're applying to but I hear good things about Loughborough.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I wouldn't mention your experience with the JWS, your just setting yourself up as a religious nutter that calls on people's doors

Saturday mornings.

Why do you think presenting your religious convictions will gain a level of attractiveness to the study of chemical engineering ?

You aren't applying for a degree in theology.

How about presenting scholastic achievements and references from past teachers, now there's something the admittance staff can appreciate

and appeal to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit