TRY THIS WATCHTOWER QUIZ

by Terry 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

The quiz will be followed by the answers. DON'T PEEK!

The answers should be avoided while taking the quiz

You are on the honor system!

GOOD LUCK!

1. In what year did the Watchtower bible and tract society BEGIN teaching that Jesus Christ returned invisibly in 1914?

2. When, according to the Society, did 6,000 years of human existence end?

3.True or False: C.T.Russell solicited donations under the pretense that donors would neither die nor get sick.

4. The origin of the door to door work as a christian duty commenced because:

a. It was costing Russell $42,000 to hire 300 boys to pass out literature

b. It kept people busy and distracted them from all his failed prophesy

c. Clergy managed to keep Russell's books out of regular bookstores so self-distribution was the only alternative.

5. In 1894 four leaders of Bible Study groups using Russell's writings rose up to accuse Russell of what?

a.Sexual impropriety

b. false prophesies contained in his older books

c. Pope-like power for trying to increase his power and control over their groups

6. Russell slept with another man on a narrow bed-lounge. True or False?

7.In what year did the WTS begin soliciting donations? Why?

8. In what year did the GB decide to forbid Blood Transfusions as doctrine?

9. For how long was a ban imposed (punishable by disfellowshipping) on vaccinations by Jehovah's Witnesses?

bullet "Vaccination never prevented anything and never will, and is the most barbarous practice...We are in the last days; and the devil is slowly losing his hold, making a strenuous effort meanwhile to do all the damage he can, and to his credit can such evils be placed...Use your rights as American citizens to forever abolish the devilish practice of vaccinations."

10. Has the Watchtower ever claimed that Baptism is of pagan origins? Yes/No.

11. Has the Watchtower Society itself ever celebrated a birthday?

12. Which published book is the most printed?

a. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

b.The Diary of Anne Frank

c.The Late Great Planet Earth by Hal Lindsey

d.The New World Translation

e.The Truth that Leads to Eternal Life (containing the bogus 1975 claim)

-----------------------------------------------------DO NOT PEEK WHILE TAKING THE TEST!----------------------------------------------------------

Answers:

1.In 1930 Christ's return and "presence" was switched from 1874 to 1914.

Reference: http://users.adam.com.au/bstett/JWBoastfulLies72.htm

In The Golden Age magazine (1930 p.503) Joseph Rutherford, the second president of the WTS, wrote "Jesus has been present since 1914" but he gave no supporting explanation.

In 1932: The prophecy of the Bible, fully supported by the physical facts in fulfilment thereof, shows that the second coming of Christ dates from the fall of the year 1914.

(What is Truth? 1932)

2. 1873: The end of the six great 1000 year days beginning with Adam and the beginning of the great 7th day, the 1000 years of Christ's reign. - The Time is at Hand, (1916), Pg2.

Also: 1975: The end of 6000 years from man's creation and the probable beginning of Christ's millennial reign. - Life Everlasting in Freedom... (1966), Pgs 29, 30.

reference: http://users.adam.com.au/bstett/JwPropheticRecord4.htm

3. TRUE! At first Russell solicited donations under the pretension that the donators would neither die nor get sick "except by God's will". (*) When some did die the offer needed amending. But miraculous healings allegedly continued, including arthritics, deaf people, and even old persons restored to youth. (**) This was discontinued in the 1890s.

reference: *Watch Tower Reprints 1881 January p. 181

**Watch Tower Reprints 1883 pp. 436-437; 1885 pp. 748749; 1885 pp. 782-784

4. ALL 3! Tract production and distribution in 1880, including hiring of 300 New York boys to distribute tracts at church doors, cost Russell $42,000. Such commitment meant no turning back. So, to reduce costs Russell introduced tracteering as a Christian duty within the sect. Being thus kept busy diverted their attention from failed prophecy and instilled a sense of commitment in all. The "keep them busy" stratagem is still successful a century later.

Russell commenced a set of books, "Studies in the Scriptures". Local clergymen opposed their sale in bookstores. Therefore Russell introduced colporteuring in which selected followers earned incomes by doorstep book selling.

Reference: http://users.adam.com.au/bstett/JWRussellCT4.htm

5.ALL 3! in 1889. Already he had followers overseas. To secure his authority among them, Russell made his first overseas trip 1891 to Britain and the Mediterranean. Next he appointed "pilgrims" to visit ecclesias, give sermons and enforce use of his books.

Russell's early books were already dated. His failed prophecies, ever changing "truth", increasing power and stricter oversight sparked "rebellion". Several small groups split off in 1881. In 1894 four leaders united in accusing Russell of sexual impropriety and of "Pope-like" power. But Maria, Russell's wife, came to the rescue visiting the ecclesias, defending him. There were disturbances in Ireland and Switzerland after 1900. In Melbourne the Branch Leader took 80 of 100 converts with him in 1908. A major revolt in 1911 included the sect's vice president and Russell's private secretary.

Reference: http://users.adam.com.au/bstett/JWRussellCT4.htm

6. TRUE if Brother Bohnet's words are correct. Alternatively "Brother" Bohnet's words are suggestive if inconclusive:

"I had for many years been a member of the Bible House family, had eaten and lived there, and even enjoyed your uncomfortable bed-lounge with you on various occasions since the year 1895."

Reference: Watch Tower Reprints 1910 3/15 p. 4590

7. January 17, 1990 the Supreme Court in California Board of Equalization vs. Jimmy Swaggart Ministries ruled against Swaggart. The lawsuit was lost. WTS had joined Swaggart in trying to escape taxation.

8. Around 1945

9.The group banned their members from having vaccinations from 1931 to 1952. Since Golden Age 1921 decrying articles began to appear.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/witness6.htm

10. Yes, but they practice it anyway. "The practice of baptism...predates the Christian faith. It was employed in Babylonia and ancient Egypt, where the cold waters of the Nile were thought to increase strength and bestow immortality." (WT 1993 April 1 p.4)

11. Yes. They celebrated their 100th birthday. The WTS had no compunction in declaring their July 1, 1979 Watchtower a "special issue" celebrating a century of publication. The Watchtower Corporation also celebrated its own hundredth birthday as a Centennial to Remember in 1984! (WT 1985 January 1 p. 16)

The Truth that Leads to Eternal Life 1969/1981 108,000,000

New World Translation (In whole or part) 1950s-2000 100,000,000

American Spelling Book 1783 Noah Webster 100,000,000

Automobile Association Handbook 1908-1991 98,000,000

Guinness Book of Records 1955-1999 85,000,000

The McGuffey Reader 1853-1879 William H McGuffey 60,000,000

A Message to Garcia 1899 Elbert Hubbard 50,000,000

Knowledge that Leads to Everlasting Life 1995 46,000,000

The Living Bible 45,000,000

You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth 1982/1989 42,000,000

True Peace and Security 1986 37,000,000

To Kill A Mockingbird 1960 Harper Lee 30,000,000

Gone With the Wind 1936 Margaret Mitchell 30,000,000

Valley of the Dolls 1966 Jacqueline Susann 29,000,000

The Diary of Anne Frank 25,000,000

• toweragent
    toweragent

Wow... I got about a 33%. Even knowing TTATT, there are still alot of nuggets of embarrassing info that I wasn't aware of. I swear this religion gets weirder and wierder every day I learn more about it.

Good job Terry! It was a good excercise! I guess I don't know the WTBS as well as I thought!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Excellent Terry. A real keeper....to quiz JWs at the door on their historical knowledge.

How about adding:

1n what year were JWs told they could call Jerusalem to ask Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to raise their grandparents?

• Terry
  • goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

Very cool!!!!!!!!

I wish so much that my wife would awaken to the lies.....It truely sucks monkey nuts!!!!!!!

GTTM

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Thanks Terry . For all your posts. I got 4 correct. Well not quite. Answer number 1 was 1935 according to me. So three actually

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Good post Terry. #9 Is interesting to me because my father flew overseas with Knoor a number of times before 1952. (when the vaccination ban was lifted.) They had to have a passport to travel to these countries and they had to have all the required vaccinations to obtain the passport. Smells like hypocracy don't you think? When I was born in '52 I was not given the vaccinations that doctors routinely gave babies. My parents both had passports and were vaccinated but chose to withhold them from me. (more hypocracy) I'm glad "Ceasar" forced the polio vaccine in order to enter shool. When I came down with an unusually severe case of chicken Pox mom was worried that it was smallpox and sheepishly told the doctor that she had failed to have me innoculated. he he

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

The Truth that Leads to Eternal Life 1969/1981 108,000,000

New World Translation (In whole or part) 1950s-2000 100,000,000

American Spelling Book 1783 Noah Webster 100,000,000

yes, but...

Gideon Bibles and New Testaments: 1,900,000,000!

(I got all of the "all the above" ones, they were pretty obvious! I was guessing Rose Ball for the settee question.)

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I am assuming that this lounge resting was an effort to affect the "bosom position". At meals the one who was most loved and closest was to recline next to the host, they all sort of leaned on one another as they all reclined while eating and the one next to the host was in the "bosom position". I can see nutty Charlie trying to act this out. That couch was referred to as a "fainting couch".

What ya think Terry?

(Novel is coming along. My eyes aren't so great but I'm working on it.)

• JeffT
    JeffT

I got most of them. Food for thought: There have been at least a billion copies of "Quotations from Chairman Mao" printed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit