Question for those converted to JW as adults

by DaleRivers 35 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

I am a convert, I converted in my 20's. It wasn't a teaching that converted me it was the love bombing. I had an instant circle of friends that truly loved me for who I was. These dear friends became like family to me and were genuine to the core, some have died now. But my loved ones are the reason leaving is so painful and joining was so easy.

They didn't realise love bombing was a cult strategy, they are all genuine my close loved ones.

That's what got me in, and why I stayed for so long.

Kate xx

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is interesting to me that adult converts who have responded to this Thread all give emotional reasons really for their being sucked, or suckered, in.

I think today's leaders of the Cult realise this, and in the future it will all be fuzzy warm emotion, with doctrine right in the background.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I think today's leaders of the Cult realise this, and in the future it will all be fuzzy warm emotion, with doctrine right in the background.

In other words, like most churches I've attended. This is a problem for those witnesses who believe that this is the churches primary failing. That is, they are all about emotion and not enough about learning the true teachings. Why else do you need to answer over 80 questions concerning Watchtower doctrine before becoming a candidate for baptism? Just accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and get baptized in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Oh wait, you must accept Jehovah and get baptized to the Organization.

• stillin
    stillin

I was in my twenties. An old girlfriend had converted to being a JW and I thought she had simply lost her mind but I tried to show some respect and read some of the things she sent me. I was "in the life" though and having a great time until early one morning I was rudely awakened by a very nervous policeman with a 12 guage shotgun pointed at me. It was really dicey for a few minutes and I was thinking to myself, "why am I living a life like this?" I decided to make a deal right then with the man upstairs; if I could live through this and not go to prison, I would make big changes in my life.

• paladin
    paladin

I converted at 21 due to my sister and her husband teaching me that 1975 was the year for the Big 'A'. Well what a big joke that turned out to be. Yea, all smoke & mirrors.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I converted from Catholicism in my late 20s. I appreciated the JW teaching of when you die, your dead. Heaven was never appealing to me, even as a kid. I never wanted to die either so that was awesome. I like the message of a global paradise and peace on the planet. I wanted all that, but after knowing the crazies in the org, I opted out. Some days I still feel a sadness, but I get over it.

• kaik
    kaik

I grew up with it. My mom was brought into cult by my father sister-in-law who was JW since 1950's. She started to study with both of them, my father was a victim of political purges in 1969, difficult times socially and economically. Then came the buzz to 1975, I think my parents studied for years, but my dad refused to get baptised, but my mom did around 1975 or so. Many people who joined in 1960's & 1970's saw only god Jehovah capable smashing communist system.

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

I was 26 when I met a girl to whom I fell in love. Only problem was that she was studying with the JW:s, and would not marry anyone else but a dub. So I started to investigate this religion (study) and I did like things with this new teachings learned (anti militarism, worldwide brotherhood, that they really care about their brothers and sister, no hell) a.sf.. So 1 year after that my girlfriend was baptized I was baptized and we got married. Now 40 years later we have 6 children, all of us are out except my wife. For more than 20 years I have been an elder in two congs. TMS, but the last 20 years I have slowly been fading, trying to get my children out – with good result. My wife still active, but I think she knows the TTATT, very well. But she is very loyal to all her old friends, and cannot leave.

What made me leave was the hypocrisy, their total ignorance of facts, their shunning of those with a different viewpoint. Their reinstallment of hell (in Armageddon). Also the fact that they are registered as an religious aid organization, with no obligations to give an account statement in public. Also their interest in grasping for more money. Owing more KH, branch offices, a.s.f. This is obviously not a religious aid org. it is more likely real estate company with a bunch of “directors” providing themselves with authority, reputation, prestige and most probably with money.

Bugbear

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i was raised from infancy. it was my mother that accepted a study with the witnesses, my father was very into politics and he wanted to meet them to show them they were wrong. he said he couldn't.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

I was in my mid 30's and life wasn't going so well. I'd lost my best friend in a car accident, I'd recently moved to a new place and didn't know anyone, I was unable to work due to panic attacks and agoraphobia....JW's got me at my lowest ebb, I was totally vulnerable and pretty depressed. Suddenly "bang!" instant friends who "LOVED" me, encouraged me, and the promise of eternal life in Paradise to boot....what's not to like?

I studied for several years, and was about 2 weeks away from baptism when I found this site, that combined with the unexpected death of my mother and the guilt they always made me feel because I wasn't good enough/trying hard enough/praying enough........I had had enough, walked out of the convention after 10 minutes (I was a little late as I had been visiting my mother in intensive care!).. so I made a point of visiting this site a lot because I became depressed again and my anxiety was horrendous. I look back at my first posts and threads now and don't recognise the person who wrote those garbled incoherant posts.................... I asked for help and support..and was saved.

Paula x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit